Mitutoyo Measuring Equipment

-

moparspares

Reaction score
I had been using a summit dial indicator and found it wasnt real accurate when filing back my rings on an electric ring filer. I was getting .001 to .003 discrepancies. I just bought a Mitutoyo 2414S Dial guage and have found it is so much better. The hands have a nice smooth operation and the outside bezel is nice and tight and the overall weight and manufacture is superior and it was only $60. These are made in Japan and I only wished I bought this from the start. If I buy any more measuring equip I will be sure to check out their range first.

Attachments

• Dial Indicator.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 317
Fowler? I doubt that. as above, Mit, Starrett, and Brown & Sharpe

Mitutoyo is like the Lexus of Japanese tools, Very good. I would say Starrett was the Cadillac, well maybe the OLD Caddy! HF is the Yugo....

Fowler? I doubt that. as above, Mit, Starrett, and Brown & Sharpe

Fowler isn't too bad but not as good as Starrett, B&S, and Mit. in that order. I have quite a collection of Fowler instruments I had a Brown & Sharpe dial caliper years ago that was absolutely smoother than any other brand.........................until I DROPPED it! I donated it and the wooden box to a car guy that was making a "best engineered" trophy. LOL tmm

we used to use teclock dials when they were only 20 bucks a pop instead of mitutoyo at 120 , since then teclock went up - mit has come down.

dropped one once from 10 feet onto the boring mill table, smashed em with the chuck, tool post, etc. - tough as hell

insize is relatively new and their gear seems pretty good, but the same price as mitutoyo

All my precision measuring gear is mitutoyo, and my rules, combination sets, pitch gauges, dividers, etc. is starret, both good in my opinion - just personal preference

Since both Mit and Starrett are so difinitive, makes it easy to search "all of" CL for deals

I had always thought starrett was the cats meow. I was wrong. I always though Mitutoyo was junk. Again I was wrong. I just bought a Mitutoyo dial bore indicator to go with my safe queen tools.

Check out this site.

http://longislandindicator.com/

LOTS of info. I decided on going with a Mitutoyo Dial bore gauge because they have a good parts availability. THe site said the best bang for the buck on 1" dial calipers is Starrett. My current search on ebay is for a1-2 and a 2-3 swiss made outside mics from brown and sharpe. I decided all that from the info on that site. If you search around on that sight with the alpha letters towards the bottom of the home page you can find what your looking for.

-
Back