mixing years

-
I always build my cars different and have always got decent money out of them not great but decent and long as it's done tastefully and divulged but not everyone will do that

do whatever the hell you want its your car... if you're building it to please someone else you're not doing it right!

You wouldn't believe how much grief I get when building a car "why are you doing that" untill it's compleated and they see the whole picture and say "not bad"

I usually don't care when people mix and match stuff but one thing that I don't like is when people will put a 70-72 Dart front clip on a Dart Sport to make a Demon clone and they don't change out the tail panel. I don't see what's so bad about later A body front ends, I love them.

This is kind of parroting what has already been said. For classic muscle cars, I prefer correct looking. I am 100% OK with non-stock motor, tranny, shaved door handles, and other custom tweaks, etc. But for these cars I am not a big fan of mixing years. Older cars (like 49 Fords, 39 Plymouth, etc, are more of a blank canvas to me.
That being said, I TOTALLY agree that you should build your car however you want or need to. If you have a 69 Barracuda but prefer the 68 front end go for it. . Or if you cannot find or afford a 69 front end but found a more plentiful 67 or 68, then go for it. I do like the hood inserts on the 68 hoods. At the car show, I will notice the difference, but I would NEVER be so rude as to point it out to the owner. I ALWAYS talk to the owner about how cool the car is, the paint job, interior, etc. If he mentions the differences, then I will comment on them, but always in a positive way. I would NEVER slam anybody else's car in any way. That person is happy with and proud of their car; be happy with them.

I've got a 74 Scamp that Im painting Bright Northstar White, which is a 2015 mopar color, it will likely have a 73 grill in it as well cause I like it better than the 74. I also have the rear tail panel changed to the 70 style as well as both marker lights have been change to the 70 style. It came with a /6 but a 318 painted orange is going in which is also the wrong color for that year Im pretty sure, the 440 that will go in down the road aint stock either. 95% who see the car will never have a clue, those that do...well...

Its my car, im doing what I want.

Rallye wheels that were not available til 70, gas cap off of a 68 Charger, dual snorkel hood scoop, a factory style Swinger stripe despite it not being a true Swinger, front bumper from a 67 Dart... In fact the hood is from a 67 Dart (the lettering gives that away) I have no problem using what you have, whats available, or what tickles your fancy.. As has been said several times before, a car should be built to please the owner.. not everyone else.. Im not going to discount the other valuable opinions mentioned though, my Dart was a no frills, grandma grocery getter... If I have wanted to build a complete restoration of a particular muscle car (like if mine had been a true 340, 4-speed, Swinger) then I would not mix parts from other years, as that wouldn't make much sense to me

Attachments

• dart11.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 281
  • dart12.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 255
I'm running a 6 pack on my 69 Fury since forever - not one complaint.
On Jake's 65 B'cuda, rallye wheels, we morphed an all steel E body bulge hood section and recessed a 68 flip open gas cap - no complaints or nay-sayers as of yet.
I had a 69 Road Runner that I put E body door handles in and was doing the same to the 69 Coronet I sold - no complaints on either.

None of my cars have been rare specimens.

Build what ya like and like what ya build.

I'm on the fence about doing an E-bulge hood for my 68 B'cuda ragtop and maybe E body door handles. I will have the 69 gas cap because I like the look of "FUEL" spelled out on it as opposed to the smooth version. Was a 318 car and I am making it a 383 car. Either going with magnum 500's or body color cop wheels with poverty caps.

Im kinda of like Jonnny Cashes song, it a 56 57 58 59.......year automobile!

Like what was said, Build what you like, like what you build.

The plan for my 65 Dart wagon will be pretty much stock exterior but all 66 Barracuda interior. I'm swapping the complete Barracuda dash (although it's modified with a Dakota digital conversion) and frame, front seats and rear fold down seat plus a B Body buddy seat/fold down armrest. Why? Because I wanted an oil pressure gauge which other early A dashes lacked and I think the 66 dash looked the best. I had all the 66 Barracuda seats and upholstery is readily available for them whereas nothing is available for a wagon or sedan interior. I wanted the folddown armrest just because.

I think you'll get more crap about it on FABO than in the real world. Most people would just see a cool car, and not fret over every little detail.

like the others said if it is at barrett-jackson as a 1 of 34 blah blah it should be right.

My 75 Swinger will probably get a 71 front end and a 70 rear bumper and splash pan. And 70/71 markers. Not sure yet if I will swap doors, but probably.

The 71 that I have will probably be cloned into a 67-69 hybrid, using 68 fenders and grille, painted 67 front bumper, painted 67 rear bumper with the reverse light holes filled, 67 decklid, and 69 tail lights.

Some of you are probably wondering why not keep the 71 a 71 and make the 75 a 68. Well, the 75 is a rust free car that I don't have the heart to cut the back six inches or so off of, where the 71 has been a drag car since 1976 and has already been cut on LOTS. Both cars started life as sick cylinders.

I've also seen some interesting front clip type "mash-ups".

A 73 Dart with a 69 Valiant nose.

Painted nice in white. Made me think they should have built 67-69 Valiant hard tops.

A 70 Coronet with a 68 Charger nose.

Painted nice in F3 green, and other than the transplant, look 100% bone stock.
That car caused a LOT of double and triple takes.

I say hell yeah!
My frankenstein car in my build thread is a good example of doing what you can with what you got.....
1974 Dart Sport slant 6 column auto car originally.
1980 360 out of a Newport.
4 speed and drive shaft out of a '71 Duster 340.
4 speed floor hump out of a '71 Duster 318 3 speed floor shift car.
Bellhousing, all linkage, radiator, and driver's door off of a '74 Duster 318 4 speed car.
Left front fender and front ''beak'' off of a '75 Dart 4 door.
All interior ,windshield, and all electrical wiring out of a '75 dart Sport minus headliner and visors. (complete)
B-Body 8 3/4'' rear end out of my old '69 Super Bee with used cone sure grip and new 3:55 gears and bearings.
15X6 1/2'' Rallye wheels off a '76 Cordoba on the back.
K-member and all steering and brakes out of a '74 Hang 10 Dart Sport (rebuilt).
Exhaust manifolds off of a '73 340 Dart Sport.
Hood scoop and air cleaner were off of a '74 Dart Sport 360 though.......

I've also seen some interesting front clip type "mash-ups".

A 73 Dart with a 69 Valiant nose.

Painted nice in white. Made me think they should have built 67-69 Valiant hard tops.

A 70 Coronet with a 68 Charger nose.

Painted nice in F3 green, and other than the transplant, look 100% bone stock.
That car caused a LOT of double and triple takes.

Speaking of that, I have seen a 69 Dart with a 70/71 front clip.. Car was orange with a black top and black tail stripe if im not mistaken.. Saw it at the Mopar Nationals a few years back.. I was amazed how good it looked

ok, I was losing sleep over an idea I had but now I don't feel so bad.

I have a 70 duster 340 that is scrap so I was going to take all the good parts and transfer to a 72 duster shell.

so the result will be a 72 duster (by vin because I leave the vins where they originally were) with 70 markers and taillights and deck lid and rally dash. but with the 72 slant six (because it runs like a tuned sewing machine) and 74 bench seat. All painted in a 70 high impact color.

ok, I was losing sleep over an idea I had but now I don't feel so bad.

I have a 70 duster 340 that is scrap so I was going to take all the good parts and transfer to a 72 duster shell.

so the result will be a 72 duster (by vin because I leave the vins where they originally were) with 70 markers and taillights and deck lid and rally dash. but with the 72 slant six (because it runs like a tuned sewing machine) and 74 bench seat. All painted in a 70 high impact color.

You go girl!
I love it already, show some pics when you can! :cheers:

Now that I think about it, I hear more crap about saving the Fury as a whole and no crap about the 6-pack I'm running on it...... I get the "why bother with a C body" question frequently. My answer to them is because I can take the whole family cruising, and carry a complete cook-out lunch including a gas grill and cooler anywhere I want - and STILL close the trunk. Besides, I have a mooring slip big enough to dock it, the car itself was given to me, it's an endangered species, it has no roof, it's fun to cruise in, the wife won't drive it because "it's too big", I've got my Coast Guard approved safe boaters card, my garage door buttons are red and green - red is on the right as I return home, I can fit 4 people in the front seat and 4 more in the rear seat ... and I like it.

Now that I think about it, I hear more crap about saving the Fury as a whole and no crap about the 6-pack I'm running on it...... I get the "why bother with a C body" question frequently. My answer to them is because I can take the whole family cruising, and carry a complete cook-out lunch including a gas grill and cooler anywhere I want - and STILL close the trunk. Besides, I have a mooring slip big enough to dock it, the car itself was given to me, it's an endangered species, it has no roof, it's fun to cruise in, the wife won't drive it because "it's too big", I've got my Coast Guard approved safe boaters card, my garage door buttons are red and green - red is on the right as I return home, I can fit 4 people in the front seat and 4 more in the rear seat ... and I like it.

yes I hear that ...as a former C-body person I used to hear it myself. I had a 78 Newport 2 door with the rare optional T-code 440 (newports commonly had a 400) and it was a nice car and of course no one appreciated it.

I find myself treating cars like they have feelings and I want to save as many as I can.

I got out of C-bodies for many reasons but not being into them was not one of those reasons. I am glad to hear of people out there holding on to them and treating them nice.

My 67 Barracuda is a 70 Go Mango, has a 71 Ebody pistol grip shifter in it.....why? because I love that color, and who dosent like a pistol grip? LOL.....my wifes 64 Valiant will be Curious Yellow.....why? she likes that color!!
Make it the way you want....

...and there was that 69 Dart convertible with the 73 Duster/Scamp front clip.

That looked pretty good.

i say its my car my choices if another person dont like it then they can piss off and move on

-
Back