modern brakes for duster?

-

dustadude

Reaction score
I've been sitting around wondering if any one with a pre 73 A body has tried to use modern mopar brakes from say a charger, challenger, or 300? I know us pre 73 guys have a hard time having to scavenge the posts to convert to bbp, and thought maybe this modern conversion was possible? Any thoughts?

The first issue would be bolt pattern. Normally, all the modern brake conversions are hat style rotors. Old rotors have their brake surfaces removed to create the hub, then a hat rotor slides over. The LX car rotors have a center bore that is larger than the old hub. A centering ring needs to be made to correct this. From there I don't know if the mounting ears for the pbr caliper are any different than the tried and true cobra parts. I use the SRT rotors but different calipers.

Quite a design effort. Many dimensions must match between spindles, rotors, and calipers, both diameters and axial positioning. Much easier to buy a set from a company that already did so, and made the custom brackets needed. Scarebird is affordable. Wilwood, SSBC, and others are much more. You can also buy the 1973+ setup w/ all new parts on ebay but about the same price as Wilwood's kit.

If scavenging, the spindle is the critical part. You can use one from an Aspen/Volare or even B-body (see posts). You can buy a tapered sleeve to keep your UCA. The other parts can be bought new from rockauto, etc., just eat the core charge. Dust shields are rare, but not required.

Front spindles, rotors and calipers from an 85 5th Ave on mine. Rear rotors from the front of a 95 Intrepid, rear calipers are 78 up Cadillac metrics with E- brake and brackets from Speedway motors. I did use later model large joint control arms.

Dr. Diff sells awesome brake kits. You can get the stock '73 up 10.95" disks, the later 11.75" disks that came on the B/R bodies, or 13" disks with either "cobra style" calipers or brembo's.

I have a set of his 13" rotors with cobra style calipers on my Duster. They're awesome. And very competitively priced compared to Wilwood, SSBC, Baer, etc.

For the amount of time and effort it would take to convert a set from another car, make the brackets etc, you'd be money ahead with one of Dr. Diff's kits.

-
Back