modified hood

-
Would you mind commenting further on choice of high build primer?

Nice work on the hood. Very unique, always a plus for me.

I personally use PPG K36 or K38. I have also used the evercoat slick sand bnut I use strictly PPG paints and like to use their entire system. I know it's a little pricey but you get what you pay for. Just my 2c worth.
Also, anytime I have bare metal I use epoxy first as dodgecity said.

I want this!! I have talked to people about this on here and I am finally glad to see one made, if you decide to part ways with it let me know!

shoot me a pm, almost everything is for sale. Notice I said ALMOST

Would you mind commenting further on choice of high build primer?

Nice work on the hood. Very unique, always a plus for me.

Sure. Anytime you have an extensive amount of work on a panel like this case, best way to handle it after the initial filler skims and blocking is to apply a polyester primer in order to have a good even surface unmarred and marked up with lines from filler spreaders on the panel. It's skim coating with a spray gun. You do need at least a 1.8-2.2 tip gun. Don't let it sit in the gun over 30 minutes or it will start kicking in the gun. I like the 2.2 best and recommend it. You can reduce with fast urethane grade reducer at a rate of no more than 10-15%. 3 good wet coats per session is my way with 10 min flash. I will see if I can get a pic of how smooth the primer looks compared to hand skimming with 2k glaze. There will be orange peel in it but that's ok. Kinda like build in guide coat. Most of it will hit the floor anyway if the prior filling and blocking steps were handled ok. I will seal it with urethane or epoxy before color. Polyester primered stuff is not meant to be left out side either. Porous to say the least. Good luck.

Before picture. Upside down sorry. Not very user friendly in iPhone. Hopefully you get the idea. Lol.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 712
BTW Slick Sand and G2 are evercoat polyester products. Same as the rage and extreme fillers. All polyester be it spray or spread are the same in one.. Does PPG make a line of filler glaze? It was mentioned about only using one line of product. I have no issues with using different lines of primers with different paint. I don't always use the same line of base and clears. No biggie to me but if in doubt stay in the same line.

to be honest i had never thought of it like that, that is a great explaination, i guess i am just a creature of habit. I agree with you on what you are saying, i am just to country to put it so elegant. haha. Thanks for the great insight.
anyhow, I am priming today and will put some pics up maybe tomorrow.

well I got it in some primer......

Attachments

• IMG_3500.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 677
  • IMG_3501.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 677
BTW Slick Sand and G2 are evercoat polyester products. Same as the rage and extreme fillers. All polyester be it spray or spread are the same in one.. Does PPG make a line of filler glaze? It was mentioned about only using one line of product. I have no issues with using different lines of primers with different paint. I don't always use the same line of base and clears. No biggie to me but if in doubt stay in the same line.

Thanks. I've heard some of the high build primers are more prone to shrinkage and cracking than others. Any thoughts on that?

The hood will be nice. The guage idea reminds me of a turbo trans am I had with lights there.

You see more shrinkage in the epoxies and urethanes primers. Also and especially the old outdated laquer primers (big no no). Not the case with polyester primer. It will fill a 40 grit and not Shrink. When it goes thru the cure cycle of a few hours it is what it is. I prefer starting between 80-120 though when blocking polyester. . I will leave the polyeser primer in 180 and top that with urethane primer.Then it's ready for final sanding. If ya get it down fine enought you can just seal over the slick sand. Guide coating thru the whole process is always the correct path to take. That's what I use laquer primer for is guide coating. Keep it mixed up in my old suction gun hanging by the bench.

I am liking the pics. Cool ride.

Also I like to leave my filler in 80-180 before polyester primer. Three threw the 40 grit Lin in fit an illustration.

Wow!! That sure does look great :cheers: good job :colors:

i got the car in some paint today, the hood should be ready tomorrow or friday, so i thought i would post a couple pics of the car

Attachments

• IMG_3502.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 627
  • IMG_3504.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 619
Looks awesome. Orange always just jumps out at you.

Looks great man......love the modified hood....great work.

thanks guys, the color is actually viper red but it looks orange in the photos and under street lights....planning a tail strip in semi gloss black and some black on the hood as well. I will get some better pictures up after I do the cut and buff thing.

hood is painted and 2/3 of the car is buffed, now if this snow will melt I can drive her a little, after i drop it 2" and tint the windows, haha

Attachments

• 2013-03-25_14-57-29_930.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 560
-
Back