modifying k member

-

yeah

The gang’s all here
Reaction score
hey guys, i know some of you did this mod. I wanna reinforce my k member and also , cut it up and be able to fit bigger oil pans in and gain some clearance. So now my motor is out and my k member i still in the car . Do you think this mod would be done better when the k member is in the car or out of it? I guess im worried about possibly of warping it if i put to much heat in it, so i feel like it being in a car is like it being in a jig and lesser possibility of warping. correct me if im wrong.

Thanks

I'd like to do it in car myself. The only draw back is a heavy engine to lift up and around again and again for test fitting.

I cut mine up, put plates on it then bolted back in the car and cut the tubes to fit and welded it up.

Remove the K-member and build a jig. I built one that uses all four mounting holes because I had to straighten a K-member. It's much easier to work on the k-member out of the car. We also had the engine on the stand with the oil pan bolted on for test fitting. I had a perfectly straight K-member to make a pattern from. In the pics you will see how far off this one was. That's why I removed the bottom part. Once you make the jig you can remove any amount you want to and still keep it square.

Attachments

• DW233202.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 394
  • DW233203.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 315
  • DW233204.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 316
  • DW233205.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 308
  • DW233206.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 349
  • DW233207.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 338
If you're going to take remove any sizable pieces I would built a jig like Jim mentioned just to make sure everything lines up when you're done. But keep in mind that even a jig won't hold a piece true if it's welded incorrectly, warped is warped.

Without any major structural changes though a jig isn't mandatory. I fully seam welded and reinforced the K's that are in my Dart and my Duster without a jig and didn't have any issues. That doesn't mean you CAN'T warp a K member doing that, I'm sure you probably could. But if you're decently versed in welding then you should have an idea of how to weld on something like a K member without warping it. They're pretty heavy items.

As for the factory welding on the stock K-members, yikes. The welding on both of mine was seriously ugly. On the Duster the steering mount welds had cracked, allowing the steering mount to flex back and forth when the wheels were turned. It had a ton of play in the steering (obviously) that I originally thought was in the box, til I had a helper turn the wheel back and forth and watched the steering box flop around. :violent1: While the K member was true, I had to do a decent amount of work to get the steering mount squared away before I started reinforcing.

I'm sure seam welding and reinforcing/gusseting the K's stiffens them up, though I'm not sure it's something I'd ever notice driving my car (as long as nothing broke!). But after seeing the welds on the ones I've done so far, I'll be seam welding and reinforcing any K member that comes out of one of my cars before it goes back in. Obviously it's not a "must-do" kind of thing if everything is working, but for me if I pull one out it'll go back in fully seam welded and reinforced, regardless of the intended use of the car. Just piece of mind for me.

hey guys thanks for all the responses and all the info. I guess ill see what is easier to do either in car or out. Sorry for getting back to this so late but life happend. Close buddy's family member is about to pass on :( . so my mind has been somewhere else.

but thanks again.

-
Back