Modman Maniac!

-
Well I think we've finally cracked this nut…
eusa_clap.gif

1st – I advanced the initial timing to 21 deg…with a max of 27 all in at WOT. This certainly helped responsiveness and the mids…but didn’t eradicate the lean bog when I nailed it.

it was suggested t me that the cylinder pressure will be poor at launch due to the slow filling of the cylinders...so it could handle more initial than I was originally running....

My 0-60 improved from consistent 4.1s to 3.96

2nd – I changed the carb linkage to a 1: 1 instead of progressive – and retuned - this has added a really noticeable amount of mid range to the point where the tyres are struggling for traction even when I just feed the throttle in – It also helped the lean bog when I rugged it…(but not completely) - it ran a best of 3.81...a new PB!

3rd…so after one failed effort…I built a full divider out of alloy bar this morning – and Im happy to say the lean bog has disappeared…all it does now is turn the tyres when I nail it…these are MT Drag radials btw…

No 0-60 because the tyres are just blowing off..even when I roll in the throttle too quick
eusa_drool.gif

So if you plan on using one of these intakes with carbs...you can see there's a fair bit of tuning enhancement required..

No idea what it’ll do at the track…but it has to be better than it was before.

Great. Now you have a traction problem. ;)

Glad your tuning is going so well.

Maybe you ought to go back to the progressive linkage.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

fantastic. There should be a law to show the modifications and changes and the results approved on a Dyno. Thank you. Maybe more or less the numbers are good for a XV intake with a 750 Holley?

I've read that the XV intake loses a lot of bottom and mid range torque. Especially compared to the factory 5.7/6.1 intakes.

It's nice to see someone sticking with this intake and making it work. I wussed out and went the "easy" route of drilling mine out for injectors and going to EFI after having similarly disappointing performance issues with my carb setup. I figured it could get better with patience and tuning parts, but didn't know how much I might have to spend on said tuning parts before getting it right.

Hopefully I'll get to the track this Sunday and get some real hard data..

If not...I may dyno it again and see if theres been any peak hp improvement.

The car certainly feels like its making more mid range tq...

Good move on the 1:1 linkage ratio, I've always read that the dual quad carbs never works as well on a progressive setup. Looking forward to some updated track/dyno figures.

11.99 @ 114.6.

Full height divider, 21 initial timing, 1:1 linkage...

- 3/10ths faster over the qtr

- .09 sec better 60ft - Not perfect but def a lot better...even spun the tyres out of the hole on an early run!

- 2 mph better at 1/8th

- 1.45 mph better at the traps

Things to fiddle with...

- Refine the divider so its not shadowing the top plate holes.

- Try a bit more initial timing

- Test a larger pump shot

- Need to get new front tyres anyway - so will go down in width to 215/15s

- Think about an accusump so I can rev it past 7000.

Conclusion - The Modman is sh1t..its a supercharger intake pretending to be a carb intake.

If I could fit an Edelbrock DP dual quad I'd do it in a second.
http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=40509&start=105#wrap

-
Back