Mopar 284-528 mechanical cam

-

joes68340s

Reaction score
Who has run this cam. I just installed one and it seems very docile. I replaced a comp cam 305-525 cam and this thing is very mild sounding. This is what I was looking for. Are these cams mild sounding compared to the 284-484 cams I have run. this is milder sounding. Thanks

It's because of the centerlime being moved back that it has more driveability and less sound. But it's a great cam for street and mild racing and produces lots of torque and mid range HP up to 6500 rpm's.

I just put one in my freinds 340, seems to idle like a stocker. I have ran it in the past, great cam.

I give two thumbs up for this cam also. I ran one for years. Should have kept it. Even with low compression 9 to one motor, lots of vacuum and drivability. I know it is a dinasour......but a good one. Run it you will like it. Terry.

Thats a 240* duration mech. cam. The Solids loose a little duration to a Hyd. cam due to lash & Centerline (Whats ground in and where it's installed at) has a lot to do with the idle quality as well as the overlap.
I can tell you about a oval track/288 MP Purple that idles like a choping axe and a royal pain down low.

Has anyone who has run this cam played with different lash adjustments. And Thanks for the comments.

Yes I have and what I've found is .026 on the intake and .028 on the exhaust is best. Less lash more HP and more lash better torque. But this is the best that I've found and gives the best ET and MPH. Keep in mind that everything else in the engine has to do with how it will perform so there's nothing a given and each is to it's own, as engines go, every head or piston will dictate a different lash due to power or torque needs. But this is what I've done.

.028 and .032 (Int. and Exh.) is what is recommended for this cam. .026 and .028 is where I ran mine. It ran the best and made the most power and best numbers (ET and MPH) with this lash. Terry.

Also worth noting. I was using Harlan Sharp roller rockers, 1.65 ratio and that gave me .538 lift (intake) at the valve installed with lash set at .026. Engine really liked that 'tune'. Terry.

-
Back