Mopar 360 380hp crate...whos running them ?

-

ValerianMagnum

the little car that could
Reaction score
Since im propably buying back my 360 duster....whos running these super reliable engines..any mods or e.ts ? Always heard that a Abody was running low and mid 12s with the 380hp crate !

A stripped down A body might get you in the 12s. I have that motor in a 3480 lb duster. According to online calculators, it's a mid 13 sec ride. Very disappointing. I havent tested it yet. In fact, pulled the heads and replace with eddys

Teuton won with a speed of 120.65 mph, topping runner-up Monty Bogan Jr.’s 10.028 second et at 132.19 mph in a 1967 Camaro.

Teuton’s best run was a 9.887 et at 128.27 mph in Elimination Round 3 against a ’68 Camaro. His run to the title was also highlighted by a 9.926- to 9.927-second victory (approximately three feet) in Elimination Round 2 over the ’69 Mustang of Matt Morgan.
Teuton’s Duster ran consistent high-9s and low-10s throughout the event.

Teuton
Teuton won with a speed of 120.65 mph, topping runner-up Monty Bogan Jr.’s 10.028 second et at 132.19 mph in a 1967 Camaro.

Teuton’s best run was a 9.887 et at 128.27 mph in Elimination Round 3 against a ’68 Camaro. His run to the title was also highlighted by a 9.926- to 9.927-second victory (approximately three feet) in Elimination Round 2 over the ’69 Mustang of Matt Morgan.

“We ended up with the same mile-per-hour as Mr. Morgan, but we won by about three feet because of our better reaction time,” Teuton said. “The car launched real hard, put the wheels up in the air, and we were able to get by him.”

Teuton’s Duster ran consistent high-9s and low-10s throughout the event.

Teuton has measured the slightly modified engine at over 500-horsepower, although the Mopar Performance motor is rated at 380-horsepower out of the crate. Modifications consist of ported Magnum R/T steel heads, a hydraulic roller cam with .535 lift, an aluminum Mopar M1 intake and a Holley 750 cfm four-barrel carburetor.

The motor has made approximately 40 quarter-mile passes in addition to its extensive dyno testing.

The car is set up like a stock eliminator and weighs 2950 lbs with the driver, and it runs on 101/2 inch rear tires.
has measured the slightly modified engine at over 500-horsepower, although the Mopar Performance motor is rated at 380-horsepower out of the crate. Modifications consist of ported Magnum R/T steel heads, a hydraulic roller cam with .535 lift, an aluminum Mopar M1 intake and a Holley 750 cfm four-barrel carburetor.

The motor has made approximately 40 quarter-mile passes in addition to its extensive dyno testing.

The car is set up like a stock eliminator and weighs 2950 lbs with the driver, and it runs on 10-1/2 inch rear tires.

Houma native Teuton wins division in drag racing event

These guys built my 650 hp Procharged 408. Wish they were still around.

My neighbor has a 72 Duster with the 360/380 mag crate engine.
Beats the crap out of it at the track. Auto 4.30 gears full exhaust in street class. 12.50's all day long.
He has been on the same engine for 16 years and is not one to do any maintenance.

I run one in a 74 Road Runner with a 4 speed. I used the Magnum exhaust manifolds (92/93 Dakota) with it too.

I have that engine in the Dart with a Tremec 5 spd and a 4.10 8 3/4. I've never run it in a timed quarter but it doesn't feel like its mid-12's.
The PO installed the engine in 2007-08 and I've owned it since 2012. I put about 3,000 miles on it a year and it's been stone cold reliable. I've taken it camping in the Sierras' at over 6,000'; driven it to Spring Fling in Van Nuys.
Although in today's world, 380 hp doesn't feel very strong. I've got an itch to take it up a few notches or get one of Johnny's Blueprint engines.

Since im propably buying back my 360 duster....whos running these super reliable engines..any mods or e.ts ? Always heard that a Abody was running low and mid 12s with the 380hp crate !

A stripped down A body might get you in the 12s. I have that motor in a 3480 lb duster. According to online calculators, it's a mid 13 sec ride. Very disappointing. I havent tested it yet. In fact, pulled the heads and replace with eddys

@273 Please post up the dyno spec sheet to the 360/380 MP engine. Thanks.

Seen a bunch of these run @ Englishtown. Most guys told me there running low 12’s (12.2 that day.) but the racers knew a few fellas breaking into the 11’s. These cars were strip only rides. Zero interior. Just a shifter, seat and there stock dash.

I was also told by a few there running a very high stall converter and gear set. Peak engine power was interestingly at a low rpm. Remember, this is a 9.0-1 rated engine with a single plane intake and stock heads. The cam rated at .050 of 230 intake is a bit of a mistake IMO.

Here ya go

upload_2021-6-22_18-50-52.jpeg

Not sure how helpful this will be but I am running a box stock crate Magnum 300hp version with headers and a 904 with a 4.10 axle.

It behaves very much like a healthy pickup truck engine. All the power is down low. This characteristic is unmistakable when the trans shifts at 5600 or so and you get a bigger than expected surge of acceleration until it starts to fall off again with revs.

It’s quick but no rocket ship. Went side by side from a roll against my dad’s Scat Pack Challenger and the 392 pulled away pretty easily despite the 800lbs of extra weight. He had the advantage from the 8spd auto which helped the Challenger a lot of course.

The motor has been completely reliable, no idea how many miles are on it. It uses a bit of oil but no visible smoke or anything.

I always assumed the 380 version would be the answer to my complaints but I’ve since learned that I would be doing the same heads/cam swap regardless of what I started with and at least the 300 has a dual plane to start with.

A guy that used to do sheetmetal work for me built a 70 duster bare bones car. Street car but really no interior, bullet mufflers, 4.56 gears in a Dana and a rmvb 904 w/4500 stall and stuck a stone stock magnum 380 crate in it with an 850dp and headers. Car ran 11.90s pretty consistently at Fontana.

I ran a 73 Duster with the 380hp crate motor. At 3300lbs race weight with 3.91 gears and a 26 inch tire, it went 12.30's.View attachment 1715755172
Nice ride. And as the saying goes, a tenth for every hundred pounds. That puts it where those E-town racers said they were.

A guy that used to do sheetmetal work for me built a 70 duster bare bones car. Street car but really no interior, bullet mufflers, 4.56 gears in a Dana and a rmvb 904 w/4500 stall and stuck a stone stock magnum 380 crate in it with an 850dp and headers. Car ran 11.90s pretty consistently at Fontana.
Sounds exactly what I was told. A bit of gear and stall on the converter and your good.

Sounds exactly what I was told. A bit of gear and stall on the converter and your good.[/QUOTE]
It was a long time ago, but if I remember correctly he had the car all set up for much more engine and had a failure on the dyno or something. Maybe a cam went flat on break in. Hell idk but I do remember to go racing he went to mazzolini and bought a crate 380 of the shelf and stuck it in. We were all surprised by how well it ran. I wish I could remember the mph but I don’t.

Haven't run one, but as a measuring stick I don't have 380 hp and with 3.23's/stock converter I'm into the 12's. I cannot believe a well tuned 380 hp crate 360 wouldn't dive deep into the 12's, with modest gears.

Not sure how helpful this will be but I am running a box stock crate Magnum 300hp version with headers and a 904 with a 4.10 axle.

It behaves very much like a healthy pickup truck engine. All the power is down low. This characteristic is unmistakable when the trans shifts at 5600 or so and you get a bigger than expected surge of acceleration until it starts to fall off again with revs.

It’s quick but no rocket ship. Went side by side from a roll against my dad’s Scat Pack Challenger and the 392 pulled away pretty easily despite the 800lbs of extra weight. He had the advantage from the 8spd auto which helped the Challenger a lot of course.

The motor has been completely reliable, no idea how many miles are on it. It uses a bit of oil but no visible smoke or anything.

I always assumed the 380 version would be the answer to my complaints but I’ve since learned that I would be doing the same heads/cam swap regardless of what I started with and at least the 300 has a dual plane to start with.

The Base one is a 300 hp crate engine, the Mod one is eddy heads 750 airgap and comp 275 roller.

30b86e9e-6634-46f1-8ae7-8575bcae7dd8-png-png-png-png.png

Edelbrock Magnum heads?
Hydraulic roller? XL?

Here's the article
Yes to the eddy magnum heads and this is what it says about the cam
" Our cam choice would naturally be a hydraulic roller, since these late-model Mopar small-blocks are thus equipped. We wanted to keep the cam specs moderate and streetable, so we decided on a 230/236-degree duration at 0.050 Comp custom grind on a 110-degree lobe separation, using Comp's XFI hydraulic roller lobes No. 3016 and No. 3037 on the intake and exhaust, respectively. These lobes provide very quick valve action, giving 0.576/0.571-inch lift with a Magnum 1.6:1 rocker ratio. The stock Magnum hydraulic roller lifters and lifter-retainer spider assembly were kept."

How to Add 129hp to a 5.9l Mopar Magnum - Engine Buldup - Hot Rod Magazine

Thanks 273. I was trying to remember through the dog of years. I was thinking that the cam was beefier. The duration @050 is the same but the lobes and lift show a different story combined with the heads and intake.
A nice gain IMO.

Cant stand the hot rod site. Pop up galore so bad I can’t even read the freaking article. I had to close it out 2 times due to “My Award” for being a good guy…

Last edited:
Thanks 273. I was trying to remember through the dog of years. I was thinking that the cam was beefier. The duration @050 is the same but the lobes and lift show a different story combined with the heads and intake.
A nice gain IMO.

Would definitely be a good build for a lot to follow since there's ton's of running 5.9l magnums around, wonder how a set of trick flows would add over the eddies, 5.2l magnum would probably work similar.

I remember when I first read this in the magazine, I thought to myself this would be good to copy one day.
Pretty darn good for a 9.0-1 engine.

My Duster with a 383 was running 11.6. According to the formulas it was making 400 hp, that graft shows the 380 at 416 hp so it should run in the 11s easily. I have a 360 I put together 10 years ago with the .501 cam, m1 intake, factory top end kit with rockers, springs and retainers plus I ported the heads to their templates. Someday I hope to have it in a vehicle

Remember it lacks the big blocks torque a little bit making 11’s a little harder but do-able.

These 380 hp motors always come up for discussion. Similarily, have we forgotten the 410 hp Mopar Performance crate motor? I never heard of anyone having one

Are these 380 HP’s still available?

-
Back