Mopar 360-408 Build

-

servicegroup

Reaction score
First off, I want to thank everyone that has helped and shared information with me. I truly appreciate everyone's support and input.

That being said, The block has been check and has no issues. Just heard back earlier today. Well actually a Voicemail at some point I misses.

In an attempt to map out the entire build before I even touch it , I would like some input on my thoughts and if there are any areas that could be improved on.

All that I ask in return is please be kind. I have rebuilt a handful of engines back to factory but this will be my first "build" . All im asking for is a little help. This will begin in the next 2-4 weeks after all the parts have been order. Im taking the first week or so to plan and prep the shop.

Anyone interested in Updates just let me know or subscribe to the thread :)

360 Cast Block ( Obviously)
Scat Crank 9-360-4000-6123-2125
Scat H Beam 3606232124 Rods 6.123" Lenght
SRP 220157 Pistons
Moly Rings ( Please suggest Brands)
Clevite Bearings (Main and Rod)
Lunati 2020712 282/290 camshaft Hyd Roller
Crane Gold 64750R-1 Roller Rockers
Factory heads Opened Up
Standard Volume Oil Pump with drain backs chamfered

Its late and this all what I have on my order sheet. Im sure ive missed something. Let me know.

Attachments

• duster.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 467
  • dusty4.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 465
can not use kb107 pistons with a 4 inch stroke...they are for a 3.58 stroke..

can not use kb107 pistons with a 4 inch stroke...they are for a 3.58 stroke..

Man, thats what I told the guy he swore up and down they would work just fine.

I didnt know, i just did a little research...

Suggestions? I originally had down SRP 220157...

it is called compression height...kb107 are 1.67....a 4 inch stroker piston is around 1.45...the kb107 will slam into the heads...

SRP 220157 yes...those are for a 4 inch stroker

it is called compression height...kb107 are 1.67....a 4 inch stroker piston is around 1.45...the kb107 will slam into the heads...

SRP 220157 yes...those are for a 4 inch stroker

He mentioned KB191's maybe that's it and I was confused.. I will stick with the SRP's

In his defense I was on the fence about which way to go with this until we sat down for a couple hours.

SRP it is... Ill Change it Now

Good Looking Out

sorry kb191 are 360...3.58 stroke pistons also...

tell the idiot to look at the compression height of the pistons he is suggesting....if it is a 1.67 as i noted above it will not work with a 4 inch stroke...

it needs to be around 1.47...tell him to get a calculator and figure this **** out.....deck height minus 1/2 the stroke and rod length...equals the compression height.

9.60- 2 = 7.60-6.123= 1.477

or find someone else who knows mopars...

sorry kb191 are 360...3.58 stroke pistons also...

tell the idiot to look at the compression height of the pistons he is suggesting....if it is a 1.67 as i noted above it will not work with a 4 inch stroke...

it needs to be around 1.47...tell him to get a calculator and figure this **** out.....deck height minus 1/2 the stroke and rod length...equals the compression height.

9.60- 2 = 7.60-6.123= 1.477

or find someone else who knows mopars...

Yea, Its a shop thats been in business for years. back when my dad ran the streets. It started out with me the "ole man" and his son. Near the end he left it to the younger kid. I'll get em straight. I'll catch him alone again before we begin.

Any thing else? Anything I left out or looks off?

scat 4340 H beams will require a small notch to be ground in the bottom of the bores to clear the rod bolts...

scat 4340 I beams no not require any notching of the bore...plus they are about 100 grams lighter....

scat 4340 h beams will require a small notch to be ground in the bottom of the bores to clear the rod bolts...

Scat 4340 i beams no not require any notching of the bore...plus they are about 100 grams lighter....

sca 2icr6123-2124 ?

specs show ill need to get .001 machined off crank pin?

I suggest buying a reciprocating kit from a reputable Mopar vendor, so all the parts match and you get a better deal. I used a Hughes kit in mine, it had no issues on assembly and and it is running great.

I suggest buying a reciprocating kit from a reputable Mopar vendor, so all the parts match and you get a better deal. I used a Hughes kit in mine, it had no issues on assembly and and it is running great.

I was just looking at that. I looked at the Hughes kit earlier and Ill the honest the $2200 price tag make me clench... ha ha

After looking at what I would be spending buying it piece by piece you are right.

I found a Scat Kit for around $1400
I also found a Clegg kit for $1200

Something tells me to stay away from the cheaper clegg kit. Again , ive never bought either but I have used Scat parts before.

Any insight?

I was just looking at that. I looked at the Hughes kit earlier and Ill the honest the $2200 price tag make me clench... ha ha

After looking at what I would be spending buying it piece by piece you are right.

I found a Scat Kit for around $1400
I also found a Clegg kit for $1200

Something tells me to stay away from the cheaper clegg kit. Again , ive never bought either but I have used Scat parts before.

Any insight?

When comparing kits, just be sure you are comparing apples to apples. I didn't look up your part numbers, but are you planning on running a forged crank and forged pistons?

I opted for a cast crank and Hyperuretic pistons kit from Hughes, as my power output is just south of 500 hp. My compression ratio is 10.2 to 1, and it runs great with no sign of detonation on 91 octane pump gas.

Subscribed!

I am planning to find a 360 roller LA engine and do a 408 build too.
This should be interesting!

Jeff

Pretty sure im going with the Scat kit.. Any objections?

I went with the forged Scat crank and H beam rods. I bought the kit unbalanced from Summit. It came with forged Icon pistons. Maybe over kill for your application, but I considered it insurance. I also bought the unbalanced kit and had my local guy do it. You can read my whole build by clicking on the link below.

DieWilde13, the link just brings me to a search page on Summit. What kit did you intend to post?

Tony, do you know how much power those I beams will handle?

When comparing kits, just be sure you are comparing apples to apples. I didn't look up your part numbers, but are you planning on running a forged crank and forged pistons?

I opted for a cast crank and Hyperuretic pistons kit from Hughes, as my power output is just south of 500 hp. My compression ratio is 10.2 to 1, and it runs great with no sign of detonation on 91 octane pump gas.

500 is what I am shooting for with my build (except im having Mike at MRL build it)
I don't know where the drop of is but there might not be a need for all forged internals
depending on power output and intended use a cast set-up may do just fine

another thing to keep in mind is balancing
I don't know if your 360 is externally balanced but if it is you will need to address that, get a zero balance torque converter and harmonic balancer

since we are on the subject of torque converters, when the engine is done run all the specs by a reputable torque converter builder and have them make you a good converter so you can both use and enjoy the power your stroker puts out

500 is what I am shooting for with my build (except im having Mike at MRL build it)
I don't know where the drop of is but there might not be a need for all forged internals
depending on power output and intended use a cast set-up may do just fine

another thing to keep in mind is balancing
I don't know if your 360 is externally balanced but if it is you will need to address that, get a zero balance torque converter and harmonic balancer

since we are on the subject of torque converters, when the engine is done run all the specs by a reputable torque converter builder and have them make you a good converter so you can both use and enjoy the power your stroker puts out

Yes Sir. Will Do. I will have rotating assembly ordered next week and then let the fun begin.

;)

-
Back