Mopar 360 idling strange

-

Turk

Reaction score
It's starting to get very cold at night up here in New York and as of this passed weekend my car has not been likening it at all, usually it will start second crank and hold idle but now it just does if you don't give it gas, then as soon as it's idling it sits around 500 it drives fine it's just idling very rough, it has all new gaskets for the carb and intake manifold, if I give it a little gas at idle it'll bounce up to 1000 hold for a little then slowly make its way back down to 5 like I said it just started doing this and the car ran strong and fine the day before

Your going to have to go back through everything. Did it start after you put new gaskets on the intake, and carb? What engine? Carb? Intake? Check for vacuum leaks, choke issues. Usually the Last thing worked on is the first you should check. Could be condensation in the distributor, cracked cap, check the basic stuff first.

Check your choke settings

x2.

Check your choke settings first.

Then make sure the reluctor gap in the distributor is set properly to .007" with brass feeler gauge (non-magnetic)...

Check that the secondaries are fully closed. If they are, then;
Look down the primaries when it's idling slow, and see if fuel is dribbling out the nozzles, or anywhere else. That should not be.

At this time of year, icing can be a problem. Also at this time of year gasoline suppliers are formulating winter-gas. Did this just start after a recent fill-up?

Also if the carb was jetted a little lean for economy in the summer, you might be to lean as it gets colder air gets denser and needs to be a little richer.

Also if the carb was jetted a little lean for economy in the summer, you might be to lean as it gets colder air gets denser and needs to be a little richer.

It's an edelbrock 600 with a performer manifold, I was playing around with the mixtures screws last night and it started to run better after I turned them about 2 1/2-3 turns out but of course with my luck went to go tighten the hold down bolt for the carb and the stud snapped off into the manifold so now I definitely have a leak

It's an edelbrock 600 with a performer manifold, I was playing around with the mixtures screws last night and it started to run better after I turned them about 2 1/2-3 turns out but of course with my luck went to go tighten the hold down bolt for the carb and the stud snapped off into the manifold so now I definitely have a leak

Yea, that's like WAY too tight.

Wayyyyy to tight if it snapped a bolt! Hope you can get it out without alot of trouble. I have no advice to offer except, we don't have those issues here in Florida.

-
Back