MOPAR Dead?

-
So there's this new thing (or at least a relatively new term for it) called "rage bait".

It's like click bait but it's specifically written to incite rage.

ALL the "NEW" cars are junk anymore IMHO & none will last like the ones from the 70s back. Too much computerized gadgets & these techs can't fix em'. No one want's to be responsible for their own stupid actions while driving either, so the car tells them when they are doing something dumb, & people start relying on it. Cars are getting smarter & people are getting dumber!
I don't know. Some of the older cars rusted out and tore up pretty bad. I think every decade has its pieces of crap.

So there's this new thing (or at least a relatively new term for it) called "rage bait".

It's like click bait but it's specifically written to incite rage.
Like jail bait? lol

Agree. There are plenty of Studebaker and Packard lovers around.
Like the Chrysler name,we are a dying breed.
Yes and some of those have more support than we do! lol

Bottom line is we are a dying breed. The gov ment will see to it.
If a guy really wants to stay in the old car hobby and enough years ahead of him to do so for some years, he better stock up on all the essential parts needed to keep it on the road.
One day, we will be like the guys that continue today to build tradition hotrods of the 50s.

Brand loyalty? I see any car as art (good or bad) and what they contribute to my needs, be it transportation or fun. Car companies give a chit about NOTHING but their bottom lines and execs care only about making their bread and bonus. They give a hit about me and I give chit about them, any of them.

ALL the "NEW" cars are junk anymore IMHO & none will last like the ones from the 70s back. Too much computerized gadgets & these techs can't fix em'.
…which, of course, is why the average age of a car on American roads in 1979 was 5.7 years, and that was up from 5.1 years in 1969. The 2013 figure was 11.4 years, that is just about double the 1979 figure. It hit 11.7 years in 2017, and the 2021 figure is 12.1 years. That’s the average age. Today's cars do a better job of staying out of the shop, too, which is why the service station with bays and lifts and stuff is mostly a thing of the past—not enough broken-down cars to support 'em, so gas stations have junkfood stores attached instead. Across the board, car quality and durability are far better and more consistent than ever before. We'll have to see how things play out with EVs; that might change the picture (Tesla's thrown-together junk, insurance companies totalling out electric cars because of cosmetic scratches on the battery case guard, Chinese-made cars, etc), but today's combustion-engine vehicles have longer working lives than the old ones we like. They just do.

I look at used car prices and the mileage on cars/trucks 2 years old with 150K on them.Still priced way up.
So you are right about them lasting longer with today's technology.
niceolddart, you have a point too. Cars today are not cost effective when it comes to repairs.
Things have changed from when I worked at the Dodge Dealer and our labor rate was $10 a hour.
There once was a time the thought was cars are a throwaway,drive 'um for awhile then get another.
If I was forced to own a EV I'd only lease never own. Only time will tell.
I just read a article on Hertz rent a car ditching 20K Tesla's because of repair costs and only using gas vehicles.

Econolines are good vans.

View attachment 1716193857

☆☆☆☆☆

Notice the "FEDERAL" Ammo Semi Trailer in the background... They want to protect those good Ford Vans.

Screenshot_20240118-144606_Gallery.jpg

☆☆☆☆☆

Modern car mileage?? FI and overdrive!! Precision built Jap car engines.
With the outrageous cost of a new vehicle, we better be able to drive it 500,000 mi with little repair!!

9-10 years ago I had a 95 Ford Ranger baby size truck, I bought it for $1000 with 150,000 and sold it with 350,000 mi. for $600 a few years later, running very terrible but still getting its usual 25 mpg. I didn't need it anymore and it needed a complete tune or wasted cam? Only expense as a $13 relay and a $20 water pump. OK so I bought a few used tires. A combo meal at Chic Fillet costs more today!

Not a fan of battery operated cars, but kind of intrigued by the coming Ramcharger concept. The electric motor part of EV’s seems to have gotten pretty good, just the battery tech has leveled off (IMO). So the idea of pure electric motors and an ICE engine running at a constant load and RPM (thus perhaps maximizing efficiency) turning a generator seems to have some promise. Heck, make the ICE motor a diesel run on biofuel and now it doesn’t even use oil.

If they build a new Charger something like the Ramcharger concept (660+ hp, 690 mile range), I could see it being almost a game changer. Add a small battery so you can run errands without using any gas and most people could call it a true EV. And it could be lighter than the outgoing Charger and significantly lighter than a Tesla.

I’d miss the Hemi roar, but if Mopar had to buy credits from Tesla to build Hemi’s then something has to change.

Not a huge deal to me since I can’t afford any of them, just a comment.

I just read a article on Hertz rent a car ditching 20K Tesla's because of repair costs
Yeah, that's the reason they put out to the public. In fact, they bought all those Teslas in the first place as a means of securities manipulation. It was a shell game right from the start. Related: Tesla's main business isn't selling cars, it's selling emissions credits.

Something else that's changed over recent years is conspiracy Theories used to be for crazy people. Now it's just mainstream normality...

If you remember Plymouth had what? One model the last two years of production? Only three the year before that.

And Chrysler's has how many models the last few years? TWO.

If you're mad about this, be mad at yourself for not seeing this a while back. I mean seriously, look at the Chrysler website. TWO MODELS. Three if you count a hybrid version of a minivan.

Dodge ain't much better.

Ram Trucks and Jeep are all they really have right now.

Last edited:
The Hemi is gone because mopar has to go to Tesla and buy clean air credits for every new Hemi powered vehicle produced For the U.S. market. It’s a cash cow for Tesla not so much mopar.
Legit question......Why can Ford still build a gas Mustang but Mopar can't build a gas Challenger?

I just read a article on Hertz rent a car ditching 20K Tesla's because of repair costs and only using gas vehicles.
The tide is turning, vote with your wallet! History will look back on the ev fiasco.

Legit question......Why can Ford still build a gas Mustang but Mopar can't build a gas Challenger?

Cause they build enough econo boxes to offset the requirement. I guess.

And I think the Coyote motor produces much less emissions than the Hemi. There is a sliding bar graph on new car window stickers you can compare them with.

Cause they build enough econo boxes to offset the requirement. I guess.
Ford decided years back to invest in things such as dual injection ect so they would be able to meet modern EPA and CAFE standards. A lot of '24 Mustangs have Gas Guzzler tax in window stickers. Stalantis decided not invest in V8s milk it for all its worth short term profits was the strategy .. then hope the EVs with fake engine roaring sounds would sell.....

-
Back