mopar engine question

-

bradleyw

Reaction score
Hi,
I just bought my boyfriend and 1971 charger and we are having trouble figuring out exactly what engine it has. Maybe I'm in the wrong group but if anyone knows where I can get legit answers I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

A 71 Charger is not an "A-body" but if you post a photo of the engine (multiple pics help) we can def tell you what's in there.

Tell us the location of the distributor front or rear? That will get us started until you get some pics

Hi,
I just bought my boyfriend and 1971 charger and we are having trouble figuring out exactly what engine it has. Maybe I'm in the wrong group but if anyone knows where I can get legit answers I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

I hope you paid more for the charger then the boyfriend...

Hi,

Thanks!

We can tell you if you can post a few pictures of the engine for us. Different angles will help...

First question is "which end of the engine" is the distributor located?

so where do you live and dam,...Can I get your number?

sorry, Thats a joke but thats one hell of a gift for a fella.

Yeah some pics (of the motor) would be a help.

Nice job on the buy, check the trunk for rust... I looked at a few 71s and they are known for rusting in the trunk.....

yeah, and just because our A bodies are the little brothers of your charger, most people will agree we are a much better crowd to run with ;)

i think they cant find the engine:glasses7:

Hi,

Thanks!

Without any further information, all that we can tell you is that

it's a V-8...

Are you sure it's a '71 charger? Or is that what you were told?

she's teasing us and trying to make us jealous...!! now we all want to know how nice the car is she bought for her beau..

Its most likely a V-8. They did make a few Slanty powered Chargers, no?

Look through the windshield at the VIN tag. The 5th digit shows what the car came with when new. But 44 years have gone by and it could be anything now.
The 6th digit is the model year....1=1971

G=318
L=383
N=383 Hi-Perf
R=426 Hemi
T=440
U=440 Hi-perf
V=440 6 pak

If it's R or V, don't tell anyone else but me and I'll give you $100 more than what you paid.:D

The CID is cast into the drivers side of the block.

It will also be stamped in, but the stamp location differs depending on what engine family it it is.

(ignore all the negative comments also)

Let's chalk this one up as done

lol, no kidding, when I first read this I had to double check the posting date...sounded like something that one of our members would post on april first to see how much "help" we offer a damsel in distress

-
Back