Mopar Magazines

-
I can't count the number of times Mopar Muscle was flat out WRONG in their tech and other articles. MA has tried for years to provide restoration reference photos and discuss what's correct for the resto crowd.

Then I got damn tired of "Steve Dulcich builds ANOTHER junkyard motor let's see how much pow... Ohh my goodness we made so much power on the Dyno but we won't ever bolt this motor into a car and describe what it's like to actually drive/live with it". MA at least gives you driving impressions.

When your "tech" articles are "we got this cool kit from someone that always just happens to advertise in this rag and now we'll follow along with the included instructions and put it together".... No thanks. I'm not buying a magazine to hold my hand through kit built crap. That's what Hot Rod is for. MA has actually built cars and put them to the rest (which Hot Rod has too) while MM never did.

I think the last two years I subscribed to MM, I counted five engine build that were only about max Dyno power, three "replace a panel" body work articles that were all very basic and carbon copied, and four disc brake swaps that were just kits. Yawn. The car articles were carbon copied from prior articles too. Yawn.

MA will at least tell you straight up if they think something is crap, even if they have to veil that it's someone that advertises in their magazine.

I can't count the number of times Mopar Muscle was flat out WRONG in their tech and other articles. MA has tried for years to provide restoration reference photos and discuss what's correct for the resto crowd.

Then I got damn tired of "Steve Dulcich builds ANOTHER junkyard motor let's see how much pow... Ohh my goodness we made so much power on the Dyno but we won't ever bolt this motor into a car and describe what it's like to actually drive/live with it". MA at least gives you driving impressions.

When your "tech" articles are "we got this cool kit from someone that always just happens to advertise in this rag and now we'll follow along with the included instructions and put it together".... No thanks. I'm not buying a magazine to hold my hand through kit built crap. That's what Hot Rod is for. MA has actually built cars and put them to the rest (which Hot Rod has too) while MM never did.

I think the last two years I subscribed to MM, I counted five engine build that were only about max Dyno power, three "replace a panel" body work articles that were all very basic and carbon copied, and four disc brake swaps that were just kits. Yawn. The car articles were carbon copied from prior articles too. Yawn.

MA will at least tell you straight up if they think something is crap, even if they have to veil that it's someone that advertises in their magazine.
I don't understand the animosity towards the partnership of advertising & features/promotions, it is beneficial to all parties, why is it a bad thing? Should a magazine not feature any product some person/group actually invested time & $$$$ in developing and producing for Mopars simply because they are also spending $$$ to advertize in(read "support") said magazine???
I get it, You think the content is stale, OK fair enough. Many engine builds are featured & documented/dyno'd w/o ever being installed in a vehicle, that is not unique to a single mag, projects cost $$$$. Intake/cam/carb/header/combo tests can't possibly all be track-tested, it would bankrupt a rag, the dyno-time is enough. I saw value in all of the mags, because they supported My hobby, something sorely lacking in the mid '80's when I had My 1st Mopar('83). Just My 2cents.

I don't understand the animosity towards the partnership of advertising & features/promotions, it is beneficial to all parties, why is it a bad thing? Should a magazine not feature any product some person/group actually invested time & $$$$ in developing and producing for Mopars simply because they are also spending $$$ to advertize in(read "support") said magazine???
I get it, You think the content is stale, OK fair enough. Many engine builds are featured & documented/dyno'd w/o ever being installed in a vehicle, that is not unique to a single mag, projects cost $$$$. Intake/cam/carb/header/combo tests can't possibly all be track-tested, it would bankrupt a rag, the dyno-time is enough. I saw value in all of the mags, because they supported My hobby, something sorely lacking in the mid '80's when I had My 1st Mopar('83). Just My 2cents.

I take issue with focusing highly on advertisor products, because most mags will walk right past any negatives associated with those products so they don't run off their finance base. This is no less than lying to consumers in my opinion.

Yeah, projects cost money. Magazines get tons of parts donated by advertisors and basically use these builds as a write off. It's a totally different world when they build a car versus you or me. They get paid to do it.

MA has always been up front about this, calling a spade a spade, so to speak.

I don't understand the animosity towards the partnership of advertising & features/promotions, it is beneficial to all parties, why is it a bad thing?

a problem when they only really feature parts from advertising is that now you have to question their credibility. they sure aren't going to bite the hands that feed them.

Is it even still in print? I haven't seen any mopar magazines in the stores in years. I believe the only one left is Hot Rod and it's a joke.

Is it even still in print? I haven't seen any mopar magazines in the stores in years. I believe the only one left is Hot Rod and it's a joke.
Yeah Mopar action still exists, they sell them down at the Fred Meyers store down in the city by me. I don't like all the lx builds talk about cheese ball junk.

I can't count the number of times Mopar Muscle was flat out WRONG in their tech and other articles.

I wrote to Mopar Muscle in the "Letter to the Editor" segment....about their engine build articles. They actually published my letter.
I complained that they were doing too many engine contest articles. They actually did wind down that content after my letter. I am not arrogant enough to think that they made a decision like that based solely on my advice. Others must have commented enough to sway their minds.

When a magazine relies on advertisers for income AND one of those advertisers donates products for review, it is like a kid that paints a picture for his Mother....Do you think that Mother is going to be critical of it?
I would, but I don't have kids.

We have seen the Graveyard Cars episodes when that long haired freak from Magnum Farce is there...."helping" Mark install one of their bullshit coil over front suspension kits when they do a Gen 3 Hemi installation. Mark praises the freak as if he invented water.
Screw all that.
Rick Ehrenberg isn't perfect but he doesn't shill for the advertisers unless the products deserve it.

I wrote to Mopar Muscle in the "Letter to the Editor" segment....about their engine build articles. They actually published my letter.
I complained that they were doing too many engine contest articles. They actually did wind down that content after my letter. I am not arrogant enough to think that they made a decision like that based solely on my advice. Others must have commented enough to sway their minds.

When a magazine relies on advertisers for income AND one of those advertisers donates products for review, it is like a kid that paints a picture for his Mother....Do you think that Mother is going to be critical of it?
I would, but I don't have kids.

We have seen the Graveyard Cars episodes when that long haired freak from Magnum Farce is there...."helping" Mark install one of their bullshit coil over front suspension kits when they do a Gen 3 Hemi installation. Mark praises the freak as if he invented water.
Screw all that.
Rick Ehrenberg isn't perfect but he doesn't shill for the advertisers unless the products deserve it.
That dude needs conditioner in his hair lol

I take issue with focusing highly on advertisor products, because most mags will walk right past any negatives associated with those products so they don't run off their finance base. This is no less than lying to consumers in my opinion.

Yeah, projects cost money. Magazines get tons of parts donated by advertisors and basically use these builds as a write off. It's a totally different world when they build a car versus you or me. They get paid to do it.

MA has always been up front about this, calling a spade a spade, so to speak.
1) IF the mag lacks the integrity to give an honest review, true. The least I expect is pointing out any shortcomings in a polite but informative manner, You don't have to be a Dick to prove cred to Me, the info is enough.
2) Really, what's the write-off going to be to try 6 intakes, 3 cams, 4 carbs, & most of the possible combos of all the above at the track vs dyno-time and having the dyno tools missing for dialing each combo in, get real.
Don't get Me wrong, I'd love to see it, but multiple projects and publishing deadlines plus weather cooperation puts that in the minority vs dyno testing.

I still pick up MA off the rack, I haven't seen Chrysler Power in a year and a half where I was picking it up, and haven't seen MCG on the stands for a bit. They were the last sub I had, but I may pick them all up again. At least when everybody else plugs in their EVs & the power goes out, I'll still be able to read My new & old favorites with a couple candles......

1) IF the mag lacks the integrity to give an honest review, true. The least I expect is pointing out any shortcomings in a polite but informative manner, You don't have to be a Dick to prove cred to Me, the info is enough.
2) Really, what's the write-off going to be to try 6 intakes, 3 cams, 4 carbs, & most of the possible combos of all the above at the track vs dyno-time and having the dyno tools missing for dialing each combo in, get real.
Don't get Me wrong, I'd love to see it, but multiple projects and publishing deadlines plus weather cooperation puts that in the minority vs dyno testing.

I still pick up MA off the rack, I haven't seen Chrysler Power in a year and a half where I was picking it up, and haven't seen MCG on the stands for a bit. They were the last sub I had, but I may pick them all up again. At least when everybody else plugs in their EVs & the power goes out, I'll still be able to read My new & old favorites with a couple candles......
Or burn Mopar Muscle for heat

I don't get any magazines anymore. I have all the info, articles and pictures that I could ever use right here any time I want it. Plus I can't make the print bigger in the magazines by spreading my fingers! :rofl:

Chrysler Power.....

1 FPP.JPG

If you thought that Mopar Collectors Guide was a low rent magazine, you'd change your opinion after reading just one issue of CP.
Their standards for feature cars was suspect.....One car was an orange 71 Satellite with a black engine bay. Come on, guys.....
It seems that they are still in mourning over the loss of the former editor, Roland. There were several references to the man. While that is respectable, I never met the man and seeing so many references to him were distracting.

Chrysler Power.....

View attachment 1716041622

If you thought that Mopar Collectors Guide was a low rent magazine, you'd change your opinion after reading just one issue of CP.
Their standards for feature cars was suspect.....One car was an orange 71 Satellite with a black engine bay. Come on, guys.....
It seems that they are still in mourning over the loss of the former editor, Roland. There were several references to the man. While that is respectable, I never met the man and seeing so many references to him were distracting.
Maybe the black engine bay is a "it ain't a GM" trigger, but there were a lot of quality rides there, & they got it done getting the Poly engine the development & respect it deserved. Back when CPPA were the ONLY folks making BBM A-body under-chassis headers, instead of hacking out the inner fenders, they went the extra mile for the Mopar faithful.

It appears that you are confusing the magazine with the parts company.

I think maybe Chrysler Power died not long after Roland did, but I'm not sure. Haven't seen one in years. I've been getting MCG since they started and I am only missing a few issues. I doubt that will matter when somebody cleans my attic out after I kick over....lol. I gave up on Mopar Action after Tony Defeo stopped writing for them, so it's been a long time since I read one. :rolleyes:
Since Roland Osborne passed it was bought buy a local guy in Sapulpa, Oklahoma and he has been keeping it going....

-
Back