Mopar Muscle Magazine 360

-

TrailerParkGinger

Reaction score
Has anyone read the Mopar Muscle article for the 455HP 360 Magnum? I like the numbers they got and would like to follow their blueprint laid out, but the big mutha thumpr cam seems like they just tgrew a comp cams advertisement into the article. Whats your take on their cam choice and if it could be improved with a different camshaft. I've never heard very positive things about the Thumpr line.
Build Your Own 455HP Pump-Gas Magnum V8 For Around $4,000! - Hot Rod Network

That cam is making 1.27 lbs ft per cid thats pretty good. Could alway use about a 235 cam with .550 lift on 110 would be similar.

I compared comps smallest roller thumper with a roller 265 on 114. Half the opening and close points were the similar. I guess thats why they kind of give you both worlds.

Im sure the 380hp create engines cam is mopars version of a thumper cam. Works pretty good its a little soft under 2000 rpm but the only reason I notice cause my car is geared wrong 2.96 instead of 3.55 plus gears. Single plane intake dont help either.

That cam is making 1.27 lbs ft per cid thats pretty good. Could alway use about a 235 cam with .550 lift on 110 would be similar.

I compared comps smallest roller thumper with a roller 265 on 114. Half the opening and close points were the similar. I guess thats why they kind of give you both worlds.

Im sure the 380hp create engines cam is mopars version of a thumper cam. Works pretty good its a little soft under 2000 rpm but the only reason I notice cause my car is geared wrong 2.96 instead of 3.55 plus gears. Single plane intake dont help either.
It was a very cool build up and relatively cheap, definitely wanr to go that route. I'm just wondering what others think. I'd go for the big mutha Thumpr but wanted to hear others chime in. I'm cam spec ignorant lol

Before you pick whats the purose of the car?
Daily driver, week end street machine, little track mostly track, how deep of gears and stall you willing to go, do you want a car that needs tinkering all the time, gas mileage, etc..

Engines make the majority of there power in the top 1500 rpm of there powerband or so.
If you never rev there, theres little point building up there.

the mopar 380hp crate engine cam is 230/236 .050 .501/.513 lift at 108 LSA.

Articles on Mopar engine builds will get you in trouble. You're wise to question their selection of Cam, it could be political, as you surmise.
Instead of following these articles, might I recommend you find a Local Hot Shoe Mopar Engine Builder. Bring the article and tell them you would like something similar. He will steer you thru the Magazine Bullshit and onto a great bulletproof Motor.
And if you have the luxury of using an aftermarket block, you'll find it well worth extra expense. Aftermarket Blocks are rebuildable many times over. Stock Mopar Blocks have never worked for me for racing and street Hi Perf applications, even after being extensively prepped.

Mopar aftermarket blocks?....small block? where?

I think that shop has built a few engines ....that the results have been well published.

IMMENGINES.COM

Articles on Mopar engine builds will get you in trouble. You're wise to question their selection of Cam, it could be political, as you surmise.
Instead of following these articles, might I recommend you find a Local Hot Shoe Mopar Engine Builder. Bring the article and tell them you would like something similar. He will steer you thru the Magazine Bullshit and onto a great bulletproof Motor.
And if you have the luxury of using an aftermarket block, you'll find it well worth extra expense. Aftermarket Blocks are rebuildable many times over. Stock Mopar Blocks have never worked for me for racing and street Hi Perf applications, even after being extensively prepped.
I got my 360 magnum for next to nothing from a guy who had a junk van just sitting in his driveway. $120 was a fair deal, he pulled it. I was just wanting to have a cheap build up and later down perhaps stroke it. Thanks for your advice. Too bad there aren't any Mopar motor gurus I know of in Columbus, Ohio :(

Before you pick whats the purose of the car?
Daily driver, week end street machine, little track mostly track, how deep of gears and stall you willing to go, do you want a car that needs tinkering all the time, gas mileage, etc..

Engines make the majority of there power in the top 1500 rpm of there powerband or so.
If you never rev there, theres little point building up there.
I want a car with some oomph. A fun weekend car I can cruise yet can take to the track and still have fun. My cruising on the highway is taken up by my 50 Chevy 3100 with an inline 6 with 2.56s

Mopar aftermarket blocks?....small block? where?

I think that shop has built a few engines ....that the results have been well published.

IMMENGINES.COM

Just a little thing called R4, R3 and it's predecessor, R2.
Prices have come way down on the R2s.

Even the newer generation (later) hemi blocks are gettin cheeper, finally.

the mopar 380hp crate engine cam is 230/236 .050 .501/.513 lift at 108 LSA.

I just have a gut feeling if we could see the valve opening and closing points it would be similar to thumper type cams.

You want him to spend his whole budget or a big part of it on a block ? To only make 450 hp.

I want a car with some oomph. A fun weekend car I can cruise yet can take to the track and still have fun. My cruising on the highway is taken up by my 50 Chevy 3100 with an inline 6 with 2.56s

My guess you would want something like comps xe275hl or xe285hl or similar from voo doo or others.

Depends what gear and stall your willing to run.

Also Id pick the cam first then build the compression to work with that cam.

Depending on a large number of things you didn’t include about your car, it’s parts, it’s intended useage, no one here can recomend a cam for you.

I know what I would do. For me that is.
;)

My guess you would want something like comps xe275hl or xe285hl or similar from voo doo or others.

Depends what gear and stall your willing to run.

Also Id pick the cam first then build the compression to work with that cam.
Well I'm going to put a 4.10 in the back and probably a 2500+ stall. My tires are 255/70/15 and it makes it about a 3.68 rear gear. It'll be going in a 67 Coronet, but I like my small block so I post on this board. B bodies only just tells me to buy a 440 haha.

Just a little thing called R4, R3 and it's predecessor, R2.
Prices have come way down on the R2s.

Even the newer generation (later) hemi blocks are gettin cheeper, finally.

the Race blocks are no longer being produced....there are none in the warehouses....this thread is about small blocks....never seen the word Hemi mentioned...

Depending on a large number of things you didn’t include about your car, it’s parts, it’s intended useage, no one here can recomend a cam for you.

I know what I would do. For me that is.
;)
67 Coronet, hot street, some strip time, but I like to drive it everywhere. Its getting a GV overdrive in its future. I'm in school for welding and Multicraft Maintenance at the moment and just wanted to build up parts slowly and put it together probably starting next January. The block is in amazing shape with perfect cross hatching. I'll be getting the factory SB 727 rebuilt to handle more power and most likely the Doctor Diff third member for its 8.75 rear.

What gear ratio and what is the O.D. ratio? What size tire?
What style cam?

Follow the Mopar engine book recipe. They are old and dated, yes, but they WORK.

Id probably go with xr274hr or similar from other vendors.

-
Back