Mopar opened my eyes :D

-

MoparPowa

Reaction score
Hello everyone, recently found this site and have been searching around it quite often, looking around for info pertaining mostly to early A's.. 65 seems to be my interest as of late, but let me explain my story. Im 16, and from the midwest, missouri to be specific. I was kind of brought into the old car ideals since I was young. My dad used to race, with his brothers, his friends, most all he knew was drag and old cars, and he owned quite a few. Im not sure I can name them all, although to some of you it may not seem like many. My dad currently owns a 65' Chevy II Nova, my brother(in his first year of college) owns a 64 and half Mustang, and when I graduate, I plan to own a 65' Dart GT. Catch the 65' deal? We figured that would be cool as a family... I used to be a chevy guy, and mustangs were ok, but mopar? I hadnt even looked down that path, and when my dad and I travelled out to see a 66' dart a young guy my age had just bought from a friend of my dads, well, I fell in love. Dad had told me about the chrysler path, and a valiant/dart would be a fun build for me, but I had shook my head at him, seriously doubting these "chrysler" a-bodies could ever compete with a "big block chevy." Those words are poison :D, I immediately started researching stuff on them, mostly small block strokers, of which I some day dream to build. My dad had a built big-block 69' Z/28 camaro he raced, from what I know he ran 11's, my goal is mid 10's, and I gotta be able to beat my brothers ford, thats all that matters :D, my dad runs the bottle on the Nova(Im not against nitrous, I just prefer pure cubes) so Im not really concerned with beatin him. I should probably end this, sorry bout the long story, wanted to get a good start off here. Thanks for reading and hope to speak to some of you soon.

Ryan

"I used to be a chevy guy, and mustangs were ok, but mopar? I hadnt even looked down that path...."
ahhh yess the mopar path...huuumm?? it is a dark path indeed, but you will enjoy it much you shall. fords, and gm's alike fear the dark mopar path. you will learn much here you shall, and regreat nothing. bottom line.......mopars rock! welcome aboard, and be glad it didn't take you too long to figure it out!

I have owned, Mopars,
Gm's, and Fords, and 2 Subaru's, and one Honda.

I like the older Mopars about the best.

I currently own a 1964 Valiant.

If you want to make the job easier,
a 1967- newer Abody is easier to get parts for,and
has more room under the hood.

I pulled a 318 from a 73 Valiant, and rebuilt it,
and then took my very tired 273 out of my '64 Valiant.

Much less room to play with in the early {63-66} Abody.

I love the small car though. :)

2549ce44.jpg

He does make a good point on the later year A bodys having room. If they can put a HEMI in it, your good to go for life. Parts are a bit eaier to get as well.
I think your in a great spot. Dad backs you and your brother. Ain't nothin better than that.
Welcome aboard

man i know how u feel i grew up with only mopars but still being young and loving old cars, most kids dont get it...o well, i had a 66 dart wagon it was an awesome car i loved it now i also own a 69 cuda that is waiting to be road wothy :thumblef: good luck with everything, and i'm glad you jumped on the mopar wagon myself i love 65 cudas, so pretty

wow man you and i think alike i'm not a fan of nitrus more engine cubes, same with teh whole build the car to beat a friends/brothers haha i'm going for that too i'm gonna build a 360-408 strocker i'm only 17 in am in sd

yeah, I thought about the later 68's and so on, the extra space is nice, particularly in the wheel wells, and headers that dont tuck around every jut and corner, but they just dont do it for me, the 64, 65 particularily, and somewhat 66 just really have that old feel, the vintage look on the tail lights is neat with the 65.. My dad always told me not to judge the car immediately when you see it, youve got to look past the car, and imagine it with some bigger tires, and new wheels, a built motor, youve got to look at it, and make it yours. I dont know, its just neat when I imagine it.. although who knows how long it would take to build :p anyhow, got a question already, dealing with roller cams and a 340 replacement/R block, anyone care to take a look at it(gonna post in the engines section of course), Id appreciate the input. Thanks for the warm welcome everybody.

Ryan

My dad has some 65s and 66s that he is trying to sell. I could ask him what he has. I know one of them has bucket seats from the factory. P.M. If you want me to ask him.
Glad to help a youngster start out.

Welcome to the group. It's a fun place to be. My first car was a 65 Dart 270.
It had a HP 273 and a "3 on the tree". (back in 1971) It ran like a raped ape.
2 years later a guy blew a stop sign and took the front end off. Since then I've owned Road Runners, Super Bees, Challengers. and a nice assortment
of Coronets and even 66 Chrysler Newport. After many years, two houses, and two kids later,(at 50 years old I might add) I felt a need to get back into Mopars. It's a passion... no a disease. I was looking for a 64 Dart (just because I like the plain look) but I found a nice 66 less than an hour drive away. I bought it, fixed it up, and have been driving (and fixing) it ever since. Absolutely no regrets. It's a blast. Good luck to you! Toolmanmike

Thanks! wow? a '64!? plain looks? to me that sounds crazy, seems even more flashy than the '65? eyes on the front kinda come out at you, '64 were definitely a nice car, '65 my fav of course, and '66 straightened out some, seems longer to me too, but thats just what I see.. thanks for the warm welcome, I couldnt think of a better place to learn about the old A's then you guys. :thumblef:

-
Back