Mopar Performance ?'s

-

NukeSec1

DUSTinguished
Reaction score
Sooooo...........GM performance offers their 350 performance bare blocks and associated parts all day long. Why doesn't Mopar offer the popular 340 block?

Yea, you missed the rock to turn over. Expensive buggers!

x2
They don't even offer the 360 Pre magnum or magnum shortblock anymore :wack:

It's mostlyt because they only offer these type of things when there only in production. Soon, everything will be HEMI only. New style that is.

Older big blocks are in demand and that's why they came back with them.

I used to do alot with MP but pay upfront and nobody wants to give an ETA and questionable quality has finally convinced me to spend my money someplace else. Toobad.

Post bankruptcy blues. Fiat has nothing to gain from past Mopar glories.

because chrysler is the most anti-enthusiast car company out there

I've noticed that about MP. They brought back the 426 Hemi and the 440 in various packages, but not the VERY popular big bore/short stroke 340. Are they ignorant or just that clueless?

They still sell blocks. Here are some from the catalog:

Block, Cast Iron, 340 Replacement, Siamese-bore, 4.040" Finished Bore

Block, Cast Iron, 340 Replacement, Siamese-bore, 4.175" Rough Bore

Block, Cast Iron, 340, Non-Siamese-bore, 4.040" Finished Bore

Block, Cast Iron, Race, 5.2L Magnum/318 "LA", Siamese-bore, 3.910" Finished Bore

Block, Cast Iron, Race, 5.9L Magnum/360 "LA", Siamese-bore, 4.000" Finished Bore

Block, Short Assembly, 4.000" Bore, 3.580" Stroke, 5.9L Magnum/ 360 "LA"

Block, Short Assembly, 4.040" Bore, 3.310" Stroke, 340 "LA"

Block, Short Assembly, 4.040" Bore, 4.000" Stroke, 410 "LA", Stroker 340

Block, Short Assembly, 4.185" Bore, 4.000" Stroke, 440 "LA", Stroker 340

The 340 was a very expensive motor to produce . That's part of the reason why it was a $44 option over the 383 in the 'Cuda , R/T Challenger , and 1971 - 1973 Road Runner and Super Bee ; a limited-production , specialty motor that shared virtually nothing with the rest of the LA family ( internal interchange-wise , that is ).

The H.P. 383 shared a lot in common with the other 383's , and it used a 440 H.P. cam ; nothing special nor limited-in-production .

You can still buy 350's at Big Lots , and their rebuild kits at the 99 Cent Store .
That's why they're cheap .

* and , NO , I'm not knocking the 350 ; but I also couldn't resist goofin' on it anyhow *

The 340 was a very expensive motor to produce . That's part of the reason why it was a $44 option over the 383 in the 'Cuda , R/T Challenger , and 1971 - 1973 Road Runner and Super Bee ; a limited-production , specialty motor that shared virtually nothing with the rest of the LA family ( internal interchange-wise , that is ).

This is a joke right? The 340 crank, rods, and cam are dimensionally the same as a 318. Yes, some of them were "HD" versions, but they weren't newly designed or exotic parts, just a heavier casting or forging. In fact, the crankshaft goes all the way back to the Poly 318. The only things you can't physically swap from a 318 to a 340 are the pistons and rings. Everything else will bolt on.

The 360 shares even less with the "rest" of the LA family, and yet it stayed in production. The LA 360 uses the exact same heads, intake and connecting rods as the 340, but doesn't share the same crank or bearings as anything else in the LA series, requires an external balance harmonic damper and torque converter, uses a different oil pan, and uses different engine mounts. By your theory, the 360 should have cost even more than the 340 to produce.

The problem with reproducing 340 blocks now is the numbers. They aren't used in anything current, so its just an "extra" production run whose numbers are far less than anything else out there. And of course, Chrysler knows that the collectors and enthusiasts out there will pay top dollar for that 340.

-
Back