Mopar purple .528 for a 383?

-

MidnightSwinger

Reaction score
I’ve got an opportunity to pick up a new Mopar purple shaft .528 cam for a good deal and I wanted to ask opinions, everyone loves a cam thread.

‘74 swinger
1970 HP 383, standard rebuild (guessing at 9-9.5-1 comp but not verified)
The heads have mopar performance dual valve springs
Edelbrock dp4b intake
Street Demon 750 carb
Hedman b body 1 3/4 long tubes
2 1/2” mandrel bent exhaust ultra flo’s
A-833 4 speed non-od
3.91 gears and sure grip

Street car only, I’m building a burn out machine. Rowdy is ok, and I’m not looking for gobs of low end torque. I’d prefer it to scream up to 6500k.

I also have a trick flow track heat single plane intake that I want to run, so I may swap intakes at some point after the cam swap and see what happens.

IMG_1322.jpeg

I loved this cam. A little lopey , rowdy yes. I could feel it kick in at about 3K. Used to manual shift the TQ to keep the RPMs up, then when you punched it, it would come alive!

I loved this cam. A little lopey , rowdy yes. I could feel it kick in at about 3K. Used to manual shift the TQ to keep the RPMs up, then when you punched it, it would come alive!
That’s exactly what I want. Im not going to daily drive, or long highway trips. I want something that starts to pull at 3k and pulls hard to 6k, and spin it to 6500k just for fun/sound.

I remember many years ago, Andy Finkbiener (spelling?) ran a bunch of cams in his (if I remember right) 440. The 528 purple solid was by far the best.
What you are saying you want, the 528 will work. Rpm comes from solid lifters, but good heads are required to make high rpm worthwhile.

I have a .557 purple solid in my 440. It'll go 6500+, but it's quickest shifting at 5900, and nearly as quick at 5600. (906s for now, I'll bet shift rpm goes up with the swap to Eddie rpm's.)

You are correct, I knew I would leave something out. I’m looking for some comp/crane/mopar 1.5 iron rockers now.
I've got iron rockers on my 557. I think they are original maxwedge.Good sets are hard to find, and kinda expensive, now that nobody makes em anymore.
I've had great service from Crane golds, too, also not made anymore.....

I've got iron rockers on my 557. I think they are original maxwedge.Good sets are hard to find, and kinda expensive, now that nobody makes em anymore.
I've had great service from Crane golds, too, also not made anymore.....
I might have to try the speedmaster stainless 1.5 roller tip rockers.

I might have to try the speedmaster stainless 1.5 roller tip rockers.
Might wanna check out proform too. Aluminum rockers, with or without bronze bushings (bronze bush obviously preferred. )
Mancini sells Harland Sharps made rockers without the HS roller bearings. (for half the price of HS) Lots of people seem to like em. (I'd buy a set in a heartbeat..... if they made some with the victor head offset I need. oh well...)
For a .528, I think the stainless SMs might work just fine.

Might wanna check out proform too. Aluminum rockers, with or without bronze bushings (bronze bush obviously preferred. )
Mancini sells Harland Sharps made rockers without the HS roller bearings. (for half the price of HS) Lots of people seem to like em. (I'd buy a set in a heartbeat..... if they made some with the victor head offset I need. oh well...)
For a .528, I think the stainless SMs might work just fine.
Thank you, I will look into them all. I’ve heard good things about the speedmaster stainless rockers and if the do the Black Friday deal I may have to try them out. But like you said it’s not really a big cam whatsoever, so anything reliable should work.

Speedmaster black Friday deals can be amazing. A few years ago I got some bbc parts that look real good for a ridiculously low price. Mopar deals, not quite so good, but still worth looking into. (Looking into a aluminum spool 9" center in this next one. Save about $500).

I remember many years ago, Andy Finkbiener (spelling?) ran a bunch of cams in his (if I remember right) 440. The 528 purple solid was by far the best.
What you are saying you want, the 528 will work. Rpm comes from solid lifters, but good heads are required to make high rpm worthwhile.
@AndyF

I’ve got an opportunity to pick up a new Mopar purple shaft .528 cam for a good deal and I wanted to ask opinions, everyone loves a cam thread.

‘74 swinger
1970 HP 383, standard rebuild (guessing at 9-9.5-1 comp but not verified)
The heads have mopar performance dual valve springs
Edelbrock dp4b intake
Street Demon 750 carb
Hedman b body 1 3/4 long tubes
2 1/2” mandrel bent exhaust ultra flo’s
A-833 4 speed non-od
3.91 gears and sure grip

Street car only, I’m building a burn out machine. Rowdy is ok, and I’m not looking for gobs of low end torque. I’d prefer it to scream up to 6500k.

I also have a trick flow track heat single plane intake that I want to run, so I may swap intakes at some point after the cam swap and see what happens.

View attachment 1716089325
Just my opinion here, your a half point to a full point of compression down and that’s the wrong intake to use with the small cam. IMO, a RPM should be used.

lol What compression are you planning on?
Once I finally crack into it, I’ll shoot for 10:1 with the 906’s and more when I can afford a good aluminum head. It could be there now, the motor is a real HP that’s been “rebuilt” and passed a few hands before I inherited it. I won’t be surprised to find it at 9.5 but I wouldn’t be surprised if it was 8:1 lol

-
Back