Mopar torque converter

-

Dalton697

Reaction score
Okay, I've got about 4k miles on a torque converter I put in the car about a year and a half ago that started making noise at stops almost like a broke fin, then Thursday stopped working altogether. I paid like $140 so assuming it was rebuilt. Now thinking I need a brand new one, it sits between a 74 360 with an comp cam xe 268H nothing radical, thinking stock converter with 2000 stall would be fine...question is where do I find it and at good price

TorqueFlite Patty on e-bag can hook ya up if you're looking for a stock re-man, or high stall stock type re-man.
I would imagine any local trans shop could get a stock type re-man for you.

Not looking for re-man been there, done that and now pulling the tranny out again which I hate doing, looking for new

Poison Dart is right. They aren't stamping new converters. It'll be hard to find a aftermarket converter in the $140 range but Hughes and PTC have some decent low buck converters.

BTW: most of the time when a converter comes apart it sends shrapnel all through the trans. and trans cooler so you need to disassemble it and check it out and flush it all out. Wouldn't surprise me if it scarred up the pump as that's the first thing the crap gets ran through.

Oh I wasn't looking in the $140 neighborhood, I now know you get what you pay for...lol. And I'm planning on pulling everything apart and seeing how much damage is done...thanks

727 or 904 ? If a "727" I used JEGS # 555-6048 25-2800 stall behind 2 different 472 Hemi Cars and all I can say is they work great. I took a chance thinking that "No way can these be any good for $200 ." Made a lier out of me...Wish they had them for a 904. Just a thought..

Okay, another question bought a Hughes 24-25 torque converter from jegs, but it doesn't have an external weigh on it, now wondering if this is going to be a problem with my 360.

Thanks, another problem having trouble getting the old converter off the front shaft any suggestions

i say call dynamic, ultimate and ptc. see which one you are most comfortable with and go from there.. a good convertor will really wake a car up.

^ YES, if you can swing the coin do a 9.5".

Don't dick around, this IS worth it, it's the most important part of a drive-train build.

Spin the converter and pull. When engaging the new one, make sure you hear 'CLICK' twice!

A little wiggle and spin and it should pop right off

Uh oh.
Wonder if it took the splines of the input shaft???
I'd bet you anything that trans is going to take hard parts and be full of all kinds of metal.

Thanks all, broke the center bearing of the converter spins both ways, wrecked the seal and bearing on the tranny pump but not much metal inside filter caught most of it, got new b&m flexplate and Hughes converter with 2500 stall, both old converter and trans only had 3500 miles

I have a Hughes 2500 stahl convertor for a 904 neutral balanced if your interested message me

I don't know that bolt torque is more critical than bolt length where flex plate bolts to converter. If the bolts are long enough to dimple the converters shell behind the nut blocks, internal damage to the converter will result.

-
Back