MoparChase rear cam shaft seal

-
What does the block look like? I sure hope all that damage was done removing it.

That's a Dorman 550-027 welch plug. It's convex on the outside half when installed and then you place a ball peen end of a hammer on it and smack it with the flat face of another ball peen hammer to spread it out and wedge it in place. If it was leaking, either someone didn't put and sealer on it, used the wrong kind, or not enough. Those normally work pretty good, sans operator error. After seeing the damage done to the plug to retrieve it, I would certainly want to see the block to make sure it doesn't look similar.

should be a "welch plug" NOT a core plug. looks like a magnifying lens. put it in so its bowing out, then hit the center with a ball end of a hammer, Itll expand ever so slightly and stick in there.
o%2Fimages%2Fstencil%2F1280x1280%2Fproducts%2F221455%2F104287%2FSIE-18-4273_lg__22388.1558127132.jpg

wrong...
?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse2.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.jpg

"Gotta get to work monday" wrong!
?u=https%3A%2F%2Fcontentinfo.autozone.jpg

Maybe someone tried “Stacking” a couple of them in there.

If there isn’t something in the hole, you’re looking at the back of the camshaft, and oil from the cam bearing will be running right out.

I prefer this style of cam plug in the SB Mopar:

F7976F5D-F767-48C3-A1D0-86EB06772820.jpeg

309A52CD-1275-40FB-8294-C3703F7189DA.jpeg

Yep. I smeared some sealer around the edge and installed it. I smacked the center with a extension and a hammer.
100_5151.JPG

I think you’re right because I don’t have not one drop of oil after a 7 mile ride home from The duster doctor. Wherever it came from it bounced around my bell housing until it finally came to rest between my fly wheel and my starter. It took out my starter but spared the flywheel. Well welcome to hot riding I guess

I think you’re right because I don’t have not one drop of oil after a 7 mile ride home from The duster doctor. Wherever it came from it bounced around my bell housing until it finally came to rest between my fly wheel and my starter. It took out my starter but spared the flywheel. Well welcome to hot riding I guess
Are you sure you have oil in it?

Would have to take the trans out to see everything because it was rolling around inside my bell housing till it took out my starter but have to assume there’s still a cam plug in the block because it’s not spraying any oil. Checked my oil level when I got home still full and clean enough you can see through it.

LOL still looks like I just changed it yesterday and it’s full. I think the zinc additive saved it. :)

Would have to take the trans out to see everything because it was rolling around inside my bell housing till it took out my starter but have to assume there’s still a cam plug in the block because it’s not spraying any oil. Checked my oil level when I got home still full and clean enough you can see through it.
I would be gettin that transmission out to take a look.

I might still do that this whole experience has got me biting my nails. Won’t lie but I’m probably not gonna sleep good tonight.

I think one of those inspection cameras could be fed up into the area behind the block well enough for a look-see.

That’s actually a great idea I think we have one at work I might be able to borrow be worth a shot

The smoking gun though is if there is no plug in there why wouldn’t it be leaking everywhere

-
Back