Rear expansion plug of rear cam shaft question.

-

Kendog 170

Let the boy go !
Reaction score
So the new cam plug in rear was leaking. Yes I probably might not have put enough sealant with it but I didn't like how easily it tapped in. Has anyone found a particular plug they prefer? And if so maybe a part #? Hoping there might be something better
Thanks

Sealer and hit it pretty good to expand.

clutch kit 023.jpg

There are two types of plugs used, it depends on the year of your engine block, the depth of the "step" where this cam plug goes , on the early block is .225 inch deep from the outer most edge (that would use the "concave plug") and the depth is .385 inch for the later block (that would use the "double step" style plug). Early block is about pre 74, later would be about 74 on. Pic below is 74 on.
100_1489-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
I have only ever seen the "cup-style" plugs; and have never seen these factory-staked.
I thought the fit was rather loose too, so always glue it in with Indian-Head shellac. So far I haven't had any pop out. It is for this reason that I never leak-test the assembled engine with more than 4psi; if that plug ever popped out I would be a very unhappy guy.And I bet my boss would be even unhappier.

Ok, looks like I will use the cup style as mines a 68 block. Hope I can get it out ok with cam still in. Maybe pilot hole and dent puller if I can't work it out.

To install properly...

You put the "pein" end of the hammer against the face of the plug and hit the face of the hammer with another hammer... done.

Early Mopars (and others) used these for all of their core plugs, freeze plugs, whatever.

Forget what you've always been told about hitting one hammer with another hammer...

but wear eye protection just in case
done lots of these
problem ones are freeze plugs in the car where it's hard to get a good smack

Yes but I popped all the plugs for the hot tank and installed new ones but did not pick up on hitting the center to expand. My bad there.
OK, I was asking as maybe if it comes to it, you can clean the area with alcohol or brake cleaner, put some thin sealer around it (like gasket shellac) and punch-expand what is in there now.

sure- give it a whack it don't really care about clean (except rust) or sealer
it's a mechanical seal
just do not put gobs of silicone
cleaner is better but trick is to get the new seal in the same place as the old one
not "cross threaded" (I made that up)

There are two types of plugs used, it depends on the year of your engine block, the depth of the "step" where this cam plug goes , on the early block is .225 inch deep from the outer most edge (that would use the "concave plug") and the depth is .385 inch for the later block (that would use the "double step" style plug). Early block is about pre 74, later would be about 74 on. Pic below is 74 on.View attachment 1715320836

The one and left came out of the engine the 1 on the right is what the machine shop put in.

The Rusted one measures .220" 65 dart. The Barracuda had the same plug. The plug measures .100"
The one with new paint is 65 barracuda It measures .340"-.350" If you add the plug it would be about the same as the dart

Not the easiest to measure on the engins stand

20200923_145938.jpg

20200923_145853.jpg

20200923_142549.jpg

20200923_140203.jpg

-
Back