Mopars At The Strip -2008

-

ocdart

Inland Mopars Car Club
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Just got back from MATS and had a great time. If you were there with your car and participated in the Popular Choice section of the carshow, then you were parked by me and my wife. Hope y'all had as good a time as we did!!!

Hey ocdart,

I heard it was a fun show as well but also heard that #s across the board (ie. racing, showing, swap, etc.) were down. Did you notice any of that? I guess I should ask if you were there last year in order to compare.

This was my 1st year at MATS, but heard both sides from different people. Some said less cars, some said more. Weather was great Friday and Saturday, but Sunday was cold and windy. We left just after the Sunday racing eliminations started; a lot of the vendors were either already gone or beginning to pack it up because of the weather.

I was there on Friday in the Fun Field with my PT Cruiser but I wasn't feeling very well. By Friday night I had a full blown case of the flu. Stayed in my hotel room the rest of the weekend. This years crowd was down compared to the past years.

DSC00350 (Small).JPG

DSC00065(1) (Small).JPG

I was there on Friday in the Fun Field with my PT Cruiser but I wasn't feeling very well. By Friday night I had a full blown case of the flu. Stayed in my hotel room the rest of the weekend. This years crowd was down compared to the past years.
Estimate 30% more people and more cars there on Saturday compared to Friday just based on what we parked. In Popular Choice, completely filled our area on Saturday and had to direct all of the overflow to the Fun Field area.

i've made it the last 4 years and have to say there were more people than ever on sat.i parked in the fun field and it was just bout full. not as many swap meeters, i have to say sales were down probly a reflection of our economy. i couldnt even sell a running 72 dart for $2500. oh well i had a good time.

I know from last year that there were fewer racers. You couldn't get a space to park in the lower half of the lot on Friday morning last year, there were a bunch to choose from this year and hardly any pitted on the north side. I was guessing maybe 60% of last years numbers. The staging lanes were LOADED last year, 10 cars for the hemi shootout vs IIRC, 18 last year.

I thought the swap was smaller as well with insane prices.

I thought the swap was smaller as well with insane prices.

What was insane prices? The part prices or the swap spot prices or the food prices?

It was $80 pre reg for a 10 foot wide swap spot and one admission. If you have someone with you, thats another $60 pre reg. So someone has to pay for that right?

Considering what you charge at Flings, I think the swap space at MATS is a bit excessive. Some of the pro sellers are just putting the screws to people. If the prices were lowered about 30-40% they'd walk out with a big bank roll and fewer parts headed home. I see the same parts over & over & over again. The only thing that changes is prices continue to increase and parts remain.

I put stuff out last year on my trailer in the pits. Sold a lot of stuff as foot traffic was pretty high. Not this year, saw very few cruising the pit areas.

I just think everyone that has a valve stem cap from an old mopar thinks it's gold and priced accordingly. $2500 for a tired 71 340 engine??? No thanks.

I bring my own food in and never buy any food or beverage at the track.

Fuel cost will keep about three of my buds from the midwest away next year. I think that had a lot to do with attendance. For me it was about $60 more in fuel this year. One of my buddies it was in the $400 range, basically doubled.

There was one guy there with alot of parts and I know where he gets them. Then he jacks up the price(4x) to rip off the hobbiest. I wouldn't buy a part from him even if he had the last NOS part in the world.

Considering what you charge at Flings, I think the swap space at MATS is a bit excessive. Some of the pro sellers are just putting the screws to people. If the prices were lowered about 30-40% they'd walk out with a big bank roll and fewer parts headed home. I see the same parts over & over & over again. The only thing that changes is prices continue to increase and parts remain.

Spring Fling swap spots are one quarter of that price.

I put stuff out last year on my trailer in the pits. Sold a lot of stuff as foot traffic was pretty high. Not this year, saw very few cruising the pit areas.

But you allready had your spot for your pit. So you didn't have $80 to overcome and you could afford to just take a few parts for sale.

Do you think if you had two swap spots at $160 (10' wide is not enough) you'd be a little more worried about getting past your break even point?? Maybe not willing to deal so much on parts. Like, it's a bigger weight to carry??

I just think everyone that has a valve stem cap from an old mopar thinks it's gold and priced accordingly. $2500 for a tired 71 340 engine??? No thanks. .

True. I do think those more serious swapper types have always been present at swaps to some degree. It's ever increasing though.

I think it's the guys getting rid of a few things from his last project that makes parts reasonable. And that effects the higher priced swappers a little to. Now, how do you keep the little guys comming :scratch: :-k

There was one guy there with alot of parts and I know where he gets them. Then he jacks up the price(4x) to rip off the hobbiest. I wouldn't buy a part from him even if he had the last NOS part in the world.

I think you and I speak of the same guy! The same guy that is so gracious to assist in setting up the swap area prior to anyone entering, thursday, and nailing every good part at a reasonable price and jacking it by a factor of 2-4... yeah that guy. He's killing lots of little guys and cares about one thing only $$$$$$. When you try to sell a clutch sure grip assembly only, no case/gears, that needs a rebuild and missing the crossbolts for $300, you're an idiot!

I have a funny story about him trying to buy parts from me at a swap once and a discussion my buddy had with him at a boneyard. Not for this topic.

Steve, to answer your question about space cost. It really is an issue of pricing your parts to move. Whether it's a $10 space or a $500 space. If the stuff doesn't move, your toast anyways. In retrospect, the MATS pricing is outrageous. If I had a few items to sell, I'd try to hook up with a friend with a swap spot and float them a $20. I certainly couldn't park my trailer in a space smaller than 20x30 which puts me at $125 minimum. I think I paid about $60 last time I was at Fling for a space big enough for my trailer.

Prior to the event I heard lots of complaining about race entry/payouts, swap space cost, RV parking and the killer that drove a stake into the heart of the event... fuel prices.

-
Back