Mopowers' 66 Dart Build

-
Well, I've almost got the front sheet metal hung. I made it one piece so I could take the front end off as a unit.

P5100019-1.jpg

P5100022.jpg

P5100021.jpg

P5100023-1.jpg

Here are some pics of some engine parts I've accumulated. I wonder how high a scoop it will take to hide this set-up.

P5160020.jpg

P5160019.jpg

Man, You are sooo lucky to have an "old man" to help you out! It looks freeking awsome! You really turned that old "turd" as you called it into something really bad azz. Its going to be a show stopper when you get done!

Keep up the good work!

Man, You are sooo lucky to have an "old man" to help you out! It looks freeking awsome! You really turned that old "turd" as you called it into something really bad azz. Its going to be a show stopper when you get done!

Keep up the good work!

AND a brand x stopper!

Thanks guys! My pops and I are just trying our best. We've never done anything like this before, so it is taking a long time. Slow and steady wins the race though. Hopefully this weekend, we'll have the front sheet metal mounted and we'll be able to start mounting the motor and trans w/ homemade elephant ears of course.

I too don't know how I missed this thread! Awesome car. It is so cool that you are doing a 66. It is really rare to see one at the strip(I have the only one that runs at my local track). Keep up the great work and pics!!

It's been a while since I've updated this board. The front clip is done and slides on/off real easy. I'm in the process of mounting the engine and trans. Here are some update pics. Keep in mine the engine needs to move up about 3". In order to do that, I'm going to have to cut some of the floor out for the trans to clear.

P9270007.jpg

PA250012.jpg

PA250015.jpg

It's been a while since I've updated this board. The front clip is done and slides on/off real easy. I'm in the process of mounting the engine and trans. Here are some update pics. Keep in mine the engine needs to move up about 3". In order to do that, I'm going to have to cut some of the floor out for the trans to clear.

P9270007.jpg

PA250012.jpg

PA250015.jpg
Looks really good.
Did you run the bars through the firewall to the cage or just to the firewall?
Are you going to use a stock type front suspension?

Looks really good.
Did you run the bars through the firewall to the cage or just to the firewall?
Are you going to use a stock type front suspension?

The forward struts go through the firewall and tie into the cage. I put some 1/8" plate on the firewall to cover the gap around the tube and to tie the firewall into the cage a little.

I'm still up in the air on the front suspension. I have torsion bars and everything for it, but I'm beginning to think coil overs may be a better choice. That way I may be able to make a set of underchassis headers. We'll see. I still have quite a bit of work to do until then. It's just nice to see an engine between the rails. Even if it is on a floor jack.

Try capautoproducts.com. I talked to the owner at the Nationals. He does tubular front suspension for Mopars and has a 66 Canadian Valliant race car. OOPS!!! Last photo is a good lookin' Mopar but not the
one I wanted. The photos in my file are pretty small and I was just looking for a yellow car. toolmanmike

There was a guy either here or on Moparts that was selling a Capauto tubular K member. Problem with his was it had failed and he repaired it. He had nothing but problems in dealing with Cap. I'll dig up a pic of my K member

I'd consider myself a purist and at first, I didn't understand what was up. You've done some well thought out, quality work. Having done a full restoration of a '66 GT coupe, it is interesting to see what you have done. I'm curious to see how you will handle the exhaust under the passenger side of the car.

Best of luck with your race car. It's great to see some '66s that'll kick some brand-x butt.8)

66 Dart GT 001.jpg

P9270007.jpg

PA250012.jpg

PA250015.jpg
Its looking great. The front end work and clip is similar to what my Dad did to his 69 'Cuda:
P1062657.jpg

His all steel front clip is all tied together and it locks in in the front and zeus fastensat the top of the fenders and uses the two lower mounting holes for attachment. Its not needed to be removed often(hopefully) mostly to making engine work easier.

EDIT: Looking at that pic, I realize he moved his upper shock mount. It was originally set up like yours.

I like beautiful car even if their not factory built. Some times we as car nuts can improve what the factory done wrong. (Like a weak motor, plastic anything,) Looks like you gonnna have a bad ride when finished. If you get to Alabama I want to go cruising.

i luv this ride! years ago i had another 66 and the trunk floor was rotted completely away. now i wish i had made my own trunk floor just like yours. u and many others on this site really help me to think outside the box. keep up the good work.
:read2:8):cheers::love7::rock::salute::burnout:

-
Back