Moser 8 3/4 housing is a Ford

-
I can't see how they save money, the 8 3/4 cost as much as a 9" ford for the diff. 9" is a nodular case, do they even sell a std case ? My buddy just bought a 9" diff from them N case, Detroit locker, 4:11 gear set up ready to go I think w/shipping $1300. A 8 3/4" diff with a dana power lock is what $1375.00 from Dr diff ?

I can't see how they save money, the 8 3/4 cost as much as a 9" ford for the diff. 9" is a nodular case, do they even sell a std case ? My buddy just bought a 9" diff from them N case, Detroit locker, 4:11 gear set up ready to go I think w/shipping $1300. A 8 3/4" diff with a dana power lock is what $1375.00 from Dr diff ?

They may not. They mightta just messed up......OR the customer might notta specified that he wanted MOPAR ends, brakes and bearings. We just don't know that part. Go on their site and look. You can build a rear axle with whatever you want right in the cart. For 4K, I can build FOUR NICE Ford 9" rears to fit an A body. I think part of this story is a fool and his money.........

We will probably never know ! And who really cares ?

Exactly. I am modifying a Ford 9" right now for my Valiant......and........and.......I DON'T CARE that it's a Ford rear end. Neither will my car.

5 minutes on Moser's site and even with every option ( short of braces * clearly not on his housing ) and the Clearly called out Ford drum brakes it only adds up to 2300.00..... as previous people have stated, this is only one side of the story.....

My 67 Valiant uses a modified Ford 9" housing with rear bracing and four link brackets . I went with the 9" because it's lighter and at least as strong as a Dana 60, and there are more options available for brakes etc. Being able to drop out the center chunk make gear ratio swaps at the track easier too. My housing is from S&W Racecars, uses a Wavetrac diff, the 35 spline axles are Moser, and the brakes are Baer.

View attachment 1715377328
Strange engineering has a you tube video showing that their version of the Dana 60 with its threaded differential adjuster allows gear changes is 20 minutes if you already have your shim pack thicknesses figured in adavance. The Dana while slightly heavier, being of a Salisbury design is inherently stronger than a banjo design axle. The 9 inch can be beefed up to the strength of a Dana but look at the cost difference. The weight difference of the Dana is in the right locations and is precisely what makes it stronger imho.

Back in the 80s,I used to work at a place that rebuilt transmissions and rear ends and other drivelinechit. I built a lotta different rear ends for about a year. The Ford 9" came to be my favorite small rear. Setting them up was so quick and easy, I could do about a thousand a day, compared to the Mopar stuff. Well Ok, a thousand might be a slight exaggeration,lol. As I became more and more proficient, they moved me into bigger and bigger stuff. I really loved that job.

I really hope he doesn't install new bearings with that petroleum jelly still in 'em.

Who's "they"?
Not important, really.
Just so I know.
green bearings are ball and cage. picture a giant "Abec-3" sealed skateboard bearing. Dont know why they even make them...well maybe 10% less drag...
the 8.75 will fit in the oval Ford housing just fine. Its just bigger than it actually needs to be. The title of the vid should be 'Broken Ford bearing found under my Mopar"

Last edited:
Back in the 80s,I used to work at a place that rebuilt transmissions and rear ends and other drivelinechit. I built a lotta different rear ends for about a year. The Ford 9" came to be my favorite small rear. Setting them up was so quick and easy, I could do about a thousand a day, compared to the Mopar stuff. Well Ok, a thousand might be a slight exaggeration,lol. As I became more and more proficient, they moved me into bigger and bigger stuff. I really loved that job.

I really hope he doesn't install new bearings with that petroleum jelly still in 'em.
If you do something for a living day in and day out you get very good at it and fast.
But for the average car guy I still fail to see the advantage of the ford or 8 3/4 being faster to change gears than a Salibury axle with threaded adjusters. You have to pull the axles on either design, you have 10 or 12 bolts to either get the pumpkin out or the diff cover off, you have to drain the fluid on both.
Yes if you had another pumpkin all setup, the real advantage here is your shim packs and your backlash is already setup. But you could do that with a Dana and when you have the right stacks, just take them out and keep the gear sets together.
As the video on YouTube by strange engineering on the s60 points out, with there design eliminating the need for a case spreader, gear changes on a Dana can be done in 20 minutes.
As for the guy in the video, he should have just kept and repaired his 81/4, those rears were a Salibury design and were much stronger than people thought. I used one on the street with an 833 4 speed with 4:56 gears and beat the crap out of it with my 12 second 340 and never had a problem.
The problem with the drop out pumpkin type rears are the axle caps have no side support from the axle tubes like a Salibury design does
That means they flex and distort and the fords 3rd bearing cannot fix that. IMHO

-
Back