Most memorable drag image

-

MtNemoMopar

In the doghouse
Reaction score
I'm sure all of us have an image in their mind of what a drag car should look like. Mine is an image from way way back as a young boy. When I think drags, I imagine a 55 Chevy, wheels up. It just looks right. I know, it's not a Mopar(I'm kicking my own ***). What do you see as that one pic of a drag car?
As for stock cars, I would go with Buddy Bakers number 11 Petty Dodge(hey! the *** kicking did some good) sliding into the pits.That was a tough looking car.

Here is my favorite! When I was a little kid I remember looking inside my dads 1966 Barracuda 4-speed console, he had an old magizine clipping of this very car, always remembered that. He still has the Cuda and the magizine picture!!

10.jpg

Canary2.jpg

I remember the old days and seeing some of the old greats
Here's the restored Virginian altered wheelbase '65 Plymouth. This was shot at Atco, NJ, in late '99. This is a real FX, NASCAR & open competition match racer from '65-'66. The car originally was an A990 S/S car, then went through a number of radical changes to appear in this trim in late '65. It has since been re-restored and is now owned by Rick Demarco of NJ.

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.jpg

uuuuuuuuuuuuuu.jpg

It is very possible i was there in 1977.
us old farts had fun too.:-D

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.jpg

Nice Corvair....:munky2:

I always liked Wild Bill's ride!

wildbill.jpg

Nanook with all 4's in the air!!!

nanook_550x355.jpg
my dad said he had a friend in the early 70s with a Duster that would do this. idk how this happens but im guessing that it pulled the front off the ground then got some wicked wheel hop. dad says that this Duster was fast as hell. he says it was a 340. most likely a 4 speed car. i day dreamed about the car for the next 3 days or so. wild!

Bucth Leals California Flash 1974 prostock Duster on 2 wheels. Don't have a picture but it's etched in my brain.

Another one is when Don Garlits went nose up, spun around, landed and went through the finnish line backwards.

Mine's another one of those 'burned in' mental images: My old '69 340 Swinger that I was building to run NHRA Super Street (10.90 index) back in the early '80s. Car had coil-over front suspension, rack & pinion steering, completely removable 'glass front fenders and hood, but best of all were the 14x32 slicks completely tucked underneath the stock-height but lengthened rear tire openings. Car sat low like a current pro-stocker. Looked mean.
Unfortunately, had to sell the car before it was finished due to some bad financial times. Gotta find some old pictures of that car.

my dad said he had a friend in the early 70s with a Duster that would do this. idk how this happens but im guessing that it pulled the front off the ground then got some wicked wheel hop. dad says that this Duster was fast as hell. he says it was a 340. most likely a 4 speed car. i day dreamed about the car for the next 3 days or so. wild!

Back in the 60s & early 70s Mopar designed leaf spring rear drag race suspension, was designed to throw the tires into the pavement. Law of Physics - for every action there is a equal & opposite reaction. The pavement wouldn't move so the car body would rise. Once the suspension was fully extended the tires would leave the ground.

I remember watching a 64 Plymouth Wagon called the "War Wagon" do this in the early 70s. Rear tires didn't usually get very high, but enough that you could see daylight under them.

There are too many to post but most of them involve Sox and Martin, Dick Landy,
Bud Faubel, Arlen Vanke, and people like that.

Back in the 60s & early 70s Mopar designed leaf spring rear drag race suspension, was designed to throw the tires into the pavement. Law of Physics - for every action there is a equal & opposite reaction. The pavement wouldn't move so the car body would rise. Once the suspension was fully extended the tires would leave the ground.

I remember watching a 64 Plymouth Wagon called the "War Wagon" do this in the early 70s. Rear tires didn't usually get very high, but enough that you could see daylight under them.
thats what it was then. i bet theyd burn off reallll nicely after leavin the ground and get a sudden bounce when u jump to 5500rpm. lol

Another one is when Don Garlits went nose up, spun around, landed and went through the finnish line backwards.

I seen thy on tv and forgot all about it till now.

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.jpg

Slanted...
Concerning the sideways Altered, (not the freak in the last post), I do believe that is a Hemi causing all the ruckus, poss a 392.

Anyone have a VID of that?

My favorite would be the Hemi under glass. thats too cool.

for Nascar I liked the final years befor they started changing the rules so that the ford and chevy guys could keep up :)

-
Back