motor home block

-

moparmarkk

Reaction score
just got a 1969 318 engne, looks like it was rebuilt, has a canister. oil filter,and different timing cover, can this be used in a car? also temp. sensor is in the left head, thanks ,mark

just got a 1969 318 engne, looks like it was rebuilt, has a canister. oil filter,and different timing cover, can this be used in a car? also temp. sensor is in the left head, thanks ,mark
100 % yes have similar one from
1 ton single wheel dodge Camper.
U may have those unique cyl heads also check casting numbers.

When I bought my dart it came with a clapped out 360. I was able to get a free 360 out of a motorhome with documented mileage so I swapped them. I swapped the oil pan, all the accessories, and motor mounts, then she would have been ready to drop in. The last thing I did was swap the iron 2bbl intake to my aluminum 4bbl and also changed out all the freeze plugs just because I had it out and easy to access.

Point is, the bare long blocks are identical and you only need to swap a couple of the exterior items to get the correct fitment.

When I bought my dart it came with a clapped out 360. I was able to get a free 360 out of a motorhome with documented mileage so I swapped them. I swapped the oil pan, all the accessories, and motor mounts, then she would have been ready to drop in. The last thing I did was swap the iron 2bbl intake to my aluminum 4bbl and also changed out all the freeze plugs just because I had it out and easy to access.

Point is, the bare long blocks are identical and you only need to swap a couple of the exterior items to get the correct fitment.
Yes sir just a few differences
Oil pans etc

Water crossover instead of exhaust. The ones I have use Poly sized valves, 1.82 intake 1.52ish exhaust. They look to have decent flow potiential for a 318 head.

If you do find "318-3", then you should also find a forged crank inside.
Back in the early '70s people were searching for the 318-3 engines because of the included forged crank.

Water crossover instead of exhaust. The ones I have use Poly sized valves, 1.82 intake 1.52ish exhaust. They look to have decent flow potiential for a 318 head.
WATER/ COOLANT crossover, pay attention. Some of those used tapered seat "Ford style" 18mm plugs I think

and unique cylinder heads???
Yes, a 318-3 industrial engine uses a water crossover under the carb instead of an exhaust crossover. The intake is a match to that too, along with a cast iron timing cover with a water fitting on it that has a line going to the intake's water crossover. The heads have sodium filled exhaust valves and use tapered seat 18mm plugs.

If you do find "318-3", then you should also find a forged crank inside.
Back in the early '70s people were searching for the 318-3 engines because of the included forged crank.
Those weren't hard to find. All the '67 and earlier 318's have forged cranks.

Those weren't hard to find. All the '67 and earlier 318's have forged cranks.
The 318-3 is listed as a premium forging by the Mopar Performance catalog that is supposed to be tougher than the 340 crank forging. I don’t remember fully but IIRC it is made from a different alloy. It is listed as being shot peened, flame hardened, and Tuff-Rided piece.

-
Back