motor install question

-

furydan

not so junior member
Reaction score
I am getting ready to install a 318 into my 65 barracuda/4 speed.
When I pulled the old motor out, it was quite difficult to seperate the trans from the engine in the small space under the car. Now that everything is ready to go back in, would it be easier to unbolt the bellhousing from the tranny, bolt the bellhousing to the engine, then install? How do you get the clutch fork and throwout bearing back in if you do it this way?
Anyone got any install tips I should be aware of? Does the z-bar for the clutch need to be installed before or after motor is in. I pulled it all apart as the engine was coming out and had to replace all the bushings in the z-bar and it is waiting to be installed as well.
Any tips or tricks would be great. Plus, if anyone has or knows of someone who has a lower bellhousing cover for a 9.5" clutch bellhousing I sure could use it. I set mine down on the lip of a trash can and it fell in and was tossed with the trash by mistake.
Thanks,
Dan

Pull the trans and bolt it to the engine before installing it. I unbolted the pitman arm and idler arm on mine and it went in as easily as can be expected in a small car.

Make sure you have your bearing in the back of the 318 crank before install(it,s a simple mistake to forget)also the throwout bearing on the tranny shaft when installing.Fork should go back on no problem.Good luck!

I would definitely put the bell housing on the motor. The trans too if you have room to install it as a unit. If not. Just bolt on your pressure plate and be sure to use a clutch alignment tool. Put the bell housing on and put the fork and release bearing in place in the housing. The bearing and fork sit loosly but that will allow you to stab the trans in place. Use a little ease so you won't knock the bearing off of the fork installing the trans. A Trans jack works really nice for this since the trans is so heavy. If you can keep the rear of the motor at a down ange it gives a little more room to manuever the trans into place. Once it's in check the fork and bearing to make sure they are in the proper alignment and on the trans shaft and it moves in and out. You won't be able to move it much without trying to depress the pressure plate but that's normal. Put the z bar on after the engine is installed. Good luck. Hope this helps.

-
Back