motor or body work

-

rc14

jr member
Reaction score
OK what should i do first order the motor first or get started on the body work. I will be doing quarters panels for sure not sure about the rest until i strip her down.
Thanks for your help guys i try to get on here every day some and just read some post but do not reply much yet.

Do the body work first. My new engine has been sitting for quite a while waiting on the body. Also makes the body work easier not having to work around or worry about spraying your new engine.

1-Body
2-Suspension
3-Interior
4-Motor

Or you can do it like I did with Nikkis 72....everything all at once!!! (Maybe thats why it's still not done yet)

I know exactly what youre talking about scamp the motor is still in the machine shop because he doesnt charge storage

i have found it works out the best if you can get your mototr in first. i have seen guys mess up nice paint jobs by leaning over the fenders installing an engine and fender covers seem to do more damage then they protect against.

i have found it works out the best if you can get your mototr in first. i have seen guys mess up nice paint jobs by leaning over the fenders installing an engine and fender covers seem to do more damage then they protect against.

I agree, just do your body work in the engine compartment and then repair the engine/drivetrain.The rest of the body work can be done at your leisure. If the car is mobile then you can take it wherever you may need to. I`m bad about scratching up things so that`s my angle on it. In a perfect world it probably would be best to do all the body work/paint and drop your new engine in the fresh car without as much as a scratch, (just like on T.V.).

Do the body work, Pull the K frame out and rebuild the suspension, Bolt the motor up to the K frame and drop the car on top of the K frame (engine in from the bottom)

even if you drop the body over the k member you still have to hook up all your wiring, linkage, hoses put your rad back ect. you could get all you metal work done before the engine but i wouldn`t paint you r car till you have the engine installed. that my opintion as a bodyman with over 10 years experience ( in a shop not my back yard)

Any way you do it your going to risk scratching something. Your just as likely to scratch something putting the interior, glass or trim back together.

Plus thats a ton of masking to keep all that body shop dust and over spray out of the engine bay and off of your detailed suspension parts.

Of coarse that just with my 15 years of back yard experience.

Ive been restoring,customizing,you name it for over 20 years.Ive put cars together every different way possible.It can be done either way.I personally like to drive my cars too much,so im gonna do the engine/engine compartment first,so i can drive this thing while i work all the wrinkles out of it,and prime/paint the rest.But my car will be like my avatar,orange and black,but the whole thing will be painted black singlestage urethane to begin with,for a few reasons,mainly because black shows everything.after the black cures for a month or so,i will sand the whole thing down with 1000 grit on a block,repair anything i might have missed the first time,shoot the hemi orange on top,silver aar stripe on the side,and clear the whole thing.Thats how i like to do mine.

If we drove chevys or fords it would be much easier since the enging bay is black.
Chryslers,as we know,the engine bay is the color of the car.Therefore we need to take the motor out to paint.

Long story short,take the car apart,paint,put back together.

Any other way is overspray city......been there done that on my first Dart.

i think it depends on the posistion your in for me body was fairly rough needs driver 1/4 panel car was street raced hard some sub frame damege curbs ect. but in good driveing cond so i built the motor and drove it for 15 years nver could aford body work or just thought so so i did motor trany exhst susp then interior now ineed motor again and body work just pick the part that works for you good luck its all fun :toothy10:

I'm with Adam and 360scamp: Body, suspension, interior, engine. I have a tendency to pull everything apart then start right on the engine because that's my forte' and what I enjoy the most, but the engine should really be started on when the interior is being finished.

I prefer to do as much mecahnical as possible before shell painting. Painting the engine bay before engine goes in is easy enough. Those who say fender covers etc.. protect the paint have to admit they have seen a floor jack, air hose or something scar a paint job. Sure the factory painted first but consider their work conditions, equipment, experience. Still sht happens. I've seen their build sheets with back to body shop markings on them due to scratches and dings.

i was watching TV, guys working on a mopar and to avoid any trouble with that they lifted body and dropped whole front end engine wheels k frame, and all down on a lift, just by removing about 4 main bolts is this possible or TV magic?

and for me i wish i had finished paint and body work after engine was dropped in, was hard avoiding scratches and nicks but then again I'm just an amateur builder

Thanks guys i plan to do a mock up before the finish paint but i would like to get the body work done before i install the motor but i don't think i can put the hemi in from below the car. i am also afraid that once i put that bad boy in i will not want to take it out again. my a$$ will be wanting to drive it and the paint will not get done.

Thanks again i do like this site. Good folks

Yep Take off the fan and tie the radiater to the engine. Drive 1 pin out of the steering column. Split upper ball joints. To drill the brads from slash shields will let the K member move forward thus seperating the torsion bars.
Watch your toes 'cause there it goes :)

i was watching TV, guys working on a mopar and to avoid any trouble with that they lifted body and dropped whole front end engine wheels k frame, and all down on a lift, just by removing about 4 main bolts is this possible or TV magic?

-
Back