Motor Trend/Hotrod article: 1972 Scamp restomod by Pure Vision

-
Who cares about the bumble bee stripe? Lots of things on that car didn’t come on a Scamp.

It’s still somebody’s car, if they like the stripe that’s all that matters.

Who cares? I think you quoted someone who does. :)

I put up the thread to talk about a car that seemed interesting and well done and just about every aspect of that is subject to opinion.

Now that we have established that, I think the bumblebee stripe looks great on this Scamp but I can also see how it could be out of place from one perspective. If someone restomods an Oldsmobile and they retrofit Buick fender portholes, it would irk me no matter how well executed they were. So I think I get abodyjoe's point.

The rubber band tires ruin the overall picture of this car

I totally get this point and often, I have the same first impression but more and more often, you can spot the cars that are built mostly for performance by the use of these tires. Drag tires not withstanding, the tires that come in the non-rubber band look are really only suitable for driving to and from car shows. Even a stock performance oriented Mopar is wasted on BFG Radial T/As or Cooper Cobras, etc.

So in the context of a performance oriented build, "rubber band" tires can actually carry performance credibility.

Sorry, not diggin' it. He has done some nice stuff for sure, but I think he missed the mark on this one. Just my two cents.

I don't care for the overall exterior look so much, imho, but I really dig that undercarriage. Spotless.

Who cares about the bumble bee stripe? Lots of things on that car didn’t come on a Scamp.

It’s still somebody’s car, if they like the stripe that’s all that matters.
I like it! They went the "what if" car direction. As if the factory might have done it.

I like it! They went the "what if" car direction. As if the factory might have done it.

Yeah I just think it's funny when people get bent out of shape because of a bumblebee stripe on a Scamp. The car has the exact same *** end as the Dart that the stripe was designed for.

Sure, you couldn't get a bumblebee stripe on a Scamp from the factory. So what? There's a ton of stuff on MOST peoples cars that didn't come that way from the factory. Being weird about a vinyl stripe that's easy enough to remove just seems unnecessary. I mean the car in question has a RoadRunner AirGrabber hood scoop installed on it! Which looks great, but clearly, wasn't available on a Scamp. So I don't get the bumblebee stripe thing, especially on this car. Clearly not a factory correct car!

Yeah I just think it's funny when people get bent out of shape because of a bumblebee stripe on a Scamp. The car has the exact same *** end as the Dart that the stripe was designed for.

no one is bent out of shape over it. i think it lacks imagination is all. everyone is sharing their opinion on the car and thats what i did. it amazes me that it gets you so bothered that someone voiced an opinion. guess you are the only one allowed to have an opinion now?

As an owner/builder of a 72' Scamp, I'm happy to see they're getting some love. :)

It's a cool car, no doubt. And there some subtle interior mods that most people would probably overlook if they didn't know the car (like how they used a super-rare heater delete bezel and then modified the empty face plate for the controls). Or how they re-textured the dash bezels to remove the faux woodgrain.

Beyond the obvious mods, that little attention to detail is cool and appreciated. And it take a TON of time to do.

My only gripe with this peice is the orientation of the stripes. From a visual perspective, I don't like it when stripes are perpendicular to each other on the same car. Meaning, you have a hood stripe that runs parallel to the car, and then the bumblebee stripe that runs horizontal. It creates a visual 'T' and it drives me crazy. IMO, a performance car should always look like it's in motion, even when it's sitting still. When you start crossing stripes like that it takes away from the flow, and my eye focuses around the C-pillar rather than the overall stance of the car.

It's art, guys. Art that we drive. Sometimes it won't make sense to everyone. But I think we can all appreciate the effort it takes to create it.

My only gripe with this peice is the orientation of the stripes. From a visual perspective, I don't like it when stripes are perpendicular to each other on the same car. Meaning, you have a hood stripe that runs parallel to the car, and then the bumblebee stripe that runs horizontal. It creates a visual 'T' and it drives me crazy. IMO, a performance car should always look like it's in motion, even when it's sitting still. When you start crossing stripes like that it takes away from the flow, and my eye focuses around the C-pillar rather than the overall stance of the car.

Interesting point, I've never looked at it that way. Went back and looked at the pictures again and don't see it taking away from the the car (to me), but a new perspective I haven't looked at cars from.

It's art, guys. Art that we drive. Sometimes it won't make sense to everyone. But I think we can all appreciate the effort it takes to create it.

Very true.

Sure, you couldn't get a bumblebee stripe on a Scamp from the factory. So what? There's a ton of stuff on MOST peoples cars that didn't come that way from the factory. Being weird about a vinyl stripe that's easy enough to remove just seems unnecessary. I mean the car in question has a RoadRunner AirGrabber hood scoop installed on it! Which looks great, but clearly, wasn't available on a Scamp. So I don't get the bumblebee stripe thing, especially on this car. Clearly not a factory correct car!

Not disagreeing with your point here at all but just playing devil's advocate (which I do often and he rewards me handsomely for it), the bumblebee stripe was straight up a DODGE thing. Sure, it looks fine aesthetically since it fits the sheet metal but it seems to be catering to people who just don't know better. It also requires people who do know that it's a Dodge signature stripe to set aside their cognitive dissonance which could understandably impede one's ability appreciate the look.

Wouldn't it look a little bit weird to put a Plymouth Rapid Transit logo on a Dodge...even if you snipped off the "Plymouth Makes It" text?

1671727096678.png

We all have our personal preferences.

I think the car looks pretty cool because many of the mods are custom mods brought over from other Mopars. Don't like everything about the car but there's bits and pieces there that are really subtle and cool. Both of the stripes look great to me. Never once gave it a thought that Dodge stripes couldn't be put on a Plymouth. I mean I wouldn't put a Dodge emblem on a Plymouth but I wouldn't think twice about putting a Demon side stripe on a Duster.

My own personal pet peeves involve things like stitching words or designs into head rests or putting newer bucket seats into old cars. Completely destroys the classic look of the interior to me but you post a picture of Dodge Intrepid seats in a Duster and it'll get 10 likes. To each their own.

I think Scamp's are a little unique to the Mopar Musclecar era. They are Dart with a Valiant front end. Split right at the firewall.

No other Mopar had Plymouth and Dodge front/rear ends morphed together. Except some Canadian early 60's cars.

I don't like bumble bee stripes on Road Runners or Cuda.

But in this case there are Dodge things (Bumblebee stripe) on the "Dodge" part of the car. And Plymouth things (70 RR Air Grabber) on the "Plymouth" part of the car.

-
Back