Motor Trend/Hotrod article: 1972 Scamp restomod by Pure Vision

-

MRGTX

Reaction score
This one caught my eye this morning. Does anyone know this car or the owner?

I have no prior knowledge of Pure Vision but they did a super nice job (in my subjective opinion) on setting up this Scamp.
It's a stroker small block, 727 trans, 8.75" rear end...and they RETAINED the torsion bar suspension. Once I read that last part, I knew I would probably agree with a lot of the decisions made on this car. :)

I love the lights in the bumper, the very subtle duck tail spoiler, the integration of the Air Grabber hood. All very well done...the drop spindles were probably ill advised from a performance perspective but the stance of the car is extremely nice.

What do you guys think?

Pure Vision Transforms a 1972 Plymouth Scamp With Cool Mopar Mods

1671213975234.png

I have no prior knowledge of Pure Vision
Pure Vision was Started in the 90's. Steve Strope owner.When I knew him he was a one man shop. He has come along way.
I met Steve on the 97 Hot Rod Power Tour and ended up working with him on 2 of my own cars and I bought a 66 Charger from him too.I supplied a few cars his customers were looking for. Later we did several more of his customer cars. Last for me was around 2005-6.
He has some great Ideas.

Last edited:
Steve's Pure Vision shop is located in SoCal.
The shop's display is a regular at the Grand National Roadster Show and always has some great rides.

Nice looking car!

I didn’t see where they said what size the torsion bars are. They look bigger than stock, but unless they’re bigger than 1” diameter they would need the drop spindles to sit that low. Although yeah, you can go 1.12” with the bars and lose the drop spindles and have better suspension geometry. The limiting factor is the height of the inner fenders at that point, and drop spindles don’t fix that.

This one caught my eye this morning. Does anyone know this car or the owner?

I have no prior knowledge of Pure Vision but they did a super nice job (in my subjective opinion) on setting up this Scamp.
It's a stroker small block, 727 trans, 8.75" rear end...and they RETAINED the torsion bar suspension. Once I read that last part, I knew I would probably agree with a lot of the decisions made on this car. :)

I love the lights in the bumper, the very subtle duck tail spoiler, the integration of the Air Grabber hood. All very well done...the drop spindles were probably ill advised from a performance perspective but the stance of the car is extremely nice.

What do you guys think?

Pure Vision Transforms a 1972 Plymouth Scamp With Cool Mopar Mods

View attachment 1716022918

I love the car, has some neat touches.

My brother did an AirGrabber hood on his '71 Duster back in the 80's and I have loved the look ever since, so I have a bias going into the article due to that.

My favorite style is painted steel wheels, so I like that look too. Looked up the wheels and can't handle the $1150 price each though. Agree with doing it on the build, just out of budget for me.

Love the E-Body console. I have a junk one I thought about using in a similar way, but doesn't fit between my stock A-Body seats. Might be because they are '74 vintage, I know the '70 seats I had in the car when I first owned my Duster had more room, so I am assuming the seat buns are wider. Either way, cool to see it done.

Article mentions the re-introduced Baer PDC front brakes, but the pictures show the stock style single piston brakes. I wonder if Pure Vision swapped them later but the pictures were taken prior to that.

Seats tricked me, too. They say they are Moab seats from Corbeau, but when I went to look at them the seats have a hole in the back for harnesses. After a little while I figured out they must have recovered them and deleted the slot for the harness. Looks like a really good match for A-Body buckets. Nice job!

Curious about the speakers in the door. They are flush mounted and subtle. I like it.

Over all, really a cool build. Very much a pattern as to what someone could build with mostly stock parts. Really isn't much more than an updated A-Body with an over the top attention to detail. I really like it.

Last edited:
Pure Vision was Started in the 90's. Steve Strope owner.When I knew him he was a one man shop. He has come along way.
I met Steve on the 97 Hot Rod Power Tour and ended up working with him on 2 of my own cars and I bought a 66 Charger from him too.I supplied a few cars his customers were looking for. Later we did several more of his customer cars. Last for me was around 2005-6.
He has some great Ideas.

Very recently I went and look up Dust'Ya again. Still an inspirational build for me.

far=&q=90&src=%2Fassets%2Fgallery%2F72%2Fhot_rod_1.jpg

Last edited:
i like the road runner touches. bumble bee stripe needs to go though. doesn't belong on a plymouth, plus its way too over done. custom car builder should have more imagination that that,,

Pure Vision is one of my favorite builders. Just seems like they build stuff the average guy could build and actually drive, but with twists that really set them off from other cars. And when you add the attention to detail, just makes them over the top cool.

As a contrast, I like some of the stuff the Ring Brothers build, but their stuff just seems to be too over the top, everything custom $1M builds. Cool stuff, but really not much to look at copying ideas from unless you have a 5 axis milling machine and can 3D print metal parts. Nice to look at but not much (for me) to aspire to duplicating.

Pure Vision seems to be real guy stuff I can pretend I can emulate. Not much chance I ever will, but fun to dream.

If I ever hit the Lottery (that I don't buy tickets for) I would build a '71-2 B-Body like the red GTX with white wheels. Such a cool build.

&far=&q=90&src=%2Fassets%2Fgallery%2F68%2Fready_9_.jpg

i like the road runner touches. bumble bee stripe needs to go though. doesn't belong on a plymouth, plus its way too over done. custom car builder should have more imagination that that,,

Who cares about the bumble bee stripe? Lots of things on that car didn’t come on a Scamp.

It’s still somebody’s car, if they like the stripe that’s all that matters.

Who cares about the bumble bee stripe? Lots of things on that car didn’t come on a Scamp.

It’s still somebody’s car, if they like the stripe that’s all that matters.

like i said i like the rr parts. the stripe is just out of place in my opinion.

Love the hood

The stance is decent

The rubber band tires ruin the overall picture of this car

The rubber band tires ruin the overall picture of this car

In my opinion 4" of sidewall isn't a rubber band tire. In my mind that is actually the ideal. Just enough to have some sidewall, but low enough to look aggressive and handle well.

Too each there own, not arguing with you. Just my opinion.

In my opinion 4" of sidewall isn't a rubber band tire. In my mind that is actually the ideal. Just enough to have some sidewall, but low enough to look aggressive and handle well.

Too each there own, not arguing with you. Just my opinion.
But you don't measure rubber bands by actually sidewall, by by proportion to the wheel

4 inches may look decent on a 14 inch wheel, but not on an 18

And, in my opinion, that car is lacking sidewall and does not look aggressive, nor good

I like pure visions cars in general. That Scamp is nice. But I met Steve Strope once at the GNRS And once at SEMA and both times he was a dick. Probably had a lot going on and I can understand that but both times he acted too good for anyone else near him and I didn’t take kindly to it.

Last edited:
But you don't measure rubber bands by actually sidewall, by by proportion to the wheel

4 inches may look decent on a 14 inch wheel, but not on an 18

And, in my opinion, that car is lacking sidewall and does not look aggressive, nor good

Valid point, proportions have a huge impact on the visuals of things.

Still doesn't look too small to me, but I wouldn't want much less either.

:thumbsup:

@ns1rm21 here on FABO was the lead builder on that car. He works at Pure Vision.

Most of the craftmanship is his.

The metal work done at the body shop on the hood alone was like $50K. There's a LOT more done to it than would appear a first glance. It's much more than a grafted on RR hood.

The car owner is one of the owners of ARP Fasteners.

00654F34-5184-4345-8D7B-09440513BF92.jpeg

5DD9D46A-E258-4081-9D62-7B0BB2F45D75.jpeg

Last edited:
Really well done, only thing I would change is remove the gear vendors overdrive and replace the trans with an electric overdrive 727 out of an 89 pickup.

bumble bee stripe needs to go though. doesn't belong on a plymouth,
Gotta say it is one of my biggest pet peeves.
I agree allot of stuff done to the cars are what the "Owner" wants.
Funny thing is when I wanted to do a build, I had a Scamp. Steve talked me into doing a Duster.
When we did DustYa' we were both in our formative years as far as car building.Steve and I spent allot of time together.
One of Steve's down falls is his arrogance. I told him it must be his New York upbringing. Once you get to know him. :lol:

GTXR looked the part but was plagued with problems. Could be I hated that car from day one.
I had another car in mind but got talked into it.

GTXR looked the part but was plagued with problems. Could be I hated that car from day one.
I had another car in mind but got talked into it.

I didn't realize the GTXR was yours as well. I remember seeing it at Mopars at the Strip and full on fell in love with the look.

Love the E-Body console.
He was doing a 72 Dart for a customer and had plans for a complete E body interior.
Customer bailed on the project. Never did know what happened to it after.

-
Back