Mouse prevention

-

nowmopardave

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
Well,it's that time of year again (at least for us unlucky northerners): time to store our favorite rides for another long winter.
I just scored some nice storage in a brick garage on an estate not far from my home. I'll move 2 into it, & have my 2 car garage to work one another.
The estate is out in the country, so I'm concerned about keeping mice out of the cars. I've heard all the stories: mothballs, drier sheets, even Irish Spring soap (my friend tried the soap in his wife's 'Vette last winter: the mice ate the soap, & crapped it back out in the car!).

I'd love to hear what everyone does to prevent the little rodents.

Thanks

Dave

I put dryer sheets in my car last winter. I didn't get any mouse damage and I know I did have mice in the garage last winter because I ended up catching five or so in the sticky traps. The snap style traps were just getting picked clean. I'm not sure if the dryer sheets kept them out of the car or not, but the first ride in the spring the car smelled just out of the dryer fresh!! nice!!

these work well

choice_129.jpg

Best ive found is to have the car sealed up tight where they cant get in.

Tried all the rest of the theories and nothing has worked.We did find that leaving a pail 1/2 to 3/4s full of water in the building,they would jump in and couldnt get back out.If its really cold climate may add some antifreeze if there are no other animals(pets)present to keep from freezing.

If the car seals up good the cowl grill is usually where they come in,block it off and you should be ok,only way i have had success.

I have also heard of Cedar strips,shavings,blood meal or you could try spraying wolf urine around the car.You can get it at your local sporting goods store.

my male attacks anything small that moves
he follows me in late summer when i cut the grass
and kills every cricket he can catch

dogs 024.jpg

dogs 027.jpg

I've used cotton balls soaked in Pure Peppermint Oil placed in plastic containers. Works really well. Only drawback is the peppermint oil is a bit on the expensive side and not widely available. I get it from my cousin who runs a herb & spice shop.

You might think I'm crazy but get yourself a black snake and release it in there.... you won't have to worry about the mice anymore.

when we lived on the farm by york pa
we had 3-4 cats all the time
and dad would bring home every black snake he found sunning on the road
and turn it loose in the barn
that combined with a jackrussell and 2 german shorthaired pointers
meant we never had any problems with mice,groundhogs etc :)

Method #1: Jack up car, place jack stands in disposable aluminum cooking trays, fill trays with just enough motor oil to fill the tray about 2", cover car and lock her up with Bounce dryer sheets inside.

Method #2: Drive-in, sealable, storage bag w/ air circulation motor.

Method #3: Cat.... :snakeman:

I use method #1, which is a royal pain in the *** on nice winter days when you might want to go for a cruise....

Method #1: Jack up car, place jack stands in disposable aluminum cooking trays, fill trays with just enough motor oil to fill the tray about 2", cover car and lock her up with Bounce dryer sheets inside.

Method #2: Drive-in, sealable, storage bag w/ air circulation motor.

Method #3: Cat.... :snakeman:

I use method #1, which is a royal pain in the *** on nice winter days when you might want to go for a cruise....

Man that method one is pretty smart thinking. You come up with that John?

That reminded me of a mouse trap technique. Something of the nature that a string from the ceiling with food on the end (cheese) over a half full 5 gallon bucket of water. The mouse will try to reach out and get the food fall into the bucket of water and drown. This can be used on larger varmints also ..... lol!

...and here I thought this thread was gonna be about how to keep small-block chevys out of your neighborhood!

I put one of those electronic things in an outlet down in the basement and haven't had a mouse in there since. I put dryer sheets in the care too. One in the trunk, one under the console, one in the unused window washer bottle.
The dog poop can serve as a rodents food source.

I'll share a memory from the good ol' days..
I would play hookie from school and hang out at a local auto repair shop. I still believe I learned more there than I did in school. Anyway, The 2 guys there would buy short cokes and pour salted peanuts in the bottle.One hand snack and no greasey /oily nuts. LOL This was a time when there was a 3 cent deposit on a soda bottle so when they first sent me on a snack run I asked should I grab a few of the many bottles laying around the perimitter of the shop to trade in. Their answer was no and I didn't request explanation.
Then the day came that one of those bottles began rolling around ( easily heard on a concrete floor ). AH HA ! the last swallow and a couple of peanuts was bait in a 3 cent mouse trap. The little fellow ould get his belly full then couldn't get out again. Into the dumpster it went.

I've always heard that mothballs will keep mice away. I found some with their own plastic hangers and hung them on my farm tractors in the barn in the winter time, haven't had any mouse damage or nests in my tractors.

About a 4 or 5 inch plastic (non-conductive) pedestal in a pie tin. About an inch of water in the tin, and a galvanized nail in the top of the pedestal with the bait attached (peanut butter is the best bait, cause they gotta lick and lick).
Then attach the neutral from an extension cord to the tin, and the hot conductor to the nail. It won't draw 15 amps and trip when the little SOBs complete the circuit. Just keep your kids and pets clear. :wack:

-
Back