Move engine back

-
I just don't understand this. This is a later A body, not an early one. I don't understand WHERE you're runnin outta room or HOW.

I just don't understand this. This is a later A body, not an early one. I don't understand WHERE you're runnin outta room or HOW.

He’s got a radiator with a thicker core than stock with a poorly designed electric fan and shroud set up. And a fancy serpentine set up designed for looks vs function.

The poorly designed shroud and fan set up is by far the biggest issue though. Not sure what Griffen charged for that mess of a fan shroud, but it was too much.

He’s got a radiator with a thicker core than stock with a poorly designed electric fan and shroud set up. And a fancy serpentine set up designed for looks vs function.

The poorly designed shroud and fan set up is by far the biggest issue though. Not sure what Griffen charged for that mess of a fan shroud, but it was too much.
I see, so there are several contributors all adding up. I was wondering, because the later A bodies usually have a pile of room.

The combination of the l bracket mounts that stood the radiator off the support 1", the radiator width, shroud and fans width combined with the extra width of the serpentine belt system resulted in the water pump pulley hitting the electric fans. The full radiator width was just over 7".
Took these photo’s after shaving the radiator l-bracket and mounting a flush bracket
189FB4DD-D0FC-4F37-B990-8EEDB76DED9E.jpeg
C8FED614-13C8-446F-A772-EB825FA598AB.jpeg
A47E1AFD-97BB-4D15-AA19-8559344DCDC5.jpeg

The combination of the l bracket mounts that stood the radiator off the support 1", the radiator width, shroud and fans width combined with the extra width of the serpentine belt system resulted in the water pump pulley hitting the electric fans. The full radiator width was just over 7".
Took these photo’s after shaving the radiator l-bracket and mounting a flush bracket
View attachment 1715903743 View attachment 1715903744 View attachment 1715903745
uhhhh....I think I'd be changing "something". lol

The Ford Contour fan set up is 3” from the back of the radiator core to the deepest part of the shroud. The backs of the fan motors are about 3.5” from the back of the radiator core, but they’re offset so the motors aren’t in front of the water pump. The core on my radiator is 2.5” thick, so front of the core to the back of the fan motors is ~6”, or 5.5” to the shroud right in front of the water pump.

Think you need to lose that fan and shroud assembly.

Is it possible? Sure. But you’d need to fabricate new engine and transmission mounts. And then deal with the transmission linkage and/or floor opening depending on your shifter and transmission type. And then deal with the exhaust issue (header clearance), distributor to firewall and wiper motor clearance, and even the valve cover to firewall and valve cover to bulkhead connector clearance.

Depending on how far you move it some of those may be bigger issues than others. Seems like a lot of trouble for very little gain. What is the clearance issue in the front?
And you may have to shorten the driveshaft.

Oh well the problem is solved. I removed the “L” mounting flange at the radiator support and used a flush bracket, 3/4” gained. Then I took the shroud and removed about 3/4” off of the sides all the way around, another 3/4” gained. So all in I gained 1 1/4”.

555A5F6F-061A-4197-B2EC-CBC044EA0343.jpeg

Oh well the problem is solved. I removed the “L” mounting flange at the radiator support and used a flush bracket, 3/4” gained. Then I took the shroud and removed about 3/4” off of the sides all the way around, another 3/4” gained. So all in I gained 1 1/4”.

View attachment 1715906196

Nice work!

Now the real question, what cfm is that fan set up rated at?

Nice work!

Now the real question, what cfm is that fan set up rated at?

Not sure really but I will look into that. I have that same setup on my big block ebody and have had zero issues with cooling

1734 for one or both?

If that’s for both that’s no where near enough.

I forget exactly what the factory mechanical fan provides, but I know I’d never go less than 2,500 cfm. The Contour fans I run are 3,000 cfm at low speed and 5,000 cfm on high.

View attachment 1715906196
i'm no mathematician but when i was at school 3/4" + 3/4" was 1 1/2" lol. :thumbsup:

I added in for the hard spacers between the radiator support and the mounting flange

Thought I’d post a pic of the looks vs function serpentine belt system, for those who sometimes put a little value in something that’s looks good and works good too. Of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

A893B968-365B-4EC8-BE83-BA50F4FCBC48.jpeg
6439057B-FD1B-44DB-9D51-D6C9057FE76C.jpeg

-
Back