Moved to California from IL, have questions about registering my mopar in CA

-

billytuffnuts

Reaction score
I recently moved from Illinois to California and need to re-register my 72 demon which is currently registered with Illinois Antique Vehicle (emissions exempt) plates.

Ive been told that since my car is a 72 that it will be exempt in California too, is that correct?

The reason I ask is I'm worried that since its been modified and some of the parts don't have CARB stickers or whatever (since I didn't need them in IL), am I going to have issues with getting it smogged (if I even need to??). It was a /6 car with a 360, cam, crosswind intake, headers, holley 750 vac sec, etc. Not an all out race car by any means but not stock.

I plan on registering it as an antique/collector car if possible.

Thanks

If it is current in the IL DMV system, you should be able to walk in, pay an arm or leg, show proof of insurance, and be done. If not, a VIN verification and/or CHP inspection would be in order. Like Orange said, no smog needed.

Don't be surprised if they throw you a curve ball. DMV is very subjective, depending on which worker you get. I once sat in line for over an hour after being told I didn't need a VIN verification form completed by a peace officer. When I got to the teller, she told me I needed one and wouldn't register my car.

Don't be surprised if they throw you a curve ball. DMV is very subjective, depending on which worker you get. I once sat in line for over an hour after being told I didn't need a VIN verification form completed by a peace officer. When I got to the teller, she told me I needed one and wouldn't register my car.
This is true everywhere. When I got my bike several years ago (in AZ) a buddy got the same bike a few weeks earlier. We both went to the same DMV office to get the bikes vin generated. When he went they needed to see the bike, when I went they did not. I have been told that here in Washington that an out of state vehicle needs to have a visual inspection, has not happened on the vehicles I have registered up here. Was told by the DMV folks here that it is a county by county type of deal. I was told, years ago, that CA. has some goofy law about the motor having to be the same year as the car , or newer?

No smog needed. Think it is only 76? and newer that needs smog.
not exactly correct. 75' and older don't need the inspection every 2 years.
technically the car is still required to have all the smog equipment in place, any after market parts need a CARB# and run within spec.

realistically a cop pulling you over for whatever, talking you into popping the hood, (i'd tell em' no thanks and stick to it), and deciding to send you to a referee station, should be your only problem.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/howto/htvr9.htm <<<DMV INFO

good luck and welcome to cali

...I was told, years ago, that CA. has some goofy law about the motor having to be the same year as the car , or newer?
the car has to meet smog based on whatever is newer, the motor or the car.
that new HEMI in your 65' belvedere is supposed to meet the smog specs for the engine year :cwm10:

that new HEMI in your 65' belvedere is supposed to meet the smog specs for the engine year :cwm10:

I'd say that "new hemi" just became a 65 426 This is one big reason I wanted a 67/ earlier car. Even here in N Idaho -- it's a state of the mind-- there has been talk of implimenting yearly checks, because of the air "wafting over" from Spokane.

So if you drop a otor from a 2006 in a 65 Belvedere the car has to pass the 06 sniff test? Which means you have to use the 06 ecu so they can plug it in, correct? Have not dealt with emissions since leaving AZ, and AZ did the IM 240 test when I lived there, from what I remember anything that was obd II just got plugged in....

I don't think that is true....at least not in my experience. I think the rule is any vehicle that requires a smog check ('76 and newer) has to have an engine the same year or newer. Now if it's a specially constructed vehicle (kit car, dune buggy, etc.) I think they use the year it was built as the basis for emission specs. A '72 Demon should fly right through as long as you have all your paperwork in order. Being out of state, you'll probably have to have a VIN verification but most DMV's have a verifyer on site. Hopefully you have the stock VIN tag and rivets or you'll end up at the CHP for secondary VIN checks. If your car has a salvage title, it's possible you'll have to get a brake and lamp inspection but if it's a clean pink, you should have no trouble......except that your wallet will be smoking after it's all over and done!

You may want to do yourself a favor if you're worried about it and check with a private DMV service company. They don't charge all that much to go jump through the hoops for you at the DMV and they know all the in's and out's of getting things through without problems.

technically the car is still required to have all the smog equipment in place, any after market parts need a CARB# and run within spec.

realistically a cop pulling you over for whatever, talking you into popping the hood, (i'd tell em' no thanks and stick to it), and deciding to send you to a referee station, should be your only problem.

While I believe that is true. My experiance with DMV is they don't care about the smog if it's older than 1975 and they are not trained to even inspect it. That being said they may or may not want a vin verification and that can be done right at DMV by the person helping you if you have the car with you. They may also require some other safety inspection for brake and headlamps by a third party. However if the car is currently registered I doubt that will be required. As said already it just depends on who is helping you that day.

As far as anyone in California with a 1975 and earlier modified car. I personally would not consent to a engine inspection to any officer of the law. If they really what to see it they can get a search warrant. Once you get cited for a modified engine or tampered smog devices you will be in the system of Hell and trying to get your life back. Some departments have offices trained on smog equipment laws to deal with the fast and furious street racing crowd. Normally they leave us muscle car guys alone unless you are doing something totally stupid to attact attention.

I'd say that "new hemi" just became a 65 426 This is one big reason I wanted a 67/ earlier car. Even here in N Idaho -- it's a state of the mind-- there has been talk of implimenting yearly checks, because of the air "wafting over" from Spokane.
I live in Stevens county and we have no emissions test. Last I looked certain areas of Spokane don't have an emissions test.

Here's another suggestion, go to your local SoCal AAA office and join up. You can do all of your DMV paperwork through them without wasting half of your day standing in line.
My current '69 Dodge Dart project was an eBay buy brought in to California almost 4 years ago. All I needed to do was fill out a couple of forms and get the VIN verified by a police officer. Your local PD may or may not do this. Mine wouldn't, but my wife's nephew is in the Long Beach PD so he signed it off. I took the completed paperwork back to AAA, paid the fees and was done. The only visual inspection my Dart ever got was VIN verification.
I don't know what your license fees were like in Illinois, but be prepared for California.

True. But what they don't know cant hurt you.:-$ LOL

Even new buggys have to be CARB compliant. That don't mean they are though. They don't check or care. It is about money not the enviornment. Hell they don't even know what there looking at most of the time.

They may want to to a vin verification to make sure the car is not stolen but other than that all they want to see is money.

Actually there is a law that is not enforced that states if anything on the vehicle is changed out of factory original the DMV in California is required to know about it and that they have a form to add the aftermarket part.

So even if you put new rims on the car they should be informed about it. Dumb law but it gives the police "Probable Cause" to pull you over if they want.

Moved out of California 3 years ago and got a Raise due to not paying the High Did I say High I mean HIGH registration and Insurance for my vehicles.

Good luck and Enjoy I miss SoCal but don't miss the B.S. that the DMV gives you.

I bought my 73 Duster in 2005. It hadn't been registered since 1993 (or earlier) and DMV had no record of it. I only had to bring the car to DMV, fill out some paperwork and then have the clerk come out and inspect the VIN plate on the dash and door. That was it. Then they registered it without issue.

This was DMV in Fremont, CA. Fremont is known to be tough on hot rodders. The Duster has a non-smog legal intake manifold, carb and air cleaner. They never even asked me to pop the hood.

Sure thing. Once you get that done all they will do is send you the renual in the mail and all you have to do is send it back with a check.

they usually will leave you be,new cars are a different story,they will ask to look at your engine and any mods can be refered to the smog ref. that being said,how would ANY police officer have a clue whats legal or not?don't pop the hood.](*,)

i live here right in the san fransisco bay area....i think the cutoff is 75 ...but anyways, ive registered a few cars in those years, they never check and usually don't know what they were looking at if they were looking at it...they're not gonna check vin numbers and compare engine numbers.....go ahead, install ur new hemi into a 60's, or early 70's car. they're not gonna check for smog equipment. and i don't think it matters anyway because those year cars or trucks are smog exempt and don't need smog equipment.. lol Ive never had a problem...

-
Back