Movin' to the Barrio..

-

ramcharger

Dismember
Reaction score
Found a kick *** house to rent with a 3 car garage for a good price. Problem is, it's in a pretty crappy 'hood. I used live in worse in Chicago, but I'm wondering If I should hold out for something in a nicer neighborhood.

The guy who owns it is willing to go way out of his way to make this house what I need too, so that's a big factor too. This is what he's doing:

Adding 220 to the garage with an additional 40 amps for 110
Insulating and sheet rocking the garage ceiling
Adding security lighting in the yard and outside the garage
Putting in recycled asphalt in front of the garage to eliminate the 2" step
Privacy fence the entire back yard for the dog
Fix the front cyclone fence
Add security front storm door to the house
refinish the floors
add the blinds of my choice
all new paint
new stove and and stand up freezer in basement
Refinish the room of my choice in the basement for a workout room.

Sounds like a good deal if I can sleep at night. I figure it would help the neighborhood, help this guy (he's in a wheelchair) and give me a place to recover from my last failed relationship, lol!

Good id hate for some idiot to steal a nice mopar and take it for a cruise and wreck it or worse! a chop shop

I was going to ask the same question as Slanted but I didn't want you to think I was going to buy it out from under you. The only place in Denver that I can think that isn't that safe is maybe in the Montbello area. It seems there are always a few good people that end up in bad neighborhoods though and the addition of an upstanding citizen like yourself would be nice for your neighbors.

My gut instinct says to stay away.

If the neighborhood is that bad, then I wouldn't feel secure unless I had closed circuit security cameras monitoring the property.

I lived in a bad neighborhood in Wilkes-Barre, PA....had a crack house right next door...nobody bothered anything, you could not even lock the garage cause the door was falling off....then I moved to the "good" side of town..in the first week my truck was broken into, then a few weeks later they broke into my garage (and this one locked) and took most of what was there, tools, fishin gear,,,then about a week later after I resecured the place they hit it again for what they left behind. I think when I lived on the "bad side" everybody figured I didn't have anything worth takin'.....
The other point is that in order for a neighborhood to rebound good people have to invest in it....good luck with whatever you decide.

Dave

Here in Denver? What part??

I was going to ask the same question as Slanted but I didn't want you to think I was going to buy it out from under you. The only place in Denver that I can think that isn't that safe is maybe in the Montbello area. It seems there are always a few good people that end up in bad neighborhoods though and the addition of an upstanding citizen like yourself would be nice for your neighbors.

Federal and Mississippi area. The entire alley is completely tagged from front to back (I did some alley cruising after checking out the place). The 7/11 on Federal had some bums hanging out in back. All the doors on this block are security doors. Lots of gang looking kids hanging around. On the upside, the park that's a block away had a bunch of kids playing soccer and lot's of teenagers running and working out in their high school colors. I'd still rather live there than Montbello though..... Thanks for the complement Richie.

Thrash,

I could rig up a server with camera's on a UPS so it would work even if the power was cut. I could even set it up so I could log in and scan the perimeter and check on the dog, lol!

Dave,

I've been told that most of the bad element usually don't mess around with people's stuff in thier own neighborhood, they go cruising for goods somwhere else. Sorry to hear of your troubles. Hopefully everything was insured.

Joe

I used too live just south of there...Federal and Evans. We never had anything stolen...but yes, it can be a rough area.

I used too live just south of there...Federal and Evans. We never had anything stolen...but yes, it can be a rough area.

That's good to hear Slant (that you never had anything stolen). This particular area 14 years ago really wasn't bad at all, but then again I had just moved from Chicago and the entire Denver area looked like a country park to me. I think I've gotten spoiled. :)

Glad to here the good new ramcharger.:rock:
When and if you do move in let me know.
I would like to see you and your stuff stay safe.:thumbrig:

Something tells me you can handle a bad hood just fine.:rambo:
Keep me updated, I may be able to help with some security toy's:thumbup:

Good luck with the new place, Ramcharger.

Sounds like it's just about right. It has what you need for both your car/truck and your buddy. Seems that the owner is a stand-up guy(no pun intended). Anyone willing to do that many upgrades must think that you're a worthy tenant. That goes a long way to making you feel comfortable in your new place.

Any ya know that having a dog greatly reduces the possibility of anyone coming onto your property.

Sounds like it's just about right. It has what you need for both your car/truck and your buddy. Seems that the owner is a stand-up guy(no pun intended). Anyone willing to do that many upgrades must think that you're a worthy tenant. That goes a long way to making you feel comfortable in your new place.

Any ya know that having a dog greatly reduces the possibility of anyone coming onto your property.

YEP!!! This is a 220 lb outside eyes for me and the other is the little sharp ears for inside.
My brother next door had a young boy walk down my road one night to see his 15 year old girl at 11pm and did not make it past my place,
I put the pig spot light on him and told him he don't need to be at this end of the dead end road this time of night. Poor kid hollered back and said don't let him loose I am going back home:toothy10::toothy10:

LIFE 238.jpg

LIFE 1422.jpg

Glad to here the good new ramcharger.:rock:
When and if you do move in let me know.
I would like to see you and your stuff stay safe.:thumbrig:

Something tells me you can handle a bad hood just fine.:rambo:
Keep me updated, I may be able to help with some security toy's:thumbup:

I'll keep you updated Mike!

Thanks comoxian!

I'll make a decision this weekend. You're right about the dog. I wish she had opposable thumbs, I could teach her to shoot lol! Either that or get this dog:

worlds-strongest-dog.jpg

That's a real picture. The dog has a genetic defect. If he was mine, I'd name him Arnold. :)

Sounds like the landlord is overwhelmed to get a tenant that will pay the rent, and not destroy the place. He's willing to do a lot for you, to make it safe and secure, but all the video cameras and window bars in Denver won't make up for your stolen belongings and lost sense of security. It sounds like a good deal, and hopefully it will work out for you. Good luck, Tim.

By the way, you may ask him to go around and get rid of any skunks in the hood. :-D

He's willing to do a lot for you, to make it safe and secure, but all the video cameras and window bars in Denver won't make up for your stolen belongings and lost sense of security. It sounds like a good deal, and hopefully it will work out for you. Good luck, Tim.

By the way, you may ask him to go around and get rid of any skunks in the hood. :-D

I agree. Tool and parts theives and vandals are what I'm really worried about. That would totally suck.

Pretty sure there are no skunks there, lol!

Hey Joe
A friend of mine moved into a shaddy neighborhood and the first thing he did was find the local kids and paid them to watch his stuff and offered reward for info about thieves, never lost anything in five yrs there.
Bruce

I'm inclined to say go for it. The way I see it, if I'm running cars with headers or opersting air tools, I'd rather be in a so-so neighborhood than in a good one where the neighbors will be bitching about noise...parts cars....visiting friends in Musclecars or on bikes... radio playing in the garage at 2:00 am....

Get some more opinions from people whom live there. You might become a popular guy with the modified cars. Might make a friend or two, or at worst, earn some respect because of your hobby.

That could be worth more than security cameras....

-
Back