Movin' to the Barrio..

-
I'll keep you updated Mike!

Thanks comoxian!

I'll make a decision this weekend. You're right about the dog. I wish she had opposable thumbs, I could teach her to shoot lol! Either that or get this dog:
Damn! Canine steroids!

Find a roommate who works an opposite shift of yours and then you can watch each others stuff 24/7

I'm inclined to say go for it. The way I see it, if I'm running cars with headers or opersting air tools, I'd rather be in a so-so neighborhood than in a good one where the neighbors will be bitching about noise...parts cars....visiting friends in Musclecars or on bikes... radio playing in the garage at 2:00 am....

Get some more opinions from people whom live there. You might become a popular guy with the modified cars. Might make a friend or two, or at worst, earn some respect because of your hobby.

That could be worth more than security cameras....

oh youve been to my neighborhood lol. Yeah i,m the scourge around here.

LOL...there ARE skunks in that area...and racoons too

****!!! lol!

Hey Joe
A friend of mine moved into a shaddy neighborhood and the first thing he did was find the local kids and paid them to watch his stuff and offered reward for info about thieves, never lost anything in five yrs there.
Bruce

Not a bad idea but I'll need to feel the locals out. I don't want to end up in a extortion situation.

Peace...through superior firepower.

Problem is, I can't be there all the time. See pic below. :-D

I'm inclined to say go for it. The way I see it, if I'm running cars with headers or opersting air tools, I'd rather be in a so-so neighborhood than in a good one where the neighbors will be bitching about noise...parts cars....visiting friends in Musclecars or on bikes... radio playing in the garage at 2:00 am....

Get some more opinions from people whom live there. You might become a popular guy with the modified cars. Might make a friend or two, or at worst, earn some respect because of your hobby.

That could be worth more than security cameras....

I sure as hell wouldn't last 30 days in Highlands Ranch with, as you say, air tools, breaking in cams, loud cars, friends cruising in on bikes, radio blasting, etc. One guys got a couple cars in his backyard hidden under never mowed grass. I think it's an old Toranado. People are still people no matter what and I figure I can and do get along with just about anyone I want to get along with.

I think your right John. Be the guy with the jumper cables or sound advice when they need it most. Pull a few people out of the snow in the winter with the RC. That stuff's fun for me anyhow.

And of course here's another dog that might help, lol!

army_dog.jpg

I lived in a "CRAP Hood" for 10 years. I slowly became"The Guy" to "GO to" for auto repair on the extremely cheap. Having no overhead and such. I used to listen to the gun shots at night and then the cops sirens. Never had a problem with the local hoods. They allways asked if I wanted drugs or a gun, but just told them I didn't need anything extra, thanks. I'll just fix the hoods cars. They just laffed and became customers.

Find a roommate who works an opposite shift of yours and then you can watch each others stuff 24/7

I absolutely cannot live with another dude, not gonna happen. Last time I had a roomate I was 20 and we almost killed each other.

Maybe I could handle a really clean ugly chick, ROTF! That way I wouldn't get jealous if she was getting laid and I wasn't, lol!

I lived in a "CRAP Hood" for 10 years. I slowly became"The Guy" to "GO to" for auto repair on the extremely cheap. Having no overhead and such. I used to listen to the gun shots at night and then the cops sirens. Never had a problem with the local hoods. They allways asked if I wanted drugs or a gun, but just told them I didn't need anything extra, thanks. I'll just fix the hoods cars. They just laffed and became customers.

I hear ya and that thought has crossed my mind too. Make a few bucks on the side and get some respect/trust.

RC, It got to a point where I'd come home from an overnight shift, open my mailbox and find keys with writin instructions. "Heres my car, it's Mary ***, please do brakes and fix that squeak if you can, thanks, see you after work."

Most in the box at once, 3 sets of keys.

Fav. line, How come you charge so little and that other place charges $75 an axle?

I have always lived in the south and never any further out. I just don't see how you and others can live in a big city or a hood with all the loud people and vehicles. I would have shot the hell out of someone by now. I guess I could adapt but when you said you might not be able to sleep at night...geez I know I would loose my cool!

It really is a admiration that I have for folks like yourself that can handle it. LOL!

RC, It got to a point where I'd come home from an overnight shift, open my mailbox and find keys with writin instructions. "Heres my car, it's Mary ***, please do brakes and fix that squeak if you can, thanks, see you after work."

Most in the box at once, 3 sets of keys.

Fav. line, How come you charge so little and that other place charges $75 an axle?

Lol! Nothing better than a few extra bucks.

I have always lived in the south and never any further out. I just don't see how you and others can live in a big city or a hood with all the loud people and vehicles. I would have shot the hell out of someone by now. I guess I could adapt but when you said you might not be able to sleep at night...geez I know I would loose my cool!

It really is a admiration that I have for folks like yourself that can handle it. LOL!

You get used to the noise, not such a big deal really. I would prefer to live in the country but there's no single women, no work and people get in your business in this neck of the woods. I had 42 acres down in southern colorado years back and got into a huge legal fight with one woman (who was on her 5th or 6th husband) just trying to get my driveway in. She used everyone's easment to access her property but Lord forbid anyone use her easment to access their property. I'm sure it's not so bad out by you. I'd need to get married and be independently wealthy to live in the country out here.

Yeah, the not sleeping well until I get used to the normal sounds of the neighborhood will happen. Probably just take a week though. I'll be making plenty of noise on my own too :)

Since you are renting the situation is different than mine. When I was looking for a house to buy..I was concerned with the neighborhood.

I can fix my house up....but the cops might get suspicious if all my neighbors keep disappering.:-D

Ultimately I ended up in a "normal" neighborhood. Guys with bikes and hot rods, the occasional Saturday night burnout on the side street.

All in all...pretty cool :cheers:

Since you are renting the situation is different than mine. When I was looking for a house to buy..I was concerned with the neighborhood.

I can fix my house up....but the cops might get suspicious if all my neighbors keep disappering.:-D

Ultimately I ended up in a "normal" neighborhood. Guys with bikes and hot rods, the occasional Saturday night burnout on the side street.

All in all...pretty cool :cheers:

Yeah, we found a house like that but the woman didn't like it. It was 19 grand cheaper than the one I'm in now. It had a two car attached and a two detached. Could've been sweet but she thought the house was haunted. Gimme a freakin' break. I should've split right then and there.

That's a Hound of the Baskerville's
The weirdest part about it is that it's real. Looks like something out of a Frank Frazetta painting.

Hopefully, Amy & me will be house-hunting next spring/summer. My biggest concern for a house? 2 car garage;minimum. 2 bathrooms....2-3 bedrooms....fenced-in yard for the dog..... driveway that will park at least 4 cars deep.

I don't care if we're next door to a cemetery. I already know I'm going to be "the neighbor" that the others will talk about. Therefor, I plan on buying a snow blower and a riding mower. Treat `em right, and they're hearts & minds will follow. :-D

Besides, don't knock lower-income areas with less than socially acceptable inhabitants. People are people. You should see how many wealthy, successusful assholes I deal with at my dealership....

Pretty much, lol! The guys at work and I were joking that if I found a 6 car garage with a lift and a shower I'd be set.

I saw a TV special recently about people buying real estate (not so much for the house but) for the garages. Seems to be en vouge now.

That dog must be in pain!

Hopefully, Amy & me will be house-hunting next spring/summer. My biggest concern for a house? 2 car garage;minimum. 2 bathrooms....2-3 bedrooms....fenced-in yard for the dog..... driveway that will park at least 4 cars deep.

I don't care if we're next door to a cemetery. I already know I'm going to be "the neighbor" that the others will talk about. Therefor, I plan on buying a snow blower and a riding mower. Treat `em right, and they're hearts & minds will follow. :-D

Besides, don't knock lower-income areas with less than socially acceptable inhabitants. People are people. You should see how many wealthy, successusful assholes I deal with at my dealership....

Good luck on the house hunt. Sounds like I found what you're looking for, lol.
I don't care if I live next door to a cemetery either, although I'm hoping my Duster when it's competed will wake the dead. :snakeman:

I said the same thing earlier John, People are people. I had **** growing up so it's not that big a deal. The last thing I'd do is look down my nose at anyone. I clean up well, but I'm not truly socially acceptable lol! And yes, wealthy successful assholes abound. Walking the dog today some woman walking her Bichon Friese said "Oh...It looks like your mutt is mostly Rottwieler" :bootysha:....Nice..... I should of let Maxi eat her dog. Maxi's a good judge of character as she never really liked the X either.

BTW, I like the snowblower idea.

I saw a TV special recently about people buying real estate (not so much for the house but) for the garages. Seems to be en vouge now.

That dog must be in pain!

Oh man, I better scoop this house up quick, lol! I'm guessing that these people are the checkerboard and red cabinet type? LOL!

That dog doesn't look all that bummed out. :) I wonder if he does well with the girl dogs? LOL!

Hey Ramcharger, It's Montgetto, not Montbello. Spend the money and put a gps tracker in your car. Nowdays they have systems the let you track your car and can actually shut of the ignition. "Linelock" it at night. My 70 RR I had back in the day had a hidden reed switch inline with the points to coil wire inside and if I didn't place a magnet on it it wouldn't start.
American Collector Insurance has mine insured for 10 K as long as it's garage kept.....................$96.00 / year.

Buy the way, are you going on the cruise tomorrow up to Echo Lake? Mom's in town so Pam and I are taking her for the ride in the mountains.
Jim

Awe, C`mon! You wondering if ALL of his muscles are as over developed as his appearance? :-D
You are a sick, sick man, LOL! I was thinking since was so "buff" he's have his pick of bitches, lol!

Hey Ramcharger, It's Montgetto, not Montbello. Spend the money and put a gps tracker in your car. Nowdays they have systems the let you track your car and can actually shut of the ignition. "Linelock" it at night. My 70 RR I had back in the day had a hidden reed switch inline with the points to coil wire inside and if I didn't place a magnet on it it wouldn't start.
American Collector Insurance has mine insured for 10 K as long as it's garage kept.....................$96.00 / year.

Buy the way, are you going on the cruise tomorrow up to Echo Lake? Mom's in town so Pam and I are taking her for the ride in the mountains.
Jim

Thanks MVR,

I'll have to remember "Montghetto", lol!

The Ramcharger doesn't have a lot of value money wise but man would it suck if it got ripped off. I'll look into that insurance company and thanks for the tip. I like the reed switch idea! The Duster is non-running at this time so it would have to be towed if someone was going to steal it. I think I'm just more worried about someone stealing my tools and parts I've gathered. I've had tools stolen before and it sucks. I hope there's special place in hell for tool theives.

I didn't know about the cruise and thanks for the info. I won't be making it as I'm installing a new cam in the RC this weekend. Lost a lobe on the original cam last week, ARRRGGGGHHH! I hope you and Pam have fun and get some pictures. By next year I should have the RC painted so I'll have something to cruise in until the the duster is done.:cheers:

Big elevation change up to Echo Lake, no problems with your carburated car? Just curious.

Take it easy Jim and have a great weekend!

Them bitches don't care bout the muscles.....

just the "lipstick":axe:

Ramcharger, i read em all, i mean the post and this has inspired me to voice and share with all some of my vast wisdom. Sounds good already don't it?. About the neighborhood. Before you move in or commit to the rental of the place take your dog over in the area and take him for a walk and just simply shoot the bull with the locals you meet as you pass them on the street. Talk fishing, cars, favorite beer. You get my drift and see whats out there. Talk to the young kids, 10 to 16 and by all means shake their hand when you introduce yourself and if they are small or short ,which ever fits, squat down so as to be on their level. Compliment them on an issue of maybe their appearance. Just look ,you'll find something that is worthy of discussion. I've thought about getting involved in the Big Brother program in my area so as to help the younger people out that might otherwise become one of the ornery type we all dislike. We have in our area a program called "CASA", Court Appointed Special Advocate, to assist the courts as a mediator for young kids that are in the court system because of an abuse situation or foster program. This is a good thing but as for now i have had to opt out because the courts say you cannot get attached. If i can't put my heart in it i'm of virtually no use. I get in whole hog with money, time and all other rescorces. I have been blessed in many ways and i feel much of this has come because i have never felt that i am better than you and am always willing to help when i can no matter how small the help my seem. It may only be GOOD advice. I would like nothing more than to have a young guy or gal that would show a little interest in a mopar to help out in the shop and so as to show my gratitude and to help put a kid on the right track i'd let em pick out a car in the "Field of Dreams" and drag it in and help em fix it up and get her on the road. That's just how i am. Keep an eye out for needs such as in the winter time i always notice a kid in need of a coat. He won't need one long if i see it. If you see a need and don't have the funds, get hold of me and we'll take car of that problem. Ramcharger, there maybe SOMEONE placing you in that situation for a reason. You never know what impact you are going to have on someones life wheather it be for the good or bad. That's the decission you'll have to make. Listen to the song "Takin It To The Streets" Doobie Brothers.
I've found in the right situation a BBQ grill and a pack of hot dogs around a bunch of kids in the front yard can go along ways in finding more allies than a man could ever want. I'm with Fastback on this one. The landlord seems like he's wanting a good renter and is willing to do his part. I think you will work out ok in that situation when you use your wisdom. By the way, that's a greyhound on steroids. Hope i have helped. Just remember, you're one of the good guys looking for more good guys.

-
Back