Moving across the country, tips on transporting my vehicles and parts?

-

MopaR&D

Nerd Member
Reaction score
I just got back today from interviewing in-person at a company in Georgia (I currently live in Colorado) and I'll most likely take the job if the offer is what I'm looking for. However I have to figure out how to get my 3 vehicles and all my engines and parts transported out there. What do you think is the best way to go about that? Fortunately all my vehicles run and drive. I have my '70 Duster, '72 Dodge pickup and '00 Buick Park Ave. For those I could technically tow the Duster on a trailer with the truck but that's a pretty long way to go, I think the truck would be up to the task but not me LOL. The Buick I'd probably drive out early on with my smaller bare essentials and my cat (pet animal cat, not catalytic converter hahaha).

Then I have all my parts; many boxes of smaller odds and ends like some brake parts, suspension parts, fasteners, engine accessories, electrical but also 2 complete engines (5.7 Hemi and in-progress 440 build), 2 transmissions (one BB 727 and one AX-15 out of a Jeep XJ with the transfer case), an 8 3/4" housing, bare 318 block, 318 crankshaft... In addition to that my interior house stuff like my bed, furniture, desk, clothes etc typical stuff you move from one house to another.

For any of you with a similar stockpile of vehicles and parts who moved cross-country, what was your plan of attack? Also if anything didn't work out as planned, what would you have done differently? I'm fairly certain this company will offer relocation assistance and if so would obviously open up more options that I otherwise might not be able to afford. I also wouldn't necessarily need or want to get ALL of my stuff in one go.

What about one of the companies that drop a box at your place, you fill it, they ship it. Spitballen

All comes down to how much time and space you have. If you can travel back and forth and drive each once, that would work. Or get some buddies or family to drive with. Otherwise higher a hauler. You can get price breaks for hauling multiple cars from and to the same spot together.

Engines and heavy stuff, I rented a 26' uhaul. I've done a few major moves over 1,000 miles in the past decade. Both myself and family. Shipping cars is the best thing ever because you don't need to worry about a trailer, security, logistics, etc.

My last big personal move I shipped two vehicles, and towed one behind the big uhaul. Wasn't terrible and all told cost under $3k with all the rental, gas and shipping costs. But that was 5 years ago.

What about one of the companies that drop a box at your place, you fill it, they ship it. Spitballen

I used an abf relocube a few times and they're not bad. Costly though. The other company that offers that is stupid expensive every time I've quoted it. Last time I priced it, it was 4x the cost of week rental for a 26' truck one way leaving CA. I think it was over $4k.

The people I've known who used them though said it was great.

Got room to park at your final destination to park an enclosed trailer with all your parts?

They work nice for a temp garage and you don't have to unload it. Just pull it in, park it and then go to work at your new job.

No Worries

That's a good question. Maybe get some friends to drive the vehicles and fly back? Can one of them tow a trailer with all your stuff?

Where in Georgia?

I'd drive the truck and animals first run...
I'd rent a U-Haul truck and car trailer and put the duster on it... Fill U-Haul with the crap...
Last trip easy comfortable car...

I just got back today from interviewing in-person at a company in Georgia (I currently live in Colorado) and I'll most likely take the job if the offer is what I'm looking for. However I have to figure out how to get my 3 vehicles and all my engines and parts transported out there. What do you think is the best way to go about that? Fortunately all my vehicles run and drive. I have my '70 Duster, '72 Dodge pickup and '00 Buick Park Ave. For those I could technically tow the Duster on a trailer with the truck but that's a pretty long way to go, I think the truck would be up to the task but not me LOL. The Buick I'd probably drive out early on with my smaller bare essentials and my cat (pet animal cat, not catalytic converter hahaha).

Then I have all my parts; many boxes of smaller odds and ends like some brake parts, suspension parts, fasteners, engine accessories, electrical but also 2 complete engines (5.7 Hemi and in-progress 440 build), 2 transmissions (one BB 727 and one AX-15 out of a Jeep XJ with the transfer case), an 8 3/4" housing, bare 318 block, 318 crankshaft... In addition to that my interior house stuff like my bed, furniture, desk, clothes etc typical stuff you move from one house to another.

For any of you with a similar stockpile of vehicles and parts who moved cross-country, what was your plan of attack? Also if anything didn't work out as planned, what would you have done differently? I'm fairly certain this company will offer relocation assistance and if so would obviously open up more options that I otherwise might not be able to afford. I also wouldn't necessarily need or want to get ALL of my stuff in one go.
I'm in California and considering a move to Arizona or Tennessee. My plan is to rent or buy a shipping container for the parts and hire a transport company for the cars. I have two non running cars but the rest of them do run and drive. I'd rather not drive across country in a 4.10 gear Power Wagon or the other uncivilized ratty cars!

I moved 3 years ago from Miami, Florida to East Texas and I had 3 cars, and a ton of tools, 3 dogs, one bird, a huge tool box, and tons of miscellaneous parts. Before the "big move" I took my wife's SUV and put a trailer hitch on it. I borrowed (you can rent one) a 10 or 12 foot trailer (can't remeber) and I took all my tools, compressor, auto parts, and any other stuff that I could fit in it, basically all the stuff in the garage, plus some outdoor furniture. I left that at the new house, and drove back. I then rented two 26 foot U-haul trucks to move everything else out of the house, and two car trailers to move two of the cars . I drove one of the U-Haul trucks with one car on it, and one of the three guys I had hired to help me move, drove the other truck with another car. I have 3 dogs and a bird. So, one dog per truck, one bird on one of the trucks, and my wife drove her SUV with the other dog. It was a mission and a TON of work, but I saved a TON of money on paying a moving company, and paying for companies to move my cars.

I have moved out of California back to Oklahoma 3 weeks ago. First, I had accepted a job to the Fort Worth, TX area in October of 2021. Human Resources messed up and I un-accepted the job but not before I had moved my 'cuda and Arthur's Duster to my Dad's house in Oklahoma. So, I had one car out here.
FF to Oct. 2022, I accepted a job in Oklahoma just 30 minutes from my hometown (where my 'cuda and Duster already is). I searched every option from U-haul trucks, sea containers, U-pack It, Pods, ABF, .... The cheapest option was a horse trailer. I moved my entire house and car parts in a 3-horse/ living quarters horse trailer using my Dad's Cummins Ram. I had a California friend who had, coincidentally, bought another 3-horse/ living quarters trailer from my Dad Last November haul my '76 D100 out to Oklahoma on a U-haul dolly with shop equipment in the bed since he was unloaded going out to pick up his new trailer.
When it came time for our final move, my Dad came out to California with his trailer and we loaded up 2 days after Christmas. My wife and I have twin Jetta TDI Sportwagens. Wife's got loaded with a dog, a cat, 12 chickens, 2 snakes, 1 aquarium, and 2 spiders. Mine got loaded with my guns and any overflow that wouldn't fit in the trailer.
Previously, I have moved from San Diego to Mississippi back in 2003. We were childless then and towed a 73 Duster on a dolly behind a 1999 GMC Yukon with all our possessions inside. In 2010, with one child, my wife moved from Mississippi back to San Diego with the ABF U-Pack It boxes. In 2017 (2 children now), we moved from San Diego to Oklahoma in the horsetrailer method and back to San Diego in 2018 using the horsetrailer method. While in San Diego from 2018-2022 I had gained 3 Mopars in addition to my '70 'cuda and many more tools and parts so this last move was the biggest yet.
So, that's my resume for moving. As you can see I have moved across country several times. I recommend that you tow your Duster with the Dodge and load the bed with your tools and heavy items. Load your Duster with household items that are light and that you don't need for everyday life. Drive that out ahead of time and find a FABO member or a friend from your faith community to store it on their secure property in the general vicinity of your new job. Get rid of any big items that can easily be replaced like a mattress, furniture, washer/dryer. If you can sell that stuff you can find cheap new or used items later. Example: you can get a mattress in a box shipped to you for under $200 but they take up so much space.
Next, final move, rent a U-haul van and dolly. I had the resources at my disposal to move with private equipment and if you know anyone with time and equipment it would be worth it to pay them for fuel and time to haul your stuff out in an enclosed trailer. I thought I was going to need a U-haul and a dolly but we got everything in the horse trailer. From California to Oklahoma was going to be ~ $4,000 (+ fuel). That was motivation to leave things behind and donate or give away some items and make the horsetrailer work.
Fuel in a Cummins (14-16 mpg) from Oklahoma-California-Oklahoma was $1000. The trip with the D100 to Oklahoma was $500 because I didn't pay for fuel for my friend to bring his trailer back to CA but I did buy him a $260 spare wheel/tire so that trip was $750. I would expect you to see similar fuel bills of $500 to $700 one-way. Again, if you can get out of renting a U-haul and pay someone with a diesel and enclosed trailer you can save around $2000. Go to the dragracer community in your area. It's winter and they aren't running and using their racecar trailers. That would be a good idea for a transport.
In my opinion, the services like U-haul, ABF, and Pods take advantage of people who have absolutely no resources at their disposal or are for people who have no problem throwing 1000 dollar bills away. If you can muster your own resources it will save you thousands.

Co to GA is a piece of cake, my Daughter lives in Pueblo. It takes 2 days and bypass any large city. We moved a lot as kids, I went to 4 different high schools. First thing to get straight is people steal and break stuff. Anything of value, sentimental or money, you should move yourself. When my wife and I moved from MD to SC we already had our house for years, she was not ready to retire. I brought two 1956 Chrysler 354 hemis, a 1956 Desoto 330 Hemi, five 273s, three 340s, a 383, and a 440, 7 transmissions and all kinds of A body parts and my tools. We rented multiple large U-Haul trucks, one for just the tools and car parts, then rented cars to go back to MD and repeat the process all over again. We hired a high school kid in MD to help load, and a set of high school twins to unload in SC. It worked very well and nothing got broken or damaged including the furniture. Go through everything and get rid of stuff you don't love or think you won't have room for in GA. We donated a lot of clothing and furniture to Salvation Army and thrift stores in MD, and then again in SC when things did not fit. I'd try and drive your own vehicles, if you can, rather than transporting them. Make a fun "road trip" out of the experience. We drove a 66 Barracuda, 67 Barracuda, 96 ACR neon, 2012 Charger R/T, 2001 Jeep Cherokee down. Listen to audio books to help the time go by, and try and have one nice meal a day.

Awesome, haven't read thoroughly through all the responses but just wanted to reply, lots of good stuff. One thing, I would potentially drive the truck but definitely not the Duster, that will get towed or transported. 3.55 gears not great for long highway drives, it's loud, worth a lot (at least to me) and I have mileage limitations due to having Hagerty classic car insurance on it.

@RustyRatRod it would be at Textron Specialized Vehicles in Augusta

Tow your Duster on a trailer with your pickup. It's 1600ish miles any way you go and the only way to avoid toll roads is thru Nebraska. That's a 2 day adventure that would probably be fun. Carry as many tools as you can in the back of the truck on that trip but be mindful of thieves when you stop to spend the night somewhere. If you own a gun and plan to carry it on any of the trips, it would be best to avoid the short stretch thru Southern Illinois if possible. Their gun laws are :realcrazy:. Taking the southern route thru Oklahoma and paying the tolls would be the lesser of those 2 evils. If the company offers you moving assistance, put all of your parts and stuff on pallets and let them move that. Good luck on the job and make the move a fun adventure.

I'm helping a buddy move from Edmonton back here. He has a few toys and 2 vehicles to bring back.
1 way rental from uhaul on a carhauler and a uhaul truck. The uhaul truck will pull the carhauler with car on it and I'll drive the 2nd vehicle.
That way all the wear and tear of towing falls on the uhaul truck. Breakdown?? 1-800-fixit lol.
Airplane tickets are cheap one way. I was actually surprised how cheap the car hauler was on a one way rent. Approx $300 Cdn for over 3000kms and a weeks rental.
Congrats on new job, good luck!

If you come through Oklahoma you can stay at the place I’m remodeling. It’s safe, in the country, just off I-40 about 30 minutes east of Oklahoma City. I’m 10 hours from Denver. 25, 70, 35, to 40.

@MopaR&D similar offer depending on your route, you end up heading South on 49 down to GA. you got a place to stay. We are right by Fayetteville Arkansas.We are right off of 49 and got plenty of farm to park anything you need. Pool table bar and guest lodging in the shop. We might be rednecks but we don’t suffer much!

I'm helping a buddy move from Edmonton back here. He has a few toys and 2 vehicles to bring back.
1 way rental from uhaul on a carhauler and a uhaul truck. The uhaul truck will pull the carhauler with car on it and I'll drive the 2nd vehicle.
That way all the wear and tear of towing falls on the uhaul truck. Breakdown?? 1-800-fixit lol.
Airplane tickets are cheap one way. I was actually surprised how cheap the car hauler was on a one way rent. Approx $300 Cdn for over 3000kms and a weeks rental.
Congrats on new job, good luck!

I hate flying, but absolutely agree about towing the Duster behind the U-Haul. In January I'd be taking the southern route. Also see posts 19 and 20 as a bonus to visit with friends and safe lodging.

-
Back