MP 284/528 BB cam: Tell me your experiences

-

Kern Dog

Build your car to handle.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
It seems that this cam has a decent reputation. Andy Finkbiener has made references to it in his book as well as magazine articles. A google search turns up some good reviews too. I understand that it is old tech but it seems to be a decent, proven design. I'm looking to pull the big Lunati out of my 493 and slip this 528 in there to get better street manners. I've read dyno sheets of similar engines and it looks like this cam is big on torque with a decent idle quality.
My car is street driven, not raced at the dragstrip. I am into cornering and am considering some autocross fun in the future. The 3500-7000 operating range of the Lunati just wasn't right for me.
Who has run the 528 in their big block, stock stroke or larger? I'd like to get your opinions just to know what you all think. Thanks, Greg

My 284/484 "031" MP cam worked great in my 340, the 284 wasnt bad on the street at all, never had an idle issue, just a strong idle at 750. The .528 with that same duration must be a pretty fast lift rate, I dont think a 493 is going to miss any low end....

Greg, up front, i haven't personally used one before.......Those numbers with your stroke tell me that it will perform very mildly in that engine, which looks to be what you're going for.

The reason I posted is, not knowing exactly what Lunati you're switching from, and what your current compression ratio is, I just wanted you to consider that cylinder pressure will more then likely increase will the "smaller" cam.

I just don't want you to get into a situation where pump gas could become a issue?

Good luck! It should be a real torque monster...:thumbrig:

Last year in an effort to reduce detonation in my 10.94 CR 493, I pulled the 509 cam and installed this Lunati. I was hoping it would help. It didn't, so I pulled the heads and had them ported, then slipped in thicker head gaskets.
Currently my CR is at 10.07 to one. My cranking PSI was at 160 with the Lunati installed as stated on the card. It is the 316/326 solid. 261/271* @ .050 INT/EXH, .556/.578 lift after deducting lash. 108 LSA first installed at 106. The low speed response felt soft so I advanced it 4 more degrees to 102. Cranking PSI went to 165. NO knock or ping as is when using 91 octane.
The 528 cam has a 72 degree intake closing. The Lunati was 71.5 when installed at the 106 centerline. The 102 setting makes it at 69.5, right? Half the degrees I advanced?
The wider LSA is supposed to reduce the risk of detonation from what I have read. The 528 has a 112 LSA, installed at 110. It also has 241-243 degrees of duration @ .050 depending on who you trust. I have 1.6 rocker arms so the 528 lift raises to 563 minus the .028/.032 lash. Figure a net of around .533. There is no risk of piston to valve contact. I had almost .250 with the higher lift Lunati.

I know that most Mopar guys are into drag racing and I respect that. Currently my car is flat out fast in a straight line at WOT. The converter flashes to around 3000 and if I were to ever hook up, it might actually be scary fast! I grew up having fun turning corners and that really stuck with me. I have HD suspension pieces and big, wide tires for sticking to the road. Road-race type driving has lots of up and down rpms as you enter and exit turns. A cam with a power range in the idle to 5800 rpms range is just what I need.

Kern, the smaller 110 vs. the 112 or 114 should be blessing off compression.

What is the rest of the engine combination? The .528 is a great cam, but it is not that large. You have a bit more engine, which will lower the power curve further and may cause issues with too much cylinder pressure. I think you are making a good choice provided the rest of the combo can live with the added pressure, and you lose the convertor if you plan to do more road type racing.

Yeah, its me!
I have this screen name on Yellow Bullet so I changed my screen names here, on FBBO and DC.com. I still use FrankenDuster at Moparts though.

I ran it in my old 440 and have it in the current one as well. It' s a mild mannered 500hp cam if matched up with the right combo. make low to mid 500's in torque.

10.50:1 comp. eddy rpm heads, eddy perf rpm or victor, 2" or 2.125" headers, 850-950 hp series carb, 1" hvh SS spacer. MSD. 18-20 initial. 34-36 total timing.

-
Back