MP .557 cam specs

-

JBurch

Reaction score
Since MP doesn't give duration at .050 numbers, it's hard to make a comparison to the rest of the world; any body put an MP .557 on a cam doctor? What are the numbers?

Thanks.

Herb McCandless mapped all of them at some point. He discovered that no matter what given he used whether it was .750, .777 or .850, they never came up where Mopar said they did. He also discovered they were all "smaller" in duration that what Mopar advertised.

My opinion on this has always been Mopar used a different way to measure, and never really told the 100% truth about how they did it. I believe they did that for proprietary reasons.

A lot of people don't like the MP cams, but I am a big fan. Always have been. Here's the way I see them. If you go by the Mopar Performance engine "recipes", ANY of those engines you build for ANY of the classes they specify, will do EXACTLY what Mopar says it will, as long as you also follow their chassis and weight recommendations as well.

I guess what it boils down to is, specs don't really matter as long as you build it like they say, it will do what they say. I always thought the ambiguity of it all was kinda cool myself. Adds to the mystique. lol Chevy never had stuff that cool

252 @ .050 is what i got with the 3 557 cams that i have used and degreed in, and checked the duration on.

This article by Keith Dunnuck has the specs for the 557 cam (3rd page), as well as a dyno comparison....enjoy.

[ame]http://www.hughesengines.com/Upload/TechArticles/Fading_Color_Article.pdf[/ame]

-
Back