MP purple camshaft

-
If I do go with the MP 509 how streetable would it be? What head would compliment this cam and what other parts would I need? Will I be ok with stock rockers or do I need to upgrade? If so what would you recomend? I have a fresh machined block, $5000, and the original parts from the 440. I'd like to use the stock crank and rods to save some $. I guess what I'm asking is where is my money best spent?

The first questions I'd ask are is it a forged crank or cast and the rods should be fine. Also what's your budget, this will determine what heads you can afford all the way back to whether you'll need an expensive clutch.

Its a cast crank. I was told it was good to 600 hp. My budget is about 5k. I'm thinking about using ported eddy rpm heads. If I use the comp cams 538/534 that was mentioned could I use the springs that come on the assembled head or should I buy bare heads and build them up? What rockers should I get? Or can I get away with stock rockers?

Its a cast crank. I was told it was good to 600 hp. My budget is about 5k. I'm thinking about using ported eddy rpm heads. If I use the comp cams 538/534 that was mentioned could I use the springs that come on the assembled head or should I buy bare heads and build them up? What rockers should I get? Or can I get away with stock rockers?

With any amount of "high lift" I'd forget about the stamped steel stock rockers and plan on going with either hughes, comp cam or crane roller rockers (3-500$). Problem I'm seeing is that you're kind of approaching this build in the middle of the formula. You said earlier you'd be using KB (there are better) pistons but being that this sounds like an old low compression 440 you may have to have the decks done to get your compression ratio up to the 10 to 10.5 range. I'd see if you can interest "moper" into helping ya out and start from the beginning, ground up so to speak. Failing that I'd give Dave at Hughes Engines a call and get his opinion, my experience with the low comp./motorhome 440's is limited but there seems to be a pile of them coming available lately. Good Luck

Replace the springs that Comp Cams suggests and get their roller lifters and rockers...you will also need to get their 3 bolt roller setup for their roller cam rolller chain sprocket....

Comp Cam part number 23-710-9.....538/.534

I did some research and I dont think I can afford this cam. By the time I buy the cam, chain, lifters, rockers, ect, I'll be into it over a 1k. Any suggestions on something more basic? I intend to get stealth heads from 440source and get them ported. If I can use the springs that come with the heads and the stock rockers I'd like to. If I need to upgrade thats fine too. I will have a forged crank and will be running the kb237. 3.55 rear gears and an overdrive 4 speed.
The comp cam that was suggested has a basic operating range from 2600-6000. The MP 509 starts at 1800. Will that be to high to be streetable? How high can my lower operating range be and be streetable?

I have a NEW in the box Mopar 509 Cam and Tapper set for $125 plus shipping.

i've got a new in box mopar .557 big block purple shaft cam and lifters. i ended up going with a bullet .690 roller cam shaft

the 509 is good ONLY if you have 3000 stall and/or 4.30 or bigger gears.
it is a light switch 3000 up.

the solid mp.528 is way broader power band wise and streetable yet still revs 7000rpm

unless you are ready to commit to big gears and or convertor..you will be passed by small blocks.

the 509 is good ONLY if you have 3000 stall and/or 4.30 or bigger gears.
it is a light switch 3000 up.

the solid mp.528 is way broader power band wise and streetable yet still revs 7000rpm

unless you are ready to commit to big gears and or convertor..you will be passed by small blocks.

Summit shows the rpm operating rang on the 509 2600-6000. for the 528 they have 2, one from 2400-6600 and one from 2800-7000. Wouldn't these be about the same? School me up.

it's the amount of overlap 76* for the .509 and 60* for the .528
the .509 bleeds off massive amounts of cylinder pressure.
The original .509 will eat up/bleed off 40psi easily.
the old .509 is straight up an old bracket cam, the .528 is a max wedge replacement cam 'meant to see the street yet compete at the strip'.
.528 pulls almost 10 inches of vac, in a big block 12 or so iches of vac, pretty friendly but will buzz up over 6500 and make a nice flatish torque curve, power everywhere.

when you say there are two mp.528 cams, you mean one for big block and one for small block.
the added cubes of the bb will make the cam seem smaller which is why you get 2400 6600rpm advertised as opposed to the sb netting 28-6900

I keep forgetting they make a revised version, probably the one you guys r talking about.
mp-dcc5007698AB is the only .509 version [64* o lap] that would work decent on the street without 4.30+ gears, but no less than 3.91 and 2800 stall.jmo

Honestly...if all you have is 3.55 and a wide spread od tranny...you need a smaller cam 'that still has a broad torque curve', no more than 56-58* o lap

didn't mean to throw a wrench in the gears just wanted to make sure you knew this.

Your last 2 posts are very good. Well said.

I have also exp. the sb 292/.509 cam and agree on it's description preety much. The faster the ramp rate and higher the duration, the more light switchy it becomes.

Your right, the other one was for small block, I should've caught that. If I go with this cam will the stock rockers hold up? Will the springs that come on the stealth heads be ok?

I have no idea what springs are on the Stealth heads and some of the reading I've done trashs the springs on the Stealth.

On my 360, I used stock OE pushrods and rockers with an issue.

Purple shafts are designed to make power with original chrysler cylinder heads.
You have to match the heads flow to the camshaft first.:read2:
Then pick your duration based on the rpm band that's going to work the best for your combination\\\ gears \ convertor \ compression \ weight of vehicle.
Purple shafts work no differant then any other camshaft.
I always here all this hype about other cam companys cam profiles.

does anyone really have the info to make all the statments about purple shafts or any other cam for that matter true???

What are the specs for all the cams that get talked about in these cam wars anyways????

How about giving the info for one of the biggest arguments given.

FAST RATE??? HOW MANY CRANK DEGREES PASS FROM THE INTAKE VALVE OPENING POINT, TO MAX LIFT ON A GIVEN CAMSHAFT DESIGN.
THE AMOUNT OF DEGEES WILL GIVE YOU THE RATE(SPEED).

This is the info you need to have for a camshaft comparison.

P.S.
It's like fighting over who the better team was, at the end of the game, but no one cares to find out what the final score was.

Camshafts, when done right, are based on the cylinder heads flow.
The specs might suprize you and help you make a good choice for a camshaft.

Camshafts, when done right, are based on the cylinder heads flow.

And a few other things, but in all, your right. However, in the very general convo.................

I really like my Hughes cam in my 440 Coronet. Super torque. I would use their cams again.

Call them and give you application, they will recommend a cam.

Anyone interested on the NEW in the box Mopar 508 Cam and Tapper set for $125 plus shipping.

New cam design/"smu" cam design..blah blah...

I have had much experience with Mopar cams. The 484 and 509 are still made and used because...:::GASP::: THEY WORK!!

Now here is where people make the mistake with them. They will put either a 484 or 509 into something like a stock 8:1 400 with 2.76 gears and a stock converter and then complain about how it's a dog...They don't work so well with power brakes either LOL..

If you have the compression, the gears, and the converter; you will haul @ss!!

People can keep searching for the magic cams all they want, I will stick with what works.

Wow. Some of yall need some ejumakatun about the MP cam lineup. Here are some facts. First off, the MP cam linup is NOT 30 or 40 year old technology. ALL of the "old" numbers were discontinued in the mid 80s and the "new" numbers were reintroduced in the mid to late 80s. That's right. they were all redegisned to take advantage of the .904 lifter diameter. This fact is written in black and white right in the ninth edition of the Mopar Engine manual. Fact number two. "Fast" lift rates aren't always a good thing. It is possible to open the exhaust valve too early, resulting in exhaust gasses being drawn back into the cylinder and contaminating the next power stroke. Not a good thing. Larry Shepard and the boys weren't stupid on the original MP cams design and they weren't stupid on the 1980s redesign. The MP cam lineup are some of the flat out BEST cams available for the Mopar engines, bar none. These are not opinions. They are facts backed up by dyno numbers AND real world performance figures. All you have to do is pick up a Mopar engine book and READ. It's all there. Fact number three. Comp cams camshafts are NOT the best camshaft for the .904 lifter diameter. Want proof? Just look through the Comp cam online catalog. If you think they are the best, then answer this question. Why do all the Chevy, Ford and every other make cam Comp offers all have the EXACT same lobe centers and duration figures? All comp makes are cookie cutter cams. They choose some decent grinds that work well for most everything, but offer nothing that works BEST for any one make engine. The only way to get a camshaft CUSTOM made for the Mopar's .904 lifter from Comp is to order a custom grind. PERIOD. They don't offer one off the shelf. Mopar Performance, on the other hand, DOES! Sorry to bust any bubbles, but these are the FACTS, and they are backed up in black and white in both the Comp and Mopar Performance Catalogs.

Comp cams IMO is mostly hype...

The right MP purple with the right setup runs real good. This comes from going down that road and doing it!!

-
Back