MP Super Commando Heads

-

MR4V

Reaction score
Hi All
I have come across a set of MP Super Commando heads, part number P5153850. I have google and search FABO and have found very little information on these.

These heads have 2.08 inlet valves and they use off set rocker, .350 I think, some info mentioned a inlet manifold that is only suited for these heads, is this correct?

Can anyone shed some light on these?

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

The head appears to me to be the Edelbrock head Mopar has re branded. Ryan Johnson at Shadey Dell Machine Shop would be a good source for info.

I have these on my Dart....You may want to call me if you're seriously considering these (for all the nuances and things i ran into)

Here is my thread from years ago before I was a vendor.
super commando LP Rockers?

Thanks Johnny Pace, that was one of the treads I read in my search.

I have these on my Dart....You may want to call me if you're seriously considering these (for all the nuances and things i ran into)

Bit hard to call as I'm in Australia.
Getting good LA heads here is not easy, I've been looking for 2 years for a set of W2's with no luck.
These came up and the price was more than right......the rockers seam to be the issue(which would explain the price of the heads).
Your thread was started in 2012, did you solve the rocker problem? Mopar have the rockers listed and a set is $600.00USD plus shipping to Oz.

Yes! Rebranded and modified Edelbrock heads. Hughesengines has the offset rockers needed for this head. Excellent potential. Same as the "Big Mouth" heads from Hughesengines.

Flow numbers page: #1---Head Flow Charts & Comparisons

Thanks Rumblefish360.
$775 for rockers, glad I got the heads cheap.

Let me talk to my friend with the T/A rockers. I may be able to get him to sell. And if they are the correct offset, it would be a damn bit cheaper for you that what hughes wants.

And you'd have to clue me in on the exchange rate!!!!!

Let me talk to my friend with the T/A rockers. I may be able to get him to sell. And if they are the correct offset, it would be a damn bit cheaper for you that what hughes wants.

And you'd have to clue me in on the exchange rate!!!!!

Exchange rate is easy to work out. Anything I've purchased of FABO I've used PayPal and paid the fees.

$775?!?!

Wow, that was a heck of an increase since I got mine! Like Double!

Exchange rate is easy to work out. Anything I've purchased of FABO I've used PayPal and paid the fees.

My bad...I forgot to ask him last night. I will talk to my friend tonite and see if maybe he will part with the rockers. That stuff is so hard to get its hard to let it go when you get it.

I bought a pair of these heads but one head came missing 4 valve springs. Anyone knows whats is the part number for these valve springs?

Does Indy still sell their TA head?

Hello Rob, honestly I don't know, I bought one head from Moparts (this is the head that has valve spring missing) and another one from Mancini. Now I will start a porting work on these heads. I'm pretty excited for results since I get a 2.70 of cross section.

Oh nice! Well, I suggest you scrap the valve spring in favor of a matched set for the cam you intend to use. Below is what I did at home.
Remove the valve springs on the bench. Take note of the two springs in front of the head. The smaller one the head came with and the larger one I replaced it with.

Line up the valves to the side in order of the way they came out.
Grab a valve seat cutter and enlarge the spring seats if need be.
I suggest a valve spring height mic to measure the spring height. I used matching retainers and locks for the spring and valves. Valve spring compressor tool is an AR engineering unit sold at Mancini Racing. Valve spring shims maybe needed. I bought a pack of 90 from PAC that has 4 different thickness to cover the bases. This particular head needed 1, .050 under each spring to make the exact valve height.

831F2B89-C9CB-4514-9E35-DC5D84D86801.jpeg
82DF3590-1193-4098-BFC8-65344315148E.jpeg
785A174B-69CB-4B04-B486-84DA2C4A62E4.jpeg
5511F4BD-4B5B-45C3-BF86-CF3588C71E8D.jpeg

Last edited:
steel valve spring cups especially if using a flat dampner
looks nice
have seals in hand before you cut guides too small- ask me how I know
Isky is my go to for shims

With the new TF heads finally available......I wonder how the cost/flow between heads like these and the TF’s is going to compare.

TF’s at 300cfm........ and no time invested in porting, no offset rockers, no special intake manifold....... under $2100.

Yes Johnny!!! Exactly the same head!
Let me give some words of wisdom to possibly save you some headaches.
1. make sure your heads are truly identical. valve sizes, runners, etc. Every mopar book lists a different size valves etc, even under this PN...so i hope they didn't make revisions as they went. mine matched, but i bought them at the same place.
2. new valve springs as suggested above. Springs were surprisingly cheap for these. they must cross to a GM lol.
3. if you're going on a 4.030 bore, prepare for LOTS of porting. These are really only made for an R block. They flow worst on a 4.030 bore in stock form than a stock edelbrock RPM head does. TONS of valve shrouding. you may be more of an expert on hand porting that i was, but i had to defer to the experts on the porting...they flowed awful as cast on a 4.030.
4.rockers do not exist for these on the open market to my knowledge. no off the shelf combo of T/A...or W2, or XYZ whatever rockers fit these. i had to have a set custom made by harland sharp. maybe TD or hughes makes them now...but you won't find them in a Jegs or summit catalog.
5. I made 610 on the engine dyno, if your goals are that ballpark...i would have looked into the new TFS, or even ported elelbrocks for alot less $ than i had in these. Hopefully you got them for a song.

I started typing this hours ago and got sidetracked. apologies if anything i'm saying above has already been covered.

LMK if i can help in any way.

With the new TF heads finally available......I wonder how the cost/flow between heads like these and the TF’s is going to compare.

TF’s at 300cfm........ and no time invested in porting, no offset rockers, no special intake manifold....... under $2100.
The masses would CRY (or laugh) lol, if they knew what i had in these heads to get them to tickle 295....those TFS are WORLDS past these in the HP per $ comparison. Unless maybe on a 4.125 bore

I, for one, appreciate the blunt honesty of your posts about your experience with the heads.

What bore are you running them on?
Flow numbers on that bore?
Intake valve size they came with?
Are you using that size valve?
Do they come with 11/32 or 5/16 stem valves?
Do they use 5/16 or 3/8 rocker hold down bolts?

Never had a set in my shop, but from what I read it sounds like they are similar/the same as the Indy T/A heads.
Those use 5/16 stem valves and 3/8 rocker hold down bolts(according to the catalog).

My prediction is that the TF SB Mopar head will have a bigger impact on the SB market than the BB head had, since there are less similar options for SB’s....... and there’s a bigger gap between what they offer for the $$$ vs the competition.

I predict it won’t be long at all before someone has a set making 600hp, right ootb, on a pretty basic 408/416.

Last edited:
-
Back