MP509 Purple Shaft

-

Bad Sport

HALF A BUBBLE OFF
Staff member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
I know this has been discussed before, but I figure it's winter and I'm bored.

I know there are better grinds out there, but this is specifically about the 509.

With that said, with this cam in an otherwise stock 318;
What could be expected from it?
Are there drawbacks?
Is the lift too much for the stock valvetrain?

Specs on the cam are:

Lift .509
Duration 280
Overlap 68
Centerline 106

Just curious what the thoughts are.

no go on the stock valve train /thats alot of cam you will need a lot of compression ,convertor and gear

I know this has been discussed before, but I figure it's winter and I'm bored.

I know there are better grinds out there, but this is specifically about the 509.

With that said, with this cam in an otherwise stock 318;
What could be expected from it?
Are there drawbacks?
Is the lift too much for the stock valvetrain?

Specs on the cam are:

Lift .509
Duration 280
Overlap 68
Centerline 106

Just curious what the thoughts are.

A complete and total waste of time to shove that stick in a stock 318. Also, it is a 248* @ 050 IIRC grind and a 292 advertised. Not 280* Advertised.

Install it @ a 10-1 ratio at a min. with a decent amount of converter (IMO 3500) and a high rear gear (IMO, 4.10 at a min.) and have fun.

The purple sticks are older designs more geared towards the track than street.

This is and has been a known for quit some time.

Also, it is a 248* @ 050 IIRC grind and a 292 advertised. Not 280* Advertised.

Says 280* on the spec sheet with it. I picked it up in a trade, I guess it will be for sale.

It's was in an engine for a hot second, so it looks like new, along with the lifters.

mopar 509 has an advertise duration of 292....and 248 @.050

best way to make a 318 even slower is to over cam it...

If it's the .509 SOLID oval track cam, those specs are right on the mark. Either .509 grind is too much for a stock engine. Will it physically work? You bet....and I've actually done it before. I used the .509 hyd. I had a customer years ago with a jacked up 4X4 W150......bout a 85 model I guess. Anyway, he wanted it to sound nasty. He said he never used the 4X4 that he got it for the look. It was an otherwise stock 318 with headers, an edelbrock performer and an earlier Thermoquad I had installed some years before the cam change. When I got done, it sounded like a nasty *** *****....and it actually had more bottom end than I figured, but you could tell it was pretty lacking. He loved it though, because man that old truck sure did sound good.....and yes, the stock valve train while not the best for a bigger cam will work. That's what I used and it didn't even need longer pushrods.

If it's the .509 SOLID oval track cam

Yup, that's what it is. I didn't figure I could use it, but you never know till you ask.

It'll probably be for sale if anyone is in need of it. It's in very good shape.

My friend had that cam in a stock bottom end 318 with ootb eddy heads, torker2 intake. 650 dp. 3800 coverter in a 67 belvy 3600 lb an ran 8.30s with 430 gear. 1/8th mile.

That is seriously tuning your combo.That took a while,or he has been more than a few times!

He drove it to school with a 323 gear and it ran like a pig out the gate. It went 820s with 513 gear. Yeah a little carb tweaking but not alot. It spun a bearing so he put the set up on a dish piston 360 decked .050 and it went 780s with 486 gear

Says 280* on the spec sheet with it. I picked it up in a trade, I guess it will be for sale.

It's was in an engine for a hot second, so it looks like new, along with the lifters.

Use it with a 1.6 rocker and milled/ported heads, add gear like above.

That cam is like a light switch...its on, or its off. above 4000RPM = on, below 4000RPM = OFF! I put one in my 318 back in the mid 90's...it made it a dog around town, and it only ran o.k. at the track. My 360 handled that cam better, but it had higher compression and a looser converter...but it was still like a light switch, on/off. Many better cams out there, IMO.

That cam is like a light switch...its on, or its off. above 4000RPM = on, below 4000RPM = OFF! -------- but it was still like a light switch, on/off. Many better cams out there, IMO.

Agreed. In my 360, it was like a 3200 or so and on cam.

Depending on what I was doing, I'd use it. Street/stop light bandit or lite drag, it's a go.

-
Back