mpg single vs super six

-

kielbasavw

Reaction score
I've searched and read, seems to be mixed reviews, and wishy washy people. I want to know, a correctly built stock motor, and correctly tuned and adjusted Carb. Which one helps with mpg?

On a vw, you can get A LOT better milage from larger dual Carb setup. I'm curious with sixes

Lots of things to factor in here. The 2bbl is going to require less throttle to get you to the same point as the 1bbl.But,if you have your foot in it all the time the 2bbl has the ability to get worse mileage. Same car,same motor,in the same state of tune,with all other factors being the same,and a good conservative driving style you will get the best mpg with a 1bbl.Will it be a big spread? I think not,maybe 1-2 mpg.

Where did you research? slantsix.org has some very good articles on mpg.

comparing these 2 accurately will be difficult -- due to the age/condition factors of the items.

I do not believe there would be much difference between a 1 bbl v 2 bbl if all other factors are the same.
a 2 bbl would be more fun,
to get max mpg -- a lot of careful work must be done to maximize the mpg.
distributor (timing curve)
condition of the carb
exhaust
gears
manual vs auto
These are just a few factors involved & very general .
good luck in your quest , Lawrence

when i switched from a holley 1920 1bbl to a carter bbd 2bbl, i noticed no difference in fuel mileage. both were/are well tuned and run great. i did see an improvement in fuel mileage when i switched plugs to the ngk zfr5n.

when i switched from a holley 1920 1bbl to a carter bbd 2bbl, i noticed no difference in fuel mileage. both were/are well tuned and run great. i did see an improvement in fuel mileage when i switched plugs to the ngk zfr5n.

How much improvement with mileage did you notice with those plugs? I might have to look for some of those. Thanks!

Staged Weber two barrel carburetor (like the one on a Ford Ranger) tuned properly for the motor might just out MPG the stock single barrel, if you trained your left foot to stay out of the secondary. In addition to running the "right" plugs, adapting a GM 4 pin HEI module to the Mopar mag pulse distributor will help, but it would help the single barrel also.

Of course, if you are trying to maximize your fuel mileage you are going to want to run a lazy rear axle ratio and overdrive, add in a large primary exhaust (2 1/4" head pipe and muffler), and have the distributor set up like the one on a Feather Duster.

Or you could just buy the Feather Duster.

I've done a ton of research on this and have had both 1bbl's and 2bbl's. My opinion is the 1bbl is capable of getting better mileage than the 2bbl but it's hit and miss. I'd say people average 18-20mpg with a 2bbl and 16-22mpg with a 1bbl. There just seems to be a wider variance with the 1bbl. I prefer my 2bbl setup. I always get 20-22mpg no matter what. It's quicker, doesn't take nearly as long to get up to speed on the freeway and it's just more fun to drive.

A 1 3/8" primary Thermoquad will probably get better mileage on the primaries than a standard Super Six carburetor. It might even beat out the one barrel. Plus you'll have the ability to make mileage really suck and have a lot more power when you want.

This is going to be one of them threads where its 50/50 lol Heres mine if the car has a 1bbl im going to leave it that way ... The same thing with the 2 bbl .. good luck bud

Staged Weber two barrel carburetor (like the one on a Ford Ranger) tuned properly for the motor might just out MPG the stock single barrel, if you trained your left foot to stay out of the secondary.

He must deliver mail… LOL

is the primary barrel on the 2bbl smaller, larger or the same size as the 1bbl carb?
it will get the same mileage if it is the same size, better if it is smaller and worse if it is larger, that is if you keep your foot out of the secondary

-
Back