Mr. Fixit.....

-
My parents have three rental homes (I play handyman). Last year one of the tenants called and said the garage door wouldn't go down (I had replaced the opener not long before and reused the old sensors). I looked this problem up on the internet. Sure enough, the most common cause was the issue, sunlight hitting the receiver at just the right time of day, BUT the tenant had already swapped them side to side, but they weren't aligned well...

Same tenant called a week ago. Porch light wasn't working with a brand new bulb (weird two-pin LED). He didn't realize that modern porch lights have a light sensor and won't come on until it's dark outside...

I had a carter return spring fail on my 57 Ford. I was coming home from Camp Pendleton so I still had boot bands on my trousers. I took one off used it as a carb return spring. for some reason, that original linkage on that 57 312 with an automatic will stay WOT without a return spring!

This is more of an "ataboy" though I didn't get any recognition. On the job talking to a workmate. I had an armful of scrap metal when I noticed the local parts store delivery truck rolling down the hill this place was built on and headed right toward the propane filling station that skirts a busy highway. It is all paved and has terraced walls.
I dropped all of my metal and ran to the Ford Ranger and opened the passenger door, dove inside and depressed the brake with my hand. Thank goodness the truck was running. Laid about a foot of rubber while stopping. I cant imagine what would have happened if I had not done that or what may have happened if the truck was not running to assist in the braking.

This is more of an "ataboy" though I didn't get any recognition. On the job talking to a workmate. I had an armful of scrap metal when I noticed the local parts store delivery truck rolling down the hill this place was built on and headed right toward the propane filling station that skirts a busy highway. It is all paved and has terraced walls.
I dropped all of my metal and ran to the Ford Ranger and opened the passenger door, dove inside and depressed the brake with my hand. Thank goodness the truck was running. Laid about a foot of rubber while stopping. I cant imagine what would have happened if I had not done that or what may have happened if the truck was not running to assist in the braking.
had a somewhat similar experience a few years ago

we were at church after service shooting the breeze and one of the guys had turned his truck on to let it warm up
one of his kids was playing in the truck as kids do
he was in the front, in the back, jumping up at down, probably 3 years old or so

at one point the kid made his way back to the front seat, and started jumping again
he had one hand on the steering wheel and the other hand on the gear selector

sure enough, at one point he jumped up, and on the way down managed to slam the truck in gear
the truck, still running, lunged forward and started off towards the church building

luckily the front windows was down and i happened to be close enough by i could dive into the cab through the drivers door and slam her in park before it hit anything

now, if you can get a hold of Paul Harvey, you might hear the rest of the story, but thats where i end, on a high note

Here is one I'll brag about but credit has to go to my friend John who helped me restore my car. (He passed away this January , severe diabetic complications). It make a very tedious job very easy and works fantastic! Use a srynge with a semigloss paint and lay down the black lines with it going slowly. Make sure the part you are doing is level. and let the paint dry. I did my grill shells, taillight housings, upper and lower trunk trim , my Hood Inserts and my formula S badges using this method. Worked flawlessly!!

View attachment 1715912260

View attachment 1715912261

View attachment 1715912262
Man, your Friend was an Artist. You do great work too! Beautiful! I'm gonna steal that.

had a somewhat similar experience a few years ago

we were at church after service shooting the breeze and one of the guys had turned his truck on to let it warm up
one of his kids was playing in the truck as kids do
he was in the front, in the back, jumping up at down, probably 3 years old or so

at one point the kid made his way back to the front seat, and started jumping again
he had one hand on the steering wheel and the other hand on the gear selector

sure enough, at one point he jumped up, and on the way down managed to slam the truck in gear
the truck, still running, lunged forward and started off towards the church building

luckily the front windows was down and i happened to be close enough by i could dive into the cab through the drivers door and slam her in park before it hit anything

now, if you can get a hold of Paul Harvey, you might hear the rest of the story, but thats where i end, on a high note
I've read many bad stories ending otherwise

Free bicycle.... put air in the tires and rode it in a marathon

:rolleyes:

Free pair of shoes.....put laces in them and ran in the Olympics.:D

That what a couple stories reminded me of. Lol
Hey, Brother, speaking for Myself, anything I say, or type, unless meant as humor, is Truth. Sometimes that's all we have. And I damn sure don't have time to make up stories that are BS. But, I Can write an Autobiography, and some, may call it fiction. It's been a long, strange ride...

Man, your Friend was an Artist. You do great work too! Beautiful! I'm gonna steal that.

On behalf of my friend John... Thanks IronRacer. He was very talented and taught me a lot about working on Mopars.

Got I nice "new to me" pressure washer free!
20220507_200455.jpg

It was offered to me with a "bad motor". It would run poorly for a few seconds only on cold start and then stall, each pull after the stall was real tight, almost to the point of breaking the pull rope.
I took it home, tried it out and sure enough just like he said it ran poorly for a few seconds. I also noticed it ran way to quite.
Pulled off the muffler, cleaned out a blockage of gunky carbon with a can of throttle body cleaner and put it back together.
Now it runs like a beast. I ran it all day long today cleaning the siding and it works great!

-
Back