MRL solid roller lifter question.

-

Steven190

Reaction score
Anyone know what Mike at MRL,was using for his solid roller lifters for the small block LA?
He has a part number of #2018-16.
I did a search and really found nothing for that number.

BAM lifters... I think Hughes still sells them. Almost $800 a set. Part # is 2018-16.

Thanks
He bet me to it also.
I just got done talking to Brad at BAM. Very helpful guy and interesting to talk with

What kind of damage will it cause if the lifter bores aren’t sleeved?

I have a 416 MRL solid roller engine that isn’t sleeved. Something I should be worried about?

upload_2019-6-11_19-13-6.jpeg

Yes, I have to pull my Bam lifters out.This is very common. The oil dumps oil the bottom of the lifter bore. I wished I bushed mine. MRL mike is not right about this. Trust me there is a post on this. I and putting in the Comp 828 solid body because I do not want to pull my motor and take it all apart.

MRL claimed that no mods had to be done to run those lifters including sleeving .

but I would think sleeving would be better for sure .

He also claimed some huge dyno numbers on his engines but I haven't seen any of them back up the numbers at the strip.

Bush your lifter bores it helps with oil control its a big plus to do this. I did a lot of research after I had this issue and wished I bushed them.

In my 408 the oils pressure runs around 60 at 2000 rpm, at idle it is 35 It is a none sleeved motor.
So far I have not had any issues with their lifters

Bush your lifter bores it helps with oil control its a big plus to do this. I did a lot of research after I had this issue and wished I bushed them.
Me too, but its too late now , have a hot idle , low oil pressure thing, but is good enough , just not what I`d like, good every where else in the rpm. Probly from the full time rocker oiling mod I did !

When I bought my motor is was 521hp on his dyno. I had a local speed shop go through it and they dynoed it at 482hp. Torque drop about 50 ft pounds too. Only thing I changed was a different Holley carb and distributor.

When I bought my motor is was 521hp on his dyno. I had a local speed shop go through it and they dynoed it at 482hp. Torque drop about 50 ft pounds too. Only thing I changed was a different Holley carb and distributor.
What were the parts used and changed out for?

When I bought the engine it only had dyno time on it. There was no carb or distributor in it. Far as I know it was a the dyno shops carb on it. The carb I put on it was a Holley 4779C which was rejetted, the distributor is a MSD 8388. Both carbs are 750cfm.

OK. Thanks. I was just wondering what Mike dyno’d the engine with and what you used.

Ignition can have a big play in final power. The carb has a little. Still, the shown gap between the two and the two parts that were changed only leaves the dyno, the operator and the correction factors of the machine.

37 hp & 50 lbs./tq is a lot. But (could be) understandable to a degree with the changes.

Most of his engines were in the neighborhood of 100 hp less than his bogus dyno numbers. Seemed like a nice guy, but grossly exaggerated numbers were the norm from him.

-
Back