mrstix 68 Valiant

-
Looks like you got lucky. I've seen valve covers actually blown off engines before! Make sure you check the covers and the oil pan closely, although from the pic it looks like the breather was the only projectile.

keep your mind in place. **** happens (all the time).

I think that you easily fix the hood. What really concerns me is the reason of the "backfire".

Think the hood can be fixed? If it can be fixed I want to have a 6 pack or hemi scoop put on it, and maybe have if painted flat black.

I'm not real sure what caused it either. Motor wasn't even trying fire, it was balls cold out and really humid as well. Thinking that maybe why it was being stubborn to fire. Timing should have been dead nuts on, has spark and fuel. Anything else I'm missing?

Looks like you got lucky. I've seen valve covers actually blown off engines before! Make sure you check the covers and the oil pan closely, although from the pic it looks like the breather was the only projectile.

Thanks for the advice, I'll check everything. The valve covers have to come off, at least the side with the breather, the fire extinguisher chemical got in there pretty good. Have to find a new breather too, the one I have is kinda more dome shaped than usual:)

Hope you can find out what caused the blow off, and get your hood fixed. (it looks fixable)

I don't know for sure that the fire retardant will cause any problems as long as it's just a dusting...just clean off as much as you can, and it should be fine. The hood is definitely fixable...just patience and time with some dollies and such.

Even if you're *sure* of the timing, recheck it and your plug wires...I've seen and done it enough times to know, it's worth double checking. I also ran into problems with a pertronix once before...I installed one on an old Bronco with a straight 6...it wouldn't fire at all after swapping out the module...and I don't clearly recall what "fixed" it, but I think it was something about properly setting the gap for the pickup...until then all it did was sputter...

Well got the valiant to fire last Saturday, with all the time I've spent trying to figure why it wasn't starting it turns out my timing was 180 degrees off. Felt like a complete goober for letting something so trivial get the better of me. Carb started to leak at the transfer tube as soon as it had fuel pressure so it was a short startup. Planning on having a few buddies over to do an official startup and break in on Saturday. Still have to get the hood fixed, I bought a hammer and dolly and tried my hand at fixing the dent myself. It's not flat yet but I'm
sure I'll have it fixed soon. I'll post a video up of it running as soon as I can. I recently got a promotion at work so I don't have as much free time as I would like to work on the car. But the promotion was worth it. Couple pics the other day when I pushed the car out of the shop.

Man, I have been wondering when we were gonna hear from you again! Well, I'm glad you got it put back together and closer to running-and back on the forums

Well..... I couldn't be patient and wait to start it up. Started and broke it in today on my lunch break. Everything went really well, three small leaks to track down but other than that it's alive. I'm super excited to have it running after so much frustration and work. Now I have to work the kinks out and get it on the road. Here is a link to the YouTube vid. Enjoy!
[ame]http://youtu.be/3PNluAWeX7E[/ame]

Sweet!! Not gonna lie-pretty happy for ya

Thanks bro! I couldn't have done it without your help. Hopefully going to make it to a show and shine Sunday. Should have more pics and stuff tomorrow after wash and detail.

Got her out of the garage today. Had my two girls help me wash it, they had waited a long time to ride in the Valiant. After a couple laps through my neighborhood, small burnout included I picked up my wife from the house at which point the Valiant ran out of gas, go figure:)

Here's a couple pictures of my Valiant at the Mopar Nats in Woodburn this last weekend. Had a great time driving down and back getting the car on the road for the first time.

And last my dads 440 dart in the staging lanes with a front engine rail behind him.

I have that chrome that goes around your doors and 1/4 windows if you need it. Where the coil is is pretty close to the hood when closed and it may eventually arc to the hood causing a future issue. I would at least turn it sideways or get one without such a tall tower and put a 90* boot on it.

-
Back