mrstix 68 Valiant

-
nice to see the progress. I may be doing the same swap on one of mine. i have a 69 2 door, and a 68 4 door that have slants, and a fresh 360 needing a home. i have to find a 904 tranny before i even think about starting the project and which one valiant i want to use.lol
car1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG][/IMG]

or the 69
69valiantsized2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Tough choice:) I like the 69, since its a two door car it's got the cool factor going for it. Maybe you could use the 4 door as a nice little sleeper or cruiser. They both look really straight. Thanks for sharing, can't get enough of the Valiant body style myself.

The 727 and the 318 are now one!!! Got em put together today and on the k member with some help from one of my girls.
null-37.jpg

null-36.jpg

Now it's all sitting on a rolling pair of home made engine carts. Working pretty good too. Rolls really well. Just want to get the headers on and a few more odds and ends sorted out befor I slide it under the car.

the sleeper green paint is awesome. looks good in the sun

Thanks! Im digging the sleeper look more and more. Some part of me wants it to be a big bad ride but some part of me loves that it looks like a grandma car, straight out of the past.

...Im digging the sleeper look more and more. Some part of me wants it to be a big bad ride but some part of me loves that it looks like a grandma car, straight out of the past.

I bet once you get it running, you'll be happy with it just the way it is.

The motor is in. Got a bad line up issue with the motor mounts. Motor seems too be tilted trans down, can't get the cross member in. But none the less the motor and trans are home, and I'm feeling tired but accomplished.
null-39.jpg

Pretty rough day today. Planned on firing up the Valiant today for the first time. Spent almost all day tweeking all the loose ends and getting everything ready. Put break in oil in and realized that I hadn't put water in it yet. So we started filling the radiator up and water started to pour out from the front of the intake near the passenger side head. Thinking that water probably made it into the oil. Not how I wanted to end the day. Probably start tearing into it tomorrow to find out why it's leaking.

Only good thing to come out of this is my dad brought over my air cleaner. Looks pretty sweet with the 340 pie pan on it. Updates when I get em.
null-43.jpg

Dude-I just saw this, Looks great under the hood man! Sorry to hear you're having leakage issues with it. Anything new?

This green paint grows on me everytime I look at your car.... like moss. There was another 68 Signet posted recently the same color. I'm still trying to get my valiant painted... maybe this week or next

This green paint grows on me everytime I look at your car.... like moss. There was another 68 Signet posted recently the same color. I'm still trying to get my valiant painted... maybe this week or next

Thanks, the same happens to me too. Had it pulled out a bit the other day so I could see it in the light. Can't wait to see your car painted, I'm sure your anxious too:)
null_zps4d20eaf7.jpg

Anything new there stix?

Hey! Not much is new right now. I had to order new intake manifold gaskets cause mine where the wrong thickness. So the oil had water in it and I had to thrown it out. I'm a bit worried about water possibly making it too the cylinders, still not sure if it made it that far or not. Just waiting on parts and buttoning up stuff while I wait. Kinda bummed that I missed the summer cruse season, it's going to start raining here in the next couple weeks and getting a dry day to drive it will be few and far between.

Unless you poured 2 whole gallons into the crankcase, I doubt it got into the cylinders-water sinks in oil-pushes oil to the top...so, I wouldn't worry about that part too much. Just replace your gaskets and press. I, too, despise wasting money though...oil isn't getting any cheaper, and neither is glycol.

Thanks for the advice. Got my new/used coil last night from dad so I need to install that. Planning on also changing my valve cover gaskets cause one leaked a bit and I have fresh ones sitting. And I'm going to change one of my trans cooling lines cause one looks like crap and I have the time to change if. Been spending my Saturday nights at the track with dad working on ironing out his Dart. It still is running hotter than hell after just two passes. Probably a timing issue, it stumbled a bit on the line last night after the temp spiked, might be boiling his fuel. Anyway here's a video from last night.
[ame]http://youtu.be/WosBoR2zP1s[/ame]

Looks like a good time! What all's in your Dad's Dart? I know we're getting a little off topic here, but what's up with his overtemping? Did you guys already check the usual suspects?

Update time! Been gone for a while, job, family and some other stuff had my attention for a while. Been picking away at stuff on the Valiant here and there, when I get time. Finally got a chance to put the new intake manifold gaskets in and got the intake out pack on. Filled it with fluids and no leakage this time, got the chance to put some fresh cork valve cover gaskets in while it was apart. Also installed my hand me now msd coil. Today I got out and patched the exhaust up, it's a temp fix just to get down the road. While the exhaust isn't pretty it should hold up. Getting new exhaust after the winter season it over. Anyway, just have to get my new plug wires cut and crimped, oil poured in and a final check and its ready to run! Thinking sometime this week right before Christmas I'll be rolling down the road. Here are some quick pics enjoy:)

Got a few more odds and ends wrapped up in the midst of the Christmas chaos. Got all the stuff to crimp the Pertronix wires I picked up, took an hour or so to cut and crimp them to length. They look like spaghetti now, I lost the pack of wire seperators I bought so there just loose and hanging now. And speaking if Pertronix I spoiled myself and got there Ignitor 3 ignition system, nice not thinking about adjusting points and having rev limiter. The last thing I managed to get done was actually hooking the battery up and checking all the electrical stuff. Everything but the right tail light worked. Looks like I'm going to fire it up tomorrow afternoon, I'll post a video if everything turns out right.

Sad, frustrated and want to cry right now. Tried starting the valiant today, and it did not go well. Somehow it caught fire and had to be put out with an extinguisher. While nothing looks that bad my hood took the brunt of the damage, looks as if the valve cover breather blew off and hit the under side of the hood and now the hood is probally trash. Really want to throw the towel on this car. Here's some pictures.

Wow-I just now saw this! Sorry man, I was really looking forward to seeing something more gratifying than an underhood fire. Did you figure out yet what happened?

Don't give up man-I've been there before...fires scare the **** out of you, and that's definitely a weird one with the breather...

Wow-I just now saw this! Sorry man, I was really looking forward to seeing something more gratifying than an underhood fire. Did you figure out yet what happened?

Don't give up man-I've been there before...fires scare the **** out of you, and that's definitely a weird one with the breather...

Not how I wanted it too go either. It looks like gas loaded up and it caught at just the right second and all the pressure caused the breather to blow off. Hagerty is coming out next week to look at it, got coverage for stuff like that, might as well use it. Anyway as soon as I get word from them on what there planning to do I'm going get it started. Till then I'm just waiting and wishing I could be driving it.

keep your mind in place. **** happens (all the time).

I think that you easily fix the hood. What really concerns me is the reason of the "backfire".

-
Back