MSD-5C

-

moparlee

64 Valiant
Reaction score
Just got this one at the same time as the Silver Streaks...different side of the country though...LOL

Anybody have more information on them would be appreciative. Like wiring diagrams & what years where this style produced and what not.

Thanks.

5.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

Last edited:
EDIT-----------IGNORE THE ORIGINAL POST It may be that the 6C (which is CD) is DIFFERENT than the 5C and that the 5C MAY be inductive more like the original Mopar ECU See this page 35

https://documents.holley.com/catalog_wiring_diagrams.pdf

I DO NOT KNOW YET if this is correct but found one post that claimed that the 5C was a 'direct plug and play' for a Mopar box. If so it is DIFFERENT than a 6C (CD)

I have one. "Not quite" plug and play CDI for Mopar ECU There are other threads on here about them.

Don't know if the 5C/ 6C is the same, but the BIG ISSUE on any CD is that the COIL DOES NOT get power from the vehicle harness. The coil is ONLY connected to the BOX and actually, the coil NEG is actually grounded. So the ballast wiring to the coil must be removed and modified a bit

Thread on the 6C

MSD - 6C vintage box

6c-web-jpg.jpg

MSD5.jpg

Last edited:
Ok....
EDIT-----------IGNORE THE ORIGINAL POST It may be that the 6C (which is CD) is DIFFERENT than the 5C and that the 5C MAY be inductive more like the original Mopar ECU See this page 35

https://documents.holley.com/catalog_wiring_diagrams.pdf

I DO NOT KNOW YET if this is correct but found one post that claimed that the 5C was a 'direct plug and play' for a Mopar box. If so it is DIFFERENT than a 6C (CD)

View attachment 1715816778
Gotcha....thanks for the help. Which it still says that the ballast isn't really necessary for it to work...Hmmmmm

I have seen them never had any experience with them. Mid 70's ? I am thinking>

From that info(Holley) that was posted above

Ballast Resistors: If the vehicle has a ballast resistor or resistor wiring leading to the coil, leave it inline and connect the Red wire of the ignition before the resistor. If there are no resistors originally, the Blaster Ignition and MSD 5 do not require it. For aftermarket coils, use the coil manufacturer’s recommendations.

A good guy to ask would be Cab Burge on Moparts.com

He is well versed in this era of aftermarket ignition boxes from the early days.

Yes please refresh/ re-read my original post it is "heavily edited." Again, it appears the 5C and 6C are fundamentally different. It APPEARS the 5C is basically an MSD-5 which is similar to a Mopar ECU, and that a 6C is a CDI box

Found this from the Holley forum:

msd-5c

The MSD 5C was designed for direct plug in to a older model Chrysler ignition, it is similar in specs as the current MSD 5 Series Ignition PN 5200, which you can find in our website. We no longer have this style of connector, but you can obtain a wiring schematic if you call in to our tech dept. at 915-855-7123.
Thanks,
msdtech2

A good guy to ask would be Cab Burge on Moparts.com

He is well versed in this era of aftermarket ignition boxes from the early days.
Yeah I've talked with him quite a bit about stuff over the years....haven't really posted a lot in awhile there or with him as far as that goes.

Yes please refresh/ re-read my original post it is "heavily edited." Again, it appears the 5C and 6C are fundamentally different. It APPEARS the 5C is basically an MSD-5 which is similar to a Mopar ECU, and that a 6C is a CDI box

Found this from the Holley forum:

msd-5c

The MSD 5C was designed for direct plug in to a older model Chrysler ignition, it is similar in specs as the current MSD 5 Series Ignition PN 5200, which you can find in our website. We no longer have this style of connector, but you can obtain a wiring schematic if you call in to our tech dept. at 915-855-7123.
Thanks,
msdtech2
Thanks I just obtained a log in for that site like yesterday or the day before...LOL Again thanks for slamming me with help/information.

5 was prior to the Capacitive discharge feature of the 6. Even the stock Ford TFT ignition privided multiple spark under 2000 RPM.

The 5C is a CD ign, multi spark. If using an aftermarket coil the extra res supplied with the coil should be used [ 1979 MSD catalog ].

The 5C is a CD ign, multi spark. If using an aftermarket coil the extra res supplied with the coil should be used [ 1979 MSD catalog ].
Could we talk into posting pictures of the info in that catalog...please and thank you.

Last edited:
You can't download it? The one photo I posted is the MSD5. I don't believe there was anything in there specific to the C except for the mention of the two in a forum You might try calling MSD and see if they have info on the thing

@67Dart273 , the C designator in the MSD-5C may be for 'Chrysler' 5 pin as I picked up an MSD-7C from a swap meet (it may have had an MP part number on it too) and it too had a 5 pin connector. That was a cool piece, but I flipped it pretty quick as I didn't need the 7's features on a steeter. I still cant find a confirmation that the 5 series is capacitive disahcarge, I think it just offers multi spark. I know it lacks something the 6 series has.

@67Dart273 , the C designator in the MSD-5C may be for 'Chrysler' 5 pin as I picked up an MSD-7C from a swap meet (it may have had an MP part number on it too) and it too had a 5 pin connector. That was a cool piece, but I flipped it pretty quick as I didn't need the 7's features on a steeter. I still cant find a confirmation that the 5 series is capacitive disahcarge, I think it just offers multi spark. I know it lacks something the 6 series has.
Yeh I agree, what I meant is I don't think there is anything to it "as such." And the C does not have the points trigger option like the "5" did

@67Dart273 , the C designator in the MSD-5C may be for 'Chrysler' 5 pin as I picked up an MSD-7C from a swap meet (it may have had an MP part number on it too) and it too had a 5 pin connector. That was a cool piece, but I flipped it pretty quick as I didn't need the 7's features on a streeter. I still cant find a confirmation that the 5 series is capacitive discharge, I think it just offers multi spark. I know it lacks something the 6 series has.
This is why I'm asking if that old 79 MSD catalogue had more information in it that @Bewy has.

You can't download it? The one photo I posted is the MSD5. I don't believe there was anything in there specific to the C except for the mention of the two in a forum You might try calling MSD and see if they have info on the thing
Yes, sir....just trying to get all(info) I can is all.

Thanks again for everybody's input and help on this....I appreciate it a bunch.

I have a Direct Connection Racing Manual-bulletin from 75 and it talks about the 7C stuff but not the 5 stuff directly like it does with the 7C.

Yeh, pretty sure ANYTHING past "5" is a completely different deal. This 5 /5C seems to be a "switched" / inductive/ Kettering system just like the old Mopar box, while anything 6 or higher seems to be MSD meaning, "multi spark CD."

If you are unaware, CD discharges a large charged capacitor across the coil as a pulse, much like a camera photoflash, and there is NO 12V power on the coil. Coil NEG is grounded. You cannot hook a tach to a CD without special adapters or with some provision "in the box" for a tach output. If you move to CD (like an MSD 6 series) there must NOT by ANYthink connected to the coil except the two wires from the MSD box

Yeh, pretty sure ANYTHING past "5" is a completely different deal. This 5 /5C seems to be a "switched" / inductive/ Kettering system just like the old Mopar box, while anything 6 or higher seems to be MSD meaning, "multi spark CD."

If you are unaware, CD discharges a large charged capacitor across the coil as a pulse, much like a camera photoflash, and there is NO 12V power on the coil. Coil NEG is grounded. You cannot hook a tach to a CD without special adapters or with some provision "in the box" for a tach output. If you move to CD (like an MSD 6 series) there must NOT by ANYthink connected to the coil except the two wires from the MSD box
This box does have it's own tach output...if this matters or not.

Sorry I forgot to add that photo, I edited the first post with the extra photo.

-
Back