MSD 6al issues - bypass ballast resistor

-
Very good. Were you able to determine that it "likes" the same or opposite of the MSD diagram?

I had it connected as it was shown in the MSD digram - that is what made me think that it was not an issue. Turns out, it likes it the opposite way.

blue ignition 1 wire is powered key in run position, brown ignition 2 is powered key in start position. crimp together and use this to feed the msd 12 volts switched ignition feed. also make sure polarity for the magnetic pickup is correct if using oem dizzy. if polarity is reversed it will be hard to start and run poorly.
I am looking at all the different threads and this all makes a lot of sense. I have tried to look up all this info and it doesn't give me a definite answer of ign1 and ign 2. Yes I see a brown and a light blue on 1973 Dodge Dart. The blue has a yellow stripe and the brown has a white stripe. Are these the correct ones to connect together for my application?

image.jpeg

the two wires you are looking for are the brown and blue wires that are on the ballast resistor itself...not the wires going to the ECU...

take those wires off the ballast resistor...hook up a test light..have someone turn the key to start...one will light up....release the key to the run position...the other should light up and the 1st one goes dead....connect those two wires together....then run a new wire from the black-blue wire to the small red wire on the msd 6....that will turn the msd unit on and off.....

the two wires you are looking for are the brown and blue wires that are on the ballast resistor itself...not the wires going to the ECU...

take those wires off the ballast resistor...hook up a test light..have someone turn the key to start...one will light up....release the key to the run position...the other should light up and the 1st one goes dead....connect those two wires together....then run a new wire from the black-blue wire to the small red wire on the msd 6....that will turn the msd unit on and off.....
Ok now that makes sense. I am trying to do this while I have motor out. So there is no power to anything right now. Do you leave the Ecu plugged in after the MSD is hooked up? Thank you for responding so quickly.

Do you leave the Ecu plugged in after the MSD is hooked up? Thank you for responding so quickly.

No. You are better off carefully cutting the harness tape open and fishing the extra "stuff" for the ECU out of there. This includes the ECU, but if you are tricky you can splice into the original distributor pickup wires. If not strip them out of there.

Here's the "thing" about the brown bypass (IGN2) and the "run" (IGN1) normally dark blue. The whole deal is that the "run" goes dead when twisted to start. So the only power available for starting is the brown IGN2. This is done right in the ignition switch. Both those wires come out through the bulkhead connector

It is IMPORTANT to be careful hooking up the MSD......

ONLY the two MSD coil wires should be hooked to the coil, NOTHING else, not the tach, nor the radio suppression cap.

..just a question ... Why is it not o.k to connect the tach wire to the coil ?? I hooked the tach to my coil ( MSD Ready to run Distr. with blaster 2 coil )
Works good

Greetings Juergen

With a msd 6 or 7 hooking the tach wire to the coil is a no no...hook tack wire to connector on msd box...

..just a question ... Why is it not o.k to connect the tach wire to the coil ?? I hooked the tach to my coil ( MSD Ready to run Distr. with blaster 2 coil )
Works good

Greetings Juergen

The MSD "ready to run" is a conventional ignition, similar to points, Mopar breakerless, or pertronix, or GM HEI. That is, the trigger switches the coil NEG to ground, and the coil + is fed DC power from the electrical system.

MSD CDI (or any other CD) DOES NOT work that way. In the case of a CDI, or MSD 6, etc, the coil becomes a transformer, and the ignition "when it fires" discharges a big pulse into the coil. This is similar to an electronic photoflash, which also uses a big capacitor, hence the name Capacitor Discharge Ignition.

The MSD "ready to run" is a conventional ignition, similar to points, Mopar breakerless, or pertronix, or GM HEI. That is, the trigger switches the coil NEG to ground, and the coil + is fed DC power from the electrical system.

MSD CDI (or any other CD) DOES NOT work that way. In the case of a CDI, or MSD 6, etc, the coil becomes a transformer, and the ignition "when it fires" discharges a big pulse into the coil. This is similar to an electronic photoflash, which also uses a big capacitor, hence the name Capacitor Discharge Ignition.
Another reason is the CDI is multi-strike at lower RPM, so the tach would read way too high in the multi-strike range.

Another reason is the CDI is multi-strike at lower RPM, so the tach would read way too high in the multi-strike range.

Just to clear this up, "MSD" CDI is multi strike, hence the name, "MS" for "multiple spark"

I know Dave knows this, LOL

-
Back