MSD Atomic EFI

-
i did do a search was checking to see if any other members might have installed one

i did do a search was checking to see if any other members might have installed one

I have another buddy that installed one on his small block chevelle last weekend.
He called me last night and was telling me how much he likes it compared to his Holley.

The " high horsepower " kit is good up to 620 h.p. ?
Don't get me wrong , I have used MSD products since 1978 and have had nothing but good luck with each. ( 5's , 6's , 6AL's , 7 AL's , wires , coils , caps , and other gizmos and doo dads ) , but 620 h.p. doesn't quite rise to the level of high horsepower , does it ?
Especially with a big block.
I know that there are other options out there , and the money isn't dramatically different.
But I think there should be a bigger gap between the standard and high H.P. kits.

EZ-EFI 2.0 rated up to 1000hp

I'm looking into the MSD too. You don't need a regulator nor a return line and it seems like there's less of a wiring mess than the EZ-EFI.

EZ-EFI 2.0 rated up to 1000hp

I'm looking into the MSD too. You don't need a regulator nor a return line and it seems like there's less of a wiring mess than the EZ-EFI.

Really..I know the 1.0 you need a return line and all they are doing with 2.0 is updating the carb and management system. IT can handle more fuels, but still not boost or nitrous. I think it still needs a return line, but love that you don't need dual like the 1.0 did

JMO, but if it won't support nitrous/forced induction, its not worth it. There are competitors for the same or less cash that do more.(like holley avenger efi)

They are talking about real horsepower - not cruise night braggin horsepower...lol.
I am hip deep in a N/A small block that should be well over 600 h.p.
Yes...a street car , that will see a fair bit of track time as well.
I don't see 600 h.p. as being that large a number.......especially with a big block , where ever you drive it.
There are kits available that will support much higher numbers with matching price tags , but the big difference seems to be injector size , data inputs and mapping....neither of which should double the price tag to my way of thinking.
If my pockets were deeper , I'd have EFI on the build I am currently working on.
I am warming up to the notion of tuning with a lap top , and the precision you can add to your tune up via the huge amount of data gathered while running. I was never really a genius with carbs anyway , so for eliminating the guess work alone it makes sense.
It is the way of the future. I just haven't caught up to it yet. lol

The 600 hp limit is based on injector size. It has been my experience that injectors will typically supply a lot more than their given rating, if the tune is right.

I've had Ford Lightning injectors (42 lb hr) support 500hp [/i]at the tires[/i]. I believe the MSD systems come with 85 lb hr injectors. Be warned this was a multi port setup, not TBI.

If you're going EFI, run a return-style system, especially if you're going to be playing at the top end of the horsepower range. Returnless is a pain in the rear, and it seems they work absolutely great right up until the point of failure.

Holley is coming out with a system I saw at the PRI show. Its called Terminator EFI and is a different design than their Avenger and such. It supposedly has a throttle body similar to what is used on the Cup cars, and has annular discharge that is supposedly superior to MSD's booster design. Its also supposed to be able to handle up to three stages of nitrous, forced induction, etc. They say it will run either TBI or multi-port - of course youd have to have your manifold converted and buy additional injectors.

It is usable with a laptop without spending more money.

I don't know what the cost is going to be, but it was very impressive at the show.

http://www.holley.com/550-406.asp

I installed one of these on my friends stroked 340. I recommend going with the regulator and return line. He already had a new 3/8" stock location feed fuel line so I plumbed to it for the return. He is very happy with it.

Absolutely the best improvement for my 5.7. It was built in 2007 when no parts were available and I chose to put a carb on it. This engine does not like a carb, driveability issues were always a problem. The Atomic has been fantastic on it. Definitely put it with the return line and a quality regulator. I put the system on and found that the pump would get hot and quit. No longer a concern after the return system installed. MSD has a Pontiac at over 600 horses that runs the Atomic system, it will handle about anything you can put it on. It will not sit on the starting line on a rev limiter though. There is no provision to keep the system from learning the tune while it is on the rev limit from another component.

-
Back