MSD Distributor Install

-
Per MSD:

The coils are oil filled to keep internal windings cool, and they are filled to a certain point to allow for expansion. When laying on its side, it will expose the inner winding and can overheat.
That's some poor engineering if I do say so myself. Expansion? From what, the air they left in there? Per MSD ..."The MSD Blaster Coils and any other oil-filled, canister style coils should be mounted so that the high voltage coil tower is pointed upward." Now OEMs have been doing horizontal for generations so take it with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
Looks like 10G is needed:

Wire Length: All of the wires of the MSD Ignition may be shortened as long as quality connectors are used or soldered in place. To lengthen the wires, use one size bigger gauge wire (10 gauge for the power leads and 16 gauge for the other wires) with the proper connections. All connections must be soldered and sealed.

Ok guys I have the MSD distributor installed, the MSD coil mounted and the MSD 6AL mounted

I bought some 10G wire and an inline blade fuse and have the BLACK/RED wires from the MSD ignition box wired up, with ring terminal connects to the battery

The ORANGE/BLACK wires from the MSD ignition box I connected to the MSD coil

Last thing is the RED/WHITE wires from the MSD ignition box..........can someone help me out there? Instructions say:
RED to switched 12V
WHITE to points or amplified trigger

Where or how do I hook these last two up?

I believe the WHITE does not get use?

Last edited:
You don't use the white wire. Red goes to 12 volt , it turns the msd on and off. Usually the two wires from the ballast resistor are sliced together and connected to the small red wire.

So this is what I have:

Do I completely disconnect and remove the ballast?

Snapchat-1130081977.jpg

Does any of the stock ignition system or wiring need to be removed?

All Mopar V8's have a screwdrive like slot/ tang drive, so if you don't crank the engine when you pull the old one, just look and see at what plug tower the rotor points. Better yet, before you yank the old one, bump the engine around until the timing marks are "where you want" initial timing, AKA 15BTC or whatever. Now look at the rotor, it will be coming "to" either no1 or no6.

Just stick the new one in with the rotor in that position. The drive tang on the new one MAY NOT be referenced exactly to the old one so you will still have to adjust timing

On the MSD box the "big red" goes to a "heavy" 12V source such as the starter relay big stud. I would fuse/ breaker that wire. The "big black" goes to a good ground

The "small red" is the trigger/ switch wire, and it goes to your old ignition feed. Just bypass the coil resistor, take the old coil+ wire and connect that to the small red on the box.

The rest of it follow MSD destructions

The white MSD box wire, you can run into an unobtrusive toggle switch to ground, and it makes a simple not very obvious anti theft device. Don't forget to turn the switch OFF when attempting to start the car!!!

-
Back