MSD GRID

-

Rmoore

Reaction score
Anyone having a problem with their Grid not shifting where you set it ! For instance settings: looking set at 7000 shift point 7400 . Run the car down the track it shifts at 7600 ! So we change it to another setting , but still the same thing! Doesn’t shift where we want no matter what ! We can get it to shift at 7400 but we have to set for instance looking 6800 , shift point 7200 and it will shift at 7400 . Non of that is right ! Called MSD tech. Tech said to put a diode in the yellow tach wire , and move the tach wire away from other wires ! Then it should shift on point ! Anyone experienced this ! We are new to the grid , so we are pretty green !

Sigh….. and this is why I’ve avoided this route. Let us know what you find :(

Most of the people I know that use the Grid shift on time instead of rpm. So this is the first I heard of this

Most of the people I know that use the Grid shift on time instead of rpm. So this is the first I heard of this
Switched it to time based , didn’t help either ! We thought the same thing.. We set it to shift at 2.26 out , it shifts at 2.56 ! It’s crazy ! Just talked with MSD yesterday ! So we haven’t made in changes as of yet !

Switched it to time based , didn’t help either ! We thought the same thing.. We set it to shift at 2.26 out , it shifts at 2.56 ! It’s crazy ! Just talked with MSD yesterday ! So we haven’t made in changes as of yet !

All electronics have a slew rate. There is a wide rate of slew that is allowed before the box is rejected. You can pull your hair out or just learn how much off the box is, set it accordingly and live with it. You’ll never fix it because it is what it is.

I know that with the ACD air shifter in the AMX, he recommended setting the box 200 rpm lower then you want the shift rpm at.

All electronics have a slew rate. There is a wide rate of slew that is allowed before the box is rejected. You can pull your hair out or just learn how much off the box is, set it accordingly and live with it. You’ll never fix it because it is what it is.
I understand that ! Talked with several other racers that say the same thing.. Then , talked to a racer friend who just bought 5 second car that has a grid ! We looked at his data , which is setup to shift on time ! It’s dead nuts on ! So at that point I start walking the pits looking for race cars with grids ! Come up with most worked correctly ! Some did the same things !

So at this point you need to borrow a known good unit….

So at this point you need to borrow a known good unit….
Lol … We actually have 5 grids in our group of 21 cars .. 1 out of the five actually works correctly ! Tried what the MSD tech told us to do.. Went to the track today, no dice ! So we just hooked the shifter to Mega , problem solved… Shifts are dead on now !

-
Back